Atlanta
✟18,695.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I've been attending church for a small amount of time and can't count how many people, mostly women, who felt judged and rejected by their former church family after they had a divorce. I know plenty of people have heard this before. Every Christian should know that the divorcee is accountable for their actions before GOD. Every Christian should know that it is their job to support their brothers and sisters and help them along the path to redemption when they fall.

What is behind this destructive epidemic within the church and does anyone have theories on how we can make it better?

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I personally am fully against divorce. However this is a subject where there is no middle ground really, so whichever side your on, you are treated poorly. Alot of it comes from the fact more and more christians are rejecting Gods Word and divorcing, especially for petty reasons. So those older christians think the younger ones are more "new age" in their views since at least in America divorce is now common and the best way out.

In the end it is true though. Neither side really comes together and acts like they should when a divorce happens. I may not agree with divorced but I certainly will not shun someone who is divorced. If they get remarried, I will not agree about it, but I will still support them. People need to remember its not our place to judge them and treat them like they are judged. They will stand in front of God for their actions just as we will stand in front of God for our actions.

Upvote 0

PollyJetix

Feb 15, 2017
Virginia
✟35,433.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I've been attending church for a small amount of time and can't count how many people, mostly women, who felt judged and rejected by their former church family after they had a divorce. I know plenty of people have heard this before. Every Christian should know that the divorcee is accountable for their actions before GOD. Every Christian should know that it is their job to support their brothers and sisters and help them along the path to redemption when they fall.

What is behind this destructive epidemic within the church and does anyone have theories on how we can make it better?
What is behind it, is the mistaken historical stand of the church on divorce.
The New Testament has been viewed as a replacement of the Old Testament.
As if Christ came along and threw out all of the moral code of Moses, replacing it with a new, higher, better standard.

But when Jesus walked this earth, teaching among men, He did not do this in a vacuum.
He operated within a particular culture, and in a specific historical setting, and was responding to very specific forces at work in 1st-century Jewish culture.

When Jesus said, "Ye have heard it said by them of old time... but I say unto you...", He was not referring to Moses and the prophets! His intro to the Sermon on the Mount makes that crystal-clear.

Instead, "them of old time" were the founding rabbis of the Pharisee sect!

Jesus was pointing out how the teachings of those rabbis (and their Pharisee followers) fell far short of what the Old Testament actually said!

Every single one of those "but I say unto you" teachings are actually found in the Old Testament!
Every single one!

Jesus was bringing the Judaism of his day back to the moral code that God gave Moses at Mount Sinai.

But the Christianity of the Early Dark Ages saw the New Testament completely differently, as they began to persecute the Jews as "Christ-Killers." Instead of seeing Jesus through Jewish eyes, they saw Jesus as setting up a completely separate moral code.

And that's how the New Testament passages about divorce and remarriage came to be seen in such a twisted, deformed way.

Look at it this way...
Deuteronomy 24:1 and 2 gives an ORDER to any man who might wish to put his wife away. (Not that God wanted them to--which is how the Pharisees misread it--but that IF a man was going to throw his wife out, this was the order to HIM.) There was absolutely no allowance given for a man to kick his wife out, without giving her divorce papers. No separation without divorce papers.

And the reason for those divorce papers is clear in verse 2. And when she is departed, she may go and be the wife of another man. God's permission: "she may."

Now, in that passage, it goes on to describe how God viewed breaking up with a second husband, in order to remarry the first one: He called it an abomination.

Abomination!

The divorce was not the abomination.
The remarriage was not the abomination.

The only act in the entire sorry scenario was to go back to the original marriage partner.

Which is precisely what the anti-divorce-and-remarriage churches require!

Now, I ask you...
Would Jesus ever turn something His Father once decreed an abomination, into a New Testament command?

If He had--! Then it would have been utterly earth-shaking for the early church. It would have been a major doctrine, and would have gotten a lot of attention in the epistles.
Every law-abiding Jew would have gone through a major shift, in throwing out the old moral code, and instead requiring the opposite of what God had decreed.

