Divorce and remarriage

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
I have accepted God's Word and obeyed, but see in your rush to condemn me you have missed where I repented of being divorced by my ex-wife. Basically, she was an unbeliever. Did that cross your mind?
The Bible DOES NOT SAY that it is a sin to let the unbelieving spouse go.

It says PLAINLY that to remarry while that spouse, divorced or not, is still alive, is adultery.

So repentance from sin would be to repent of allowing remarriage, of thinking it was ever okay, and of doing it. (at least).

Now it is more repentance needed for speaking against God's Word also....

Upvote 0

nanookadenord

May 28, 2016
Florida
✟47,565.00
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
The Bible DOES NOT SAY that it is a sin to let the unbelieving spouse go.

It says PLAINLY that to remarry while that spouse, divorced or not, is still alive, is adultery.

So repentance from sin would be to repent of allowing remarriage, of thinking it was ever okay, and of doing it. (at least).

Now it is more repentance needed for speaking against God's Word also....

I'll see you in heaven Jeff.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Reactions: somuchjoy
Upvote 0

nanookadenord

May 28, 2016
Florida
✟47,565.00
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟721,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
So, I know this is a topic that is rampant in all forums. I have a hard time with how to reply to this myself. I am divorced, and not looking to be remarried, so it has no bearings on me. BUT, I do know couples who have come to believe and trust in Jesus as their Lord and Savior, and they do not know what to do because they have been divorced and remarried before knowing or caring what Jesus said on the matter. What if the "exception clause" is for the engagement period only? I want to be careful not to be deceived or deceive others who may ask. I know all sins will be forgiven but blasphemy of the Holy Spirit. What does one do in this case for true repentance? Thanks to everyone for a response!

To clarify, I am divorced not of my doing. My husband wanted the divorce, and in America, what you want is what you will get, regardless of what the other wants.

3 elements of repentance

First

there is conviction of the Holy Spirit. You must know what is right before you can know what is wrong

Second

Is a sincere regret over past sins and an earnest desire to walk in a new path of righteousness.

Third

Change ... changing–changing your mind, changing your attitude, changing your ways.

and Jesus helps one with all of these, it is His work in the believer.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
o, I know this is a topic that is rampant in all forums. I have a hard time with how to reply to this myself. I am divorced, and not looking to be remarried, so it has no bearings on me. BUT, I do know couples who have come to believe and trust in Jesus as their Lord and Savior, and they do not know what to do because they have been divorced and remarried before knowing or caring what Jesus said on the matter. What if the "exception clause" is for the engagement period only? I want to be careful not to be deceived or deceive others who may ask. I know all sins will be forgiven but blasphemy of the Holy Spirit. What does one do in this case for true repentance? Thanks to everyone for a response!
Note that the "exception" is ONLY for divorce (and yes, only during betrothal period, not after the marriage is consumated),
NOT for re-marriage while the first spouse is ALIVE. This is not permitted in Scripture.

Repentance should be accomplished, God's Way, not sinning more by doing another divorce going back to the first one. ....
3 elements of repentance

First

there is conviction of the Holy Spirit. You must know what is right before you can know what is wrong

Second

Is a sincere regret over past sins and an earnest desire to walk in a new path of righteousness.

Third

Change ... changing–changing your mind, changing your attitude, changing your ways.

and Jesus helps one with all of these, it is His work in the believer.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟721,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Note that the "exception" is ONLY for divorce (and yes, only during betrothal period, not after the marriage is consumated),
NOT for re-marriage while the first spouse is ALIVE. This is not permitted in Scripture.

Repentance should be accomplished, God's Way, not sinning more by doing another divorce going back to the first one. ....

Matthew 19:9
9 Now I tell you that whoever divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another woman, commits adultery.”

A spouse who has violated the marriage vow and who is divorced does not have the moral right to marry another ... while the spouse who has been faithful to the marriage vow still lives and remains unmarried and chaste.

This man did not remain unmarried and chaste.

In this case, when the man had sexual relations with another woman, he committed adultery and the woman (first wife) is free to marry another, if she wants to.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So, I know this is a topic that is rampant in all forums. I have a hard time with how to reply to this myself. I am divorced, and not looking to be remarried, so it has no bearings on me. BUT, I do know couples who have come to believe and trust in Jesus as their Lord and Savior, and they do not know what to do because they have been divorced and remarried before knowing or caring what Jesus said on the matter. What if the "exception clause" is for the engagement period only? I want to be careful not to be deceived or deceive others who may ask. I know all sins will be forgiven but blasphemy of the Holy Spirit. What does one do in this case for true repentance? Thanks to everyone for a response!

