✟9,211.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Divorced
The Allegheny Wesleyan Methodist Connection, in its 2014 Discipline, teaches:

"We believe that the only legitimate marriage is the joining of one man and one woman (Gen. 2:24; Rom. 7:2; 1 Cor. 7:10; Eph. 5:22, 23). We deplore the evils of divorce and remarriage. We regard adultery as the only scripturally justifiable grounds for divorce; and the party guilty of adultery has by his or her act forfeited membership in the church. In the case of divorce for other cause, neither party shall be permitted to marry again during the lifetime of the other; and violation of this law shall be punished by expulsion from the church (Matt. 5:32; Mark 10:11, 12). In the carrying out of these principles, guilt shall be established in accordance with judicial procedures set forth in The Discipline."

Does everyone here agree?

So, if they remarry and the divorce wasn't for adultery, how do they repent?

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Allegheny Wesleyan Methodist Connection, in its 2014 Discipline, teaches:

"We believe that the only legitimate marriage is the joining of one man and one woman (Gen. 2:24; Rom. 7:2; 1 Cor. 7:10; Eph. 5:22, 23). We deplore the evils of divorce and remarriage. We regard adultery as the only scripturally justifiable grounds for divorce; and the party guilty of adultery has by his or her act forfeited membership in the church. In the case of divorce for other cause, neither party shall be permitted to marry again during the lifetime of the other; and violation of this law shall be punished by expulsion from the church (Matt. 5:32; Mark 10:11, 12). In the carrying out of these principles, guilt shall be established in accordance with judicial procedures set forth in The Discipline."

Does everyone here agree?
That's pretty good. I go one step further saying divorce does not exist in God's sight any more than SSM laws or Abortion laws. So separation on grounds of adultery or physical abuse is permitted. But people are still married for life.

Upvote 0

nanookadenord

May 28, 2016
Florida
✟47,565.00
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
That's pretty good. I go one step further saying divorce does not exist in God's sight any more than SSM laws or Abortion laws. So separation on grounds of adultery or physical abuse is permitted. But people are still married for life.

That's the legalistic view.

I'm sure God is not going to punish someone who was abused during marriage for divorcing and remarrying. Especially if beat within an inch of their life.

You act as though the abused is also to blame for the abuser abusing them and God is up there saying too bad so sad you're stuck alone for the rest of your life. For some that could 50+ years of being alone.

If that is what God wants, maybe God isn't who I want to follow and worship because he's a cruel God that doesn't truly care for His creation!

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: Andrewn
Upvote 0

somuchjoy

Aug 2, 2019
Radford
✟9,211.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Divorced
What about if children are involved? Of course I believe the man is responsible for the children. One couple said they will remain in the same home but remain celibate and split rooms. Thoughts?

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What about if children are involved? Of course I believe the man is responsible for the children. One couple said they will remain in the same home but remain celibate and split rooms. Thoughts?
Children suffer for bad reasons in divorce every day. But they can suffer for good reasons if their remarried parents repent of their sin. All become winners in glory.

Upvote 0

~Zao~

Wisdom’s child
Site Supporter
Jun 27, 2007
✟100,595.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Isn’t that rhetorical hyperbole to use an example contrary to what the bible teaches about marriage vows? The whole point is that the 1st husband (law) must die. Or there is no new marriage (rebirth) So if the old husband is still alive, or iow, the old nature is still at work and controlling you then you will remain married to it (law/old nature) and being a Christian, even in Name, is not an option.

Reactions: somuchjoy
Upvote 0

nanookadenord

May 28, 2016
Florida
✟47,565.00
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Children suffer for bad reasons in divorce every day. But they can suffer for good reasons if their remarried parents repent of their sin. All become winners in glory.

So, what I hear you saying is that children produced from a remarriage will suffer for good reasons if their parents repent by divorcing?

• Agree
Reactions: LizaMarie
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
A question that was posed by an elder, would staying in the adultery truly be repenting? He states it is an ongoing adulterous union as long as the "true" spouse is living. He told her if she was truly saved, she would run from this union.
This is a good and honest question, and cannot be answered on this forum - too much opposition to the truth.
However, this much can be said, yes, if ANYONE marries someone who has a previous spouse still alive, they both are guilty of adultery according to Scripture.
Would committing divorce (already a sin) AGAIN, repeating the SAME SIN, remedy the first sin of divorce ? (no)

Reactions: somuchjoy
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marriage is for life regardless if they separate from an abusive relationship or not.
Compare this with being a slave in the New Testament Instructions/ (not like the slaves in the untied states)....

Or /and even to all believers everywhere, regardless of their status: married, unmarried, slave , free .....

Are believers promised freedom from harsh treatment, or are they guaranteed it ? and what do they do in Scripture when threatened, beaten, arrested, and executed ?
"resist not the evil" is written somewhere, isn't it ?