But the early church had no such problem. They kept right on keeping the law, until the Gentiles came in... and then said they didn't have to keep the Law as strictly as the Jewish church did. But not one word to them about forbidding remarriage after divorce. Not one word of all the divorce-and-remarriage situations needing to break up and get back with their original partners!
Not one word!

Which is HUGE.
Historians tell us that divorce and remarriage was extremely common in both Jewish and Gentile cultures. Greeks and Romans divorced and remarried often, sometimes yearly. It was actually against Roman Law, for citizens to remain divorced longer than 2 years. The penalty for remaining unmarried after divorce was that if your neighbor reported you for not remarrying, he could take up to half of your assets!

Therefore, the early church was FULL of divorced-and-remarried couples.
And Paul said not one word about them needing to split.
Not one word.

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟188,628.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have not seen such treatment of divorcees really... I have been part of churches where high ranking members had been married multiple times for various reasons including divorce.

If that is so though it is sad. Almost as sad as how churches treat homosexuals.

Like there is a list of sins that are acceptable and are not. I can't remember the last time a church shunned some member for lying. Or a pastor for misconduct... etc.

Reactions: CrystalDragon
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,404.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married

Of course there are always the religious hypocrites who have never sinned in their lives, who pick on certain sins and drop condemnation bombs on those who commit them. I treat these people for what they are: religious hypocrites who came over the wall instead of coming to Christ through the narrow gate.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,404.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I personally am fully against divorce. However this is a subject where there is no middle ground really, so whichever side your on, you are treated poorly. Alot of it comes from the fact more and more christians are rejecting Gods Word and divorcing, especially for petty reasons. So those older christians think the younger ones are more "new age" in their views since at least in America divorce is now common and the best way out.

In the end it is true though. Neither side really comes together and acts like they should when a divorce happens. I may not agree with divorced but I certainly will not shun someone who is divorced. If they get remarried, I will not agree about it, but I will still support them. People need to remember its not our place to judge them and treat them like they are judged. They will stand in front of God for their actions just as we will stand in front of God for our actions.
It is interesting to note that divorce and remarriage is not the unforgivable sin. The Scripture says that all manner of sin and iniquity shall be forgiven. I believe that the innocent parties of the divorce have not sinned at all and are not accountable. Also, Jesus is our only Judge concernng these things, and He is our defence lawyer as well! We can't lose either way!

Reactions: ByTheSpirit
Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is interesting to note that divorce and remarriage is not the unforgivable sin. The Scripture says that all manner of sin and iniquity shall be forgiven. I believe that the innocent parties of the divorce have not sinned at all and are not accountable. Also, Jesus is our only Judge concernng these things, and He is our defence lawyer as well! We can't lose either way!
True they have not sinned if they did not initiate the divorce but are being divorced. However I do see it as a sin to remarry. Or more so in Gods eyes they are still married and basically trying to marry someone else. Legally in America they are free to remarry, but Gods law does not permit it. Though people are split on that. Especially when single again, its hard to deal with the fact you didn't choose the divorce but are yet punished by being told you can't remarry.

And who knows, maybe I am wrong. I know if I were divorced for some reason I too would struggle with the idea of not being able to remarry. Actually, and this is only my view in my own mind, I worry about what happens when I die when remarry. Would I go to hell for living in sin since I remarried? Or would God understand the need for companionship? Though with all this comes to the discussion of OSAS or not. Because if one does not believe in OSAS, then they would fear hell if they remarry. If not then OSAS would mean they can remarry and would still go to heaven.

Though obviously I don't think God would send someone to hell for sinning. I believe that only happens for those who totally abandoned God and Christianity, like practically become God hating atheists.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,404.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
True they have not sinned if they did not initiate the divorce but are being divorced. However I do see it as a sin to remarry. Or more so in Gods eyes they are still married and basically trying to marry someone else. Legally in America they are free to remarry, but Gods law does not permit it. Though people are split on that. Especially when single again, its hard to deal with the fact you didn't choose the divorce but are yet punished by being told you can't remarry.

