Jun 12, 2005
Monterey, CA
✟10,262.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Politics
US-Republican
Question....this seems to be the best forum for it but forgive me if wrong.

Hypothetical situation:

I have 3 kids, from a previous marriage that ended in death. She has two kids, also previous. We have none together. If we divorced, we each get the kids we originally had, right? Neither of us can legally claim custody (joint or otherwise) of the other's natural kids?

d

Macx

Aug 7, 2007
Twin Cities, Whittier-hood
✟7,657.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
State laws vary widely. You are going to need a lawyer, you should spend more than you think you can afford on the lawyer, because it will end up being cheaper than paying for the lawyer you can afford in the long run.

IANAL (Criminal Law is my specialty, civil law I have just dabbled in + personal experience) CA law goes to the best interest of the child. If there is something glaring like the spouse has developed a Meth habit and is doing petty theft to pay for the habit . . . you could end up with the spouse''s kids even though they aren't biologically yours. That is a pretty bold example, the less glaring the more it becomes about who can afford the better lawyer and who wants the kids.

Upvote 0

Macx

Aug 7, 2007
Twin Cities, Whittier-hood
✟7,657.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
It'll probably go to everybody getting what they want or she gets her two and you get your three, unless, she wants them all or you want them all and then the winner is the owner of the deeper pockets. Depending on your lawyers, what starts amicably can get bloody in a hurry to. Lawyers will try and provoke each side to push for a lil more, and a lil more. . . . they bill by the hour, quick and easy doesn't pay well for them.

Upvote 0

JBJoe

Apr 8, 2007
Pacific Northwest
Visit site
✟22,711.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

Dogbean

Matt 7:24-27 - Standing on the Rock
Jun 12, 2005
Monterey, CA
✟10,262.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Politics
US-Republican
Update: if this happens, I know I want my three biological kids, and she'd want her two, but she has declared she would fight for mine too. Who has the deeper pockets? All our money is blended right now, and we don't have all that much. What can happen? She has a past record with CPS, which was unsubstantiated. I'm in the military.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CrystalBrooke

I'm almost positive I don't care what you think
Jun 16, 2004
Tennessee
Visit site
✟19,777.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why on earth would anyone fight for custody of someone else's child?! Even if there is a bond between step mother and child, and the father isn't harmful to the children..she's got no reason to file for custody for YOUR children. I think you'll be fine.

Upvote 0

Dogbean

Jun 12, 2005
Monterey, CA
✟10,262.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Politics
US-Republican
She would try because of two reasons....she'd want to stick it to me, and she claims she's too attached to them.

But silly me...I would think if she loves my children so much, she'd respect them enough to build a good relationship with their father, but I guess that makes too much sense!

Upvote 0

Dogbean

Jun 12, 2005
Monterey, CA
✟10,262.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Politics
US-Republican
Does anyone know what kind of factors go into play when a judge considers alimony? We have been married for 3 years. I have three kids from previous marriage, she has two from previous marriage, and we have none together. I'll probably get stuck paying her car payment, cus I don't want her car, and I have more kids to take care of than her if we split. WOudl the judge consider all this and not force me to pay her a ton of additional cash?

Upvote 0

Hentenza

I will fear no evil for You are with me
Mar 27, 2007
On the bus to Heaven
✟60,078.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Dear Dogbean,

Brother, you really need to get legal advice from a professional. Have you thought about asking if there is a lawyer in your church that might help you? Also, doesn't the military have programs for inexpensive or free legal advice?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums