Papias

Listening to TW4
Dec 22, 2005
✟57,276.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Of course he can. He only needs to file the paperwork.

Whether or not *other people* in this or that denomination will approve of it is, of course, another matter.

Whether or not he personally interprets the scriptures (which contain verses saying one thing in one verse and the opposite thing in other verses) to say that he can, is, of course, another matter too.

In Christ-

Papias

Reactions: Jane_Doe
Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Can a married christian divorce or separated and remarry? Your advice please!
People that serve God are called to a higher standard.

James 3:1 "Not many of you should become teachers, my fellow believers, because you know that we who teach will be judged more strictly."

Matthew 19 "8 Jesus answered, “It was because of your hardness of heart that Moses permitted you to divorce your wives; but it was not this way from the beginning. 9 Now I tell you that whoever divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another woman, commits adultery.”"

1Cor7 "27 Are you committed to a wife? Do not seek to be released. Are you free of commitment? Do not look for a wife. 28 But if you do marry, you have not sinned. And if a virgin marries, she has not sinned. But those who marry will face troubles in this life, and I want to spare you this."

Malachi 2:16 NIV "The man who hates and divorces his wife," says the LORD, the God of Israel, "does violence to the one he should protect," says the LORD Almighty. So be on your guard, and do not be unfaithful.

• Agree
Reactions: Bigork
Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Different denominationshave different views on the matter.
We can always read the verses for ourselves and pray for God to give us understanding. The Holy Spirit is our Teacher to guide us and lead us into the truth.

Upvote 0

Endeavourer

Aug 30, 2017
Cloud 9
✟89,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I do not think that we should remarried after divorce. Malachi 2:16 says God hate divorce. What God has joined together let no one separate. What about that?

That's not what the Bible says.

It says God hates it when a man deals treacherously with the wife of his youth because that causes a putting away of the marriage:

Malachi 2:
14 Yet ye say, Wherefore? Because the Lord hath been witness between thee and the wife of thy youth, against whom thou hast dealt treacherously: yet is she thy companion, and the wife of thy covenant.
15 And did not he make one? Yet had he the residue of the spirit. And wherefore one? That he might seek a godly seed. Therefore take heed to your spirit, and let none deal treacherously against the wife of his youth.
16 For the Lord, the God of Israel, saith that he hateth putting away: for one covereth violence with his garment, saith the Lord of hosts: therefore take heed to your spirit, that ye deal not treacherously.

Reactions: Observer
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

snoochface

Meet the new boss -- same as the old boss.
Jan 3, 2005
San Marcos, CA
✟175,236.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
And the wife of his youth is his faith in and relationship with God. God hates the divorce between Israel and himself.

You can't ignore the words of Jesus when he gives two reasons for divorce to be permissible.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
When a marriage ends, for whatever reason, the two individuals should carefully examine their selves and their circumstances with a view to the rest of their lives. In my case that turned out to be remarriage. My first wife and I parted in 1972 and I remarried in 1976. We are still happily married after 41 years.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You can't ignore the words of Jesus when he gives two reasons for divorce to be permissible.
Or the "why."

Matthew 19:8
He *said to them, “Because of your hardness of heart Moses permitted you to divorce your wives; but from the beginning it has not been this way.​

Remember, Moses only wrote that which God told him to write. Divorce was protecting someone from the hurtful actions of a hard heart. 3 times the author of Hebrews quotes Psalm 95: "Today if you hear His voice do not harden your heart ..." So apparently it is possible to have a hard heart even as a believer.

Upvote 0

snoochface

Meet the new boss -- same as the old boss.
Jan 3, 2005
San Marcos, CA
✟175,236.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
1 Cor 7:

10To the married I give this charge (not I, but the Lord): the wife should not separate from her husband 11(but if she does, she should remain unmarried or else be reconciled to her husband), and the husband should not divorce his wife.

12To the rest I say (I, not the Lord) that if any brother has a wife who is an unbeliever, and she consents to live with him, he should not divorce her. 13If any woman has a husband who is an unbeliever, and he consents to live with her, she should not divorce him. 14For the unbelieving husband is made holy because of his wife, and the unbelieving wife is made holy because of her husband. Otherwise your children would be unclean, but as it is, they are holy. 15But if the unbelieving partner separates, let it be so. In such cases the brother or sister is not enslaved. God has called youb to peace. 16For how do you know, wife, whether you will save your husband? Or how do you know, husband, whether you will save your wife?

Matthew 5:

31 “It was also said, ‘Whoever divorces his wife, let him give her a certificate of divorce.’ 32 But I say to you that everyone who divorces his wife, except on the ground of sexual immorality, makes her commit adultery, and whoever marries a divorced woman commits adultery.

Matthew 19 - in context, says the same thing as Matthew 5:

7 They said to him, “Why then did Moses command one to give a certificate of divorce and to send her away?” 8 He said to them, “Because of your hardness of heart Moses allowed you to divorce your wives, but from the beginning it was not so. 9 And I say to you: whoever divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another, commits adultery.”

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ValleyGal

Dec 19, 2012
✟114,245.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Divorced
www.divorcehope.com provides a pretty good study on the issue.

"God hates divorce" is taken out of context. The website goes into detail, but the original word used is for "separating without the benefit of divorce" that god hates. But then God hates a lot of things... and there is still concession for us because he knows we are prone to messing up.

The passage in Corinthians talks about several groups of people, including the married, widowed, virgins and UNmarried. We can safely assume that is divorced because other groups have been identified separately. To the UNmarried, Paul says that it's better not to marry, but it's better to marry than to burn with passion.

I am not advocating divorce, but I believe it is there as a concession to the wronged spouse - people are not doomed to live alone and lonely for a lifetime simply because they or their spouse (or both) messed up. God is not punitive.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Of course he can. He only needs to file the paperwork.
I think the question has to do with the Judgement Throne of Christ when we will be judged for our works and receive reward or suffer loss.

2 Corinthians 5:10
For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each one may be recompensed for his deeds in the body, according to what he has done, whether good or bad.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I do not think that we should remarried after divorce. Malachi 2:16 says God hate divorce. What God has joined together let no one separate. What about that?
I had an Episcopal Priest tell me that passage does not talk about a man and his wife it talks about Christ and His church. He got a divorce himself 6 months after that and a year after he told me that he died from aids.

I am pretty sure God hates divorce even if it is a reflection of the fallen world we live in.

Reactions: Bigork
Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟192,560.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes, any American regardless of faith can file for divorce and remarry legally. You can’t seperate and remarry. You’d have to divorce first.

If the question is if one can divorce and remarry as a Christian from an ethical, moral, or spiritual standpoint, the answer varies. Since it varies from person to person, demonination to denomination, and interpretation to interpretation. Since Christians divorce and remarry all the time, there are plenty who find no issue with it.

Ultimately, the ethics of it is between you and God as this, like everything else in life, is one of the many topics you will never find a universal consensus.

Upvote 0

Bigork

Sep 27, 2017
Lagos
✟9,256.00
Country
Nigeria
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Universal/denomination and what have you does not and can not over rides God's laws and rules that guides marriage. I think no matter what the situation will be in our marriages, God want us to be in peace with everyone. Even when we are having problems in our homes, it is our responsibility to take our case to the Lord in prayer. However, even if we decided to divorce, we might have to remain unmarried because the bible tells us that marriage vows must be kept till death do us part. Even when we divorce, it is our responsibility to continue praying to God to intervene in the matter. More-so, after divorce, and we want to remarry, we will be committing adultery.

Upvote 0