To clarify, I am divorced not of my doing. My husband wanted the divorce, and in America, what you want is what you will get, regardless of what the other wants.

Divorce is just one more in a long line of sins.

Repent and try not to divorce or sin again.
Love the wife you are with.
Love the one you are with.

M-Bob

• Agree
Reactions: actionsub
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

somuchjoy

Aug 2, 2019
Radford
✟9,211.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Divorced
I wonder what their "different" views are.
The one church believes it is not a sin to remarry in certain circumstances. The other believes some circumstances may give someone a legit reason to divorce, but it is not ideal. The one who believes it is not ideal believes that if it should happen, especially before salvation, you are a new creature and you will not want to sin anymore...getting another divorce. Please note, I am not saying I agree or disagree with either, hence why I have asked.

Upvote 0

somuchjoy

Aug 2, 2019
Radford
✟9,211.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Divorced
As Scripture says, most girls do not go to heaven. Most are never saved. (boys too)

But if she repents of any sin and "stays", it won't be because she "stays". As God Directs her , probably she should "stay", after repenting? and then continue doing what is right thereafter, realizing not to sin again ?
A question that was posed by an elder, would staying in the adultery truly be repenting? He states it is an ongoing adulterous union as long as the "true" spouse is living. He told her if she was truly saved, she would run from this union.

Upvote 0

somuchjoy

Aug 2, 2019
Radford
✟9,211.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Divorced
"can be forgiven" ...
I agree,
yes, if they repent....
and , in repentance,
if they don't remain rebellious against God and Jesus and transgressing the commands.
What would be rebellious in this situation? Staying in the marriage or divorcing?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

somuchjoy

Aug 2, 2019
Radford
✟9,211.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Divorced

I just saw this, thank you for your responses!

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Unmarried they would be fornicating.
Of course, isn't this better than being married, getting divorced, and then committing adultery?

On a more serious note, we find that the Lord's disciples objected that "If this is the relationship of a man with his wife, it is better not to marry.”

And the Lord said to them, “Not everyone can accept this saying, but only those to whom it has been given."

So, after the Lord stated the ideal / perfect situation, He left it up to the person to accept depending on the marital relationship and its circumstances that only those involved in the relationship can understand: not the government or the Church who ended up forcing people to stay in abusive relationships for centuries.

Reactions: Sam91
Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Of course, isn't this better than being married, getting divorced, and then committing adultery?

On a more serious note, we find that the Lord's disciples objected that "If this is the relationship of a man with his wife, it is better not to marry.”

And the Lord said to them, “Not everyone can accept this saying, but only those to whom it has been given."

So, after the Lord stated the ideal / perfect situation, He left it up to the person to accept depending on the marital relationship and its circumstances that only those involved in the relationship can understand: not the government or the Church who ended up forcing people to stay in abusive relationships for centuries.
Marriage is for life regardless if they separate from an abusive relationship or not.

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
A question that was posed by an elder, would staying in the adultery truly be repenting? He states it is an ongoing adulterous union as long as the "true" spouse is living. He told her if she was truly saved, she would run from this union.
Woe to you legal experts too, because you load people down with burdens too difficult to carry, and you yourselves do not touch these burdens with one of your fingers.

• Winner
Reactions: Sam91
Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Marriage is for life regardless if they separate from an abusive relationship or not.
The Allegheny Wesleyan Methodist Connection, in its 2014 Discipline, teaches:

"We believe that the only legitimate marriage is the joining of one man and one woman (Gen. 2:24; Rom. 7:2; 1 Cor. 7:10; Eph. 5:22, 23). We deplore the evils of divorce and remarriage. We regard adultery as the only scripturally justifiable grounds for divorce; and the party guilty of adultery has by his or her act forfeited membership in the church. In the case of divorce for other cause, neither party shall be permitted to marry again during the lifetime of the other; and violation of this law shall be punished by expulsion from the church (Matt. 5:32; Mark 10:11, 12). In the carrying out of these principles, guilt shall be established in accordance with judicial procedures set forth in The Discipline."

Does everyone here agree?

Upvote 0