Reactions: Dave L
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

nanookadenord

May 28, 2016
Florida
✟47,565.00
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
There is good information here: Divorce Book | Divorced Christain | Christian Divorce Advice | Divorce Guilt

It is scriptural, even though there are those that will say it's not.

I wouldn't have been given my girlfriend by God after praying for her, and the relationship being the best I have ever been in if divorce and remarriage was sin.

As someone once said in these forums, "First Corinthians 7:8-9 address the UNmarried and widows, saying it's good to marry if they cannot control their passions. Paul addresses virgins later, so we know that those who are unmarried are those who were, but are no longer, married."

• Informative
Reactions: actionsub
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
What would be rebellious in this situation? Staying in the marriage or divorcing?
Seeking or approving of divorce for a believer trusting in Yahuweh is what is rebellious/ or disobedient, transgressing the Law, TORAH, thus sinful.
Staying in , or not dissolving the marriage, because Yahuweh hates divorce, and it was permitted once in the OT only because of the hardness of people's hearts, but it is still written and true today: what Yahuweh has joined together should not be torn apart, even though with much hardship and many troubles needed to endure.

Reactions: Dave L
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
so.....we're back to stoning people?
Is that what you want to do ?
Rather, as Jesus said about the people who died when the tower fell on them,
unless each one repents, they shall all likewise perish.
i.e. far far worse than stoning I think, to be judged on Judgment Day instead of in this lifetime with time remaining, Yahuweh Willing, to repent of sin.

Upvote 0

somuchjoy

Aug 2, 2019
Radford
✟9,211.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Divorced
Seeking or approving of divorce for a believer trusting in Yahuweh is what is rebellious/ or disobedient, transgressing the Law, TORAH, thus sinful.
Staying in , or not dissolving the marriage, because Yahuweh hates divorce, and it was permitted once in the OT only because of the hardness of people's hearts, but it is still written and true today: what Yahuweh has joined together should not be torn apart, even though with much hardship and many troubles needed to endure.
I had one of the couples state that they would remain in the same home, but split the home into separate residences-like a town home. They have children and do not want the children flipped back and forth. I honestly haven't told either couple anything, other than pray. It is a very hot topic in today's world-at least for those who come to believe Jesus is their savior.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It is a very hot topic in today's world-at least for those who come to believe Jesus is their savior.
I wanted to remind all that Joyce Meyer is divorced and remarried. No one, probably, is more anointed by God than her.

To all those who participated in this thread: Rethink your theology. The Catholic misinterpretation of the Lord's statement was accepted by conservative Protestants. This misinterpretation has destroyed many lives throughout the centuries.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: actionsub
Upvote 0

ProdigalGander

Dec 20, 2018
Pittsburgh
✟17,840.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
As an example, my own situation.

I was faithfully married for 25 years. I am Catholic. My wife for reasons I may never comprehend experienced some sort of a psychological meltdown and ran off. She moved to another state, filed for divorce, and began cohabitating with a man who had spent time in prison. Since our divorce became final she has married him in a civil ceremony.

Now, what exactly am I supposed to do about this? The civil law gave my spouse the freedom to leave and to file for divorce. I stalled for as long as I could, but eventually civil law will compel the divorce to become final.

My Church teaches that my options are as follows.

1) Remain celibate for the rest of my life. I am still relatively young and don't think that I wish to do this.

2) Go to the Church Tribunal and obtain an annulment.

The annulment is basically a finding that your marriage never existed in the first place, because your spouse was too immature when she took her vows, or whatever. My problem with that is that it would force me to lie. Our marriage was very, very real from the day we said "I do" until she experienced this mental breakdown a quarter-century later. For me to go before a tribunal and say otherwise would be a lie. Are they really telling me that God wants me to lie?

I am not going to lie to these people just so they can feel better about their stubbornness. The Church's model of things only works in a paradigm where Church law and civil law are one and the same. In that scenario they could just refuse to grant any divorces. This is not the case any longer in any Western country. So millions upon millions of us become caught in their Catch 22.

The fact that the Catholic Priesthood has ongoing sexual abuse problems is another issue. I fail to see why I should allow them to be the judges of my sexual morality.

• Informative
Reactions: LizaMarie
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
The fact that the Catholic Priesthood has ongoing sexual abuse problems is another issue. I fail to see why I should allow them to be the judges of my sexual morality.
Follow Jesus.

(He forbids remarriage as long as your first spouse is alive)

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
I wanted to remind all that Joyce Meyer is divorced and remarried. No one, probably, is more anointed by God than her.
Or, probably not.
Yesterday she repeated three things that "god" told her early in the ministry.
Funny thing is, it isn't what Scripture says.
So, her annointing might not be Godly.....

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist

Too all those who participated in this thread: Rethink your theology. The Catholic misinterpretation of the Lord's statement was accepted by conservative Protestants. This interpretation has destroyed many lives throughout the centuries.
How many lives will j.m. 'destroy' ? with her mis-interpretations ? (see online reviews for details)

Upvote 0