And who knows, maybe I am wrong. I know if I were divorced for some reason I too would struggle with the idea of not being able to remarry. Actually, and this is only my view in my own mind, I worry about what happens when I die when remarry. Would I go to hell for living in sin since I remarried? Or would God understand the need for companionship? Though with all this comes to the discussion of OSAS or not. Because if one does not believe in OSAS, then they would fear hell if they remarry. If not then OSAS would mean they can remarry and would still go to heaven.

Though obviously I don't think God would send someone to hell for sinning. I believe that only happens for those who totally abandoned God and Christianity, like practically become God hating atheists.
Contrary to the views of some, the Bible is not intended as a lawbook for Christian believers. The Torah, which makes up a large proportion of the OT was a lawbook for Jews. When Jesus spoke about divorce, He was giving an example of the much higher standard of holiness needed by Christian believers - but it is a standard only Christ Himself could reach, and this is why He became a substitute for us when He died on the cross, and exchanged our sinfulness for His righteousness. The standards for holiness in the New Testament serves as a strong reminder of the standards of holiness and these are designed to drive us closer to Christ as our righteousness, and to the Holy Spirit within us to assist us to walk worthy of the calling that we have received. To use the New Testament as a lawbook is nothing more than us trying to establish our own righteousness; but if we try and do that then we are rejecting Christ's righteousness which was given to us as a free gift. If we do that, we reject Christ altogether and then we are in deep trouble. The New Testament says that those who try to live by the Law bring a curse on themselves. Why? They are rejecting Christ and His righteousness in preference to treating the New Testament as a lawbook to establish holiness by our own efforts.

Paul taught on divorce to the Corinthians because of a specific problem in the Corinthian church, where married men were divorcing their wives because they believed that the single life made them more spiritual and acceptable to God. If Paul thought that divorce and remarriage in general was so wrong for all believers, he would have taught it to all the churches and we would see references to it in Romans, Galatians, Thessalonians, and especially Timothy and Titus. But we don't, and I see that as significant. So a lot of negative teaching about divorce and remarriage is based on misquotes and quoting Scripture out of its context, and also misusing the Bible and making it a lawbook for Christians.

Also, my point is also, who is there to lay any charge to divorced and remarried Christians? God is in the justifying business, Jesus is our judge and defence lawyer at the same time and He died to save people not to condemn them. So if God the Father and Jesus are not going to lay any charge, who else is qualified to charge divorced and remarried Christians of sin? Only those who have never sinned in their lives. Only religious hypocrites who think they have never sinned and their faeces don't stink are the onces who try and pass judgement.

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
Contrary to the views of some, the Bible is not intended as a lawbook for Christian believers.

Good luck convincing some people of that one. You're probably damned already just for suggesting such a blasphemous thing. The idea! You aren't going to be a good Pharisee for long with *that* sort of attitude. :)

As for divorce and/or remarrying specifically, I agree with you that there's some historical context to consider when it comes to why Paul specifically wrote on the topic. While I would be very reluctant to suggest that divorce and remarrying are just fine and dandy...after all, there's a lot of harm caused by divorces even for non-religious reasons...I don't see any biblical evidence that a person can't be saved if they divorce/remarry, but the overall idea is that marriage isn't to be treated casually but as a serious commitment with serious responsibilities.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,404.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Good luck convincing some people of that one. You're probably damned already just for suggesting such a blasphemous thing. The idea! You aren't going to be a good Pharisee for long with *that* sort of attitude. :)

As for divorce and/or remarrying specifically, I agree with you that there's some historical context to consider when it comes to why Paul specifically wrote on the topic. While I would be very reluctant to suggest that divorce and remarrying are just fine and dandy...after all, there's a lot of harm caused by divorces even for non-religious reasons...I don't see any biblical evidence that a person can't be saved if they divorce/remarry, but the overall idea is that marriage isn't to be treated casually but as a serious commitment with serious responsibilities.

We'd all be damned if it wasn't for Jesus dying on the cross for us. First Century believers never had a New Testament, and Paul did not believe in them keeping the Law of Moses, so if New Testament believers had no written scriptures other than the Old Testament then how do you think they got their guidance about the will of God for them?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums