Radford
✟9,211.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Divorced
Exactly true, each should remain in that state in which they were called.
1 Cor 7
17 But as God has distributed to each one, as the Lord has called each one, so let him walk. And so I ordain in all the churches. 18 Was anyone called while circumcised? Let him not become uncircumcised. Was anyone called while uncircumcised? Let him not be circumcised. 19 Circumcision is nothing and uncircumcision is nothing, but keeping the commandments of God is what matters. 20 Let each one remain in the same calling in which he was called. 21 Were you called while a slave? Do not be concerned about it; but if you can be made free, rather use it. 22 For he who is called in the Lord while a slave is the Lord’s freedman. Likewise he who is called while free is Christ’s slave. 23 You were bought at a price; do not become slaves of men. 24 Brethren, let each one remain with God in that state in which he was called.
I have also heard that. But I have heard too that the verb tense makes the adultery continuous and to not be deceived, adulterers will not inherit the kingdom of Heaven.

Upvote 0

somuchjoy

Aug 2, 2019
Radford
✟9,211.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Divorced
I am married to a divorced man, and this has been a hard subject. His first wife left and married someone else. We did not know what the Bible said. I wasn't saved at the time and I dont know what to do.
I am so sorry! I know this is not easy for you!

Upvote 0

somuchjoy

Aug 2, 2019
Radford
✟9,211.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Divorced
I like the PRC and think they are right about divorce and remarriage only I arrive at the same conclusion in a more simple way. God does not provide for divorce in the New Covenant. I do not have a home church but really like the PRC.
If someone does marry a divorcee and they split to repent, is the one who married the divorcee allowed to marry if it wasn't seen as a marriage?

Upvote 0

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,588.00
Faith
Christian
I have also heard that. But I have heard too that the verb tense makes the adultery continuous and to not be deceived, adulterers will not inherit the kingdom of Heaven.

A born of God person can still sin, but their sin is against the body, the deeds done in the body, not the spirit of those born of God. The spirit of one born of God can not sin, that's a bold statement, but its the truth.
That which is born of God can not sin, there are no sexually immoral or sinful people united with God as one spirit with Him, and He made you born of God, you are not your own, you were a purchased possession.

People need to think what are they really, are they just flesh, or are they a spirit born of God having eternal life living in a temporary body of death, the flesh.

It is the spirit of a man which is born again and does not sin, It is the body and the mind which sins and therefore is dying and is dead, but the spirit born of God has eternal life forever unending.

1 John 5
18 We know that whoever is born of God does not sin; but he who has been born of God keeps himself (whole), and the wicked one does not touch him.

19 We know that we are of God, and the whole world lies under the sway of the wicked one.

20 And we know that the Son of God has come and has given us an understanding, that we may know Him who is true; and we are in Him who is true, in His Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God and eternal life.

21 Little children, keep yourselves from idols. Amen.

Romans 8
9 But you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. Now if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he is not His.

And if Christ is in you, the body is dead because of sin, but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.

11 But if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who dwells in you.

• Winner
Reactions: Dan61861
Upvote 0

~Zao~

Wisdom’s child
Site Supporter
Jun 27, 2007
✟100,595.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I am married to a divorced man, and this has been a hard subject. His first wife left and married someone else. We did not know what the Bible said. I wasn't saved at the time and I dont know what to do.
Follow law or follow Christ. Getting bogged down in legalities won’t do anyone any furtherance. But if you want to know what the OT says iirc Nehemiah said to get rid of all the foreign wives upon returning to rebuilding the temple.

Upvote 0

somuchjoy

Aug 2, 2019
Radford
✟9,211.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Divorced
Follow law or follow Christ. Getting bogged down in legalities won’t do anyone any furtherance. But if you want to know what the OT says iirc Nehemiah said to get rid of all the foreign wives upon returning to rebuilding the temple.
Yes, I just read this also. But someone had said that God did not tell them to, they decided to do that to repent-what is your take on that? Thank you for your response and in helping me understand!

Upvote 0

~Zao~

Wisdom’s child
Site Supporter
Jun 27, 2007
✟100,595.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yes, I just read this also. But someone had said that God did not tell them to, they decided to repent-what is your take on that? Thank you for your response and in helping me understand!
My response entails the spiritual aspect that is for Christians but this seems to be a more secular answer being sought for unbelievers. Sorry but that is just my opinion.

Upvote 0

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,588.00
Faith
Christian

Remain in the state in which the Lord called you. What you did beforehand you did in ignorance, yet God showed to you His mercy and grace regardless of your past, for those who are become a new creature in Christ, the old is gone, and the new is here.

• Winner
Reactions: Sam91
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

somuchjoy

Aug 2, 2019
Radford
✟9,211.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Divorced
My response entails the spiritual aspect that is for Christians but this seems to be a more secular answer being sought for unbelievers. Sorry but that is just my opinion.
I respect your response:) I know I try my best every day, but I will always fall short. I am thankful for the grace that is given to me through Jesus Christ! One of these girls came to Christ not even 2 months ago. She is simply afraid if she stays, she will not go to Heaven.

Upvote 0

~Zao~

Wisdom’s child
Site Supporter
Jun 27, 2007
✟100,595.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Remain in the state in which the Lord called you. What you did beforehand you did in ignorance, yet God showed to you His mercy and grace regardless of your past, for those who are become a new creature in Christ, the old is gone, and the new is here.
Quite frankly that state is called born-again. Do not return to the old and lose the flavour of the new. Racha’s.

Upvote 0

somuchjoy

Aug 2, 2019
Radford
✟9,211.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Divorced
Quite frankly that state is called born-again. Do not return to the old and lose the flavour of the new. Racha’s.
I am going to sound quite dense, and please forgive me-are you saying they are to stay as they are since being born again, or to not go back to their old way (being remarried) because their life is new? again, I am sorry for being so dense.

Upvote 0

nanookadenord

May 28, 2016
Florida
✟47,565.00
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single

My advice? Pray to God for your answers.

This is one subject where there is such a wide range of answers, that you will not know which way is up and which way is down when they are done.

I am on the side of the remarriage isn't the unforgivable sin and the marriage before has been broken by divorce. I will be getting remarried in the future as I repented of any wrong doing in not being able to make my wife happy.

Since the divorce God has blessed me with a wonderful woman and the relationship is unlike anything I have ever had before. We both prayed for someone like the other and God brought us together.

So, the key is prayer.

• Informative
Reactions: actionsub
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟719,091.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I agree completely. I have no desire to remarry. He has already remarried and has several children with his new wife. I cannot, in conscience, do that, because I know it is wrong. However, what about those who did it in ignorance? (my situation not being the reason for this question, because he did know it was wrong-or at least I showed him scripture and he chose not to believe).

There are several couples in the church I go to that are currently remarried. Some know it was a sin to remarry, others think it was no sin. However, those that know it was sin, they do not know what to do. Do they divorce their current spouse and live single? Is it continuous adultery? If someone knowingly does it, is there any hope for true repentance? Thank you for your biblical response :)

He has already remarried and has several children with his new wife.

He has committed adultery and you are free to marry if you wish.

Upvote 0

ProdigalGander

Dec 20, 2018
Pittsburgh
✟17,840.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
People divorce for all sorts of bad reasons. Divorce for a good reason would be repentance from an adulterous marriage.

so.....you're saying that if you were divorced and then remarried, and came to believe that this was wrong, divorcing your second spouse would be a GOOD thing?

I am not sure where you are getting that in the Bible. That second spouse is an innocent party and would not deserve this.

God is rational, and this course of action would appear to be irrational.

Jesus actually instructed Christians to NOT divorce an unbelieving spouse because this would be harmful to them. So why would He endorse what you are suggesting?

• Agree
Reactions: LizaMarie
Upvote 0

~Zao~

Wisdom’s child
Site Supporter
Jun 27, 2007
✟100,595.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I am going to sound quite dense, and please forgive me-are you saying they are to stay as they are since being born again, or to not go back to their old way (being remarried) because their life is new? again, I am sorry for being so dense.
I think that’s between you and God.

Reactions: somuchjoy
Upvote 0

~Zao~

Wisdom’s child
Site Supporter
Jun 27, 2007
✟100,595.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
so.....you're saying that if you were divorced and then remarried, and came to believe that this was wrong, divorcing your second spouse would be a GOOD thing?

I am not sure where you are getting that in the Bible. That second spouse is an innocent party and would not deserve this.

God is rational, and this course of action would appear to be irrational.

Jesus actually instructed Christians to NOT divorce an unbelieving spouse because this would be harmful to them. So why would He endorse what you are suggesting?
Peter seemed to understand that very well. He had left his vows to Christ by not standing on His Name. But Jesus would not divorce that. Peter said that women with members of the early church who didn’t believe what Jesus was saying to them should be silent so as not to occur the wrath of the unbelieving members. The example was in the suffering.

• Agree
Reactions: somuchjoy
Upvote 0