USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do not agree with that. Choosing to divorce again is a sin.
It is a breaking of a covenant. Even a covenant that is outside of God's will is still valid. Do a study on the Gibbeonites in the book of Joshua.
Sin remains unforgiven unless repented of.

Upvote 0

somuchjoy

Aug 2, 2019
Radford
✟9,211.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Divorced
Do not agree with that. Choosing to divorce again is a sin.
It is a breaking of a covenant. Even a covenant that is outside of God's will is still valid. Do a study on the Gibbeonites in the book of Joshua.

I agree that we make covenants out of God's will, like a believer and unbeliever being married. But what about like a homosexual couple. They made an agreement that is out of God's will, and the only way I see they can repent is to divorce. Again, I am not trying to be argumentative, just to understand :)

• Agree
Reactions: Dave L
Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you so much! I am asked by these ladies what option is not sinful, and I honestly do not know. I have been told many things in life such as: it is still a marriage even if unlawfully entered, it is nothing more than adultery, it is sin-but you are not to divorce but ask forgiveness-you will not be eligible as an elder of the church, etc.
Yeah, all of the above run in my head as possible. I'm a little bit more inclned towards it being technically wrong, and perhaps a life of living as brother and sister to avoid adultery would be best, but again, I don't know. I'll ask on the Catholic forum for their thoughts. God be with you, dear. It's good that you want to give a good answer.

Upvote 0

somuchjoy

Aug 2, 2019
Radford
✟9,211.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Divorced
Sin remains unforgiven unless repented of.
May I ask what kind of church you attend? Your statements are very similar to a dear lady I know that was part of the Reformed Protestant Church. She was a great source when you needed help with scripture :)

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
May I ask what kind of church you attend? Your statements are very similar to a dear lady I know that was part of the Reformed Protestant Church. She was a great source when you needed help with scripture :)
I like the PRC and think they are right about divorce and remarriage only I arrive at the same conclusion in a more simple way. God does not provide for divorce in the New Covenant. I do not have a home church but really like the PRC.

Upvote 0

~Zao~

Wisdom’s child
Site Supporter
Jun 27, 2007
✟100,595.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Repeating this from another thread

Freed from the Law

7 Or do you not know, brethren (for I speak to those who know the law), that the law has dominion over a man as long as he lives? 2 For the woman who has a husband is bound by the law to her husband as long as he lives. But if the husband dies, she is released from the law of her husband. 3 So then if, while her husband lives, she marries another man, she will be called an adulteress; but if her husband dies, she is free from that law, so that she is no adulteress, though she has married another man. 4 Therefore, my brethren, you also have become dead to the law through the body of Christ, that you may be married to another—to Him who was raised from the dead, that we should bear fruit to God. 5 For when we were in the flesh, the sinful passions which were aroused by the law were at work in our members to bear fruit to death. 6 But now we have been delivered from the law, having died to what we were held by, so that we should serve in the newness of the Spirit and not in the oldness of the letter.

• Winner
Reactions: Dan61861
Upvote 0

somuchjoy

Aug 2, 2019
Radford
✟9,211.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Divorced
Yeah, all of the above run in my head as possible. I'm a little bit more inclned towards it being technically wrong, and perhaps a life of living as brother and sister to avoid adultery would be best, but again, I don't know. I'll ask on the Catholic forum for their thoughts. God be with you, dear. It's good that you want to give a good answer.

Thank you! I was raised in a Church of God and Baptist (as odd as that sounds lol) And their views tend to be quite different than each other. I just want to be able to direct people in the correct way.

Upvote 0

somuchjoy

Aug 2, 2019
Radford
✟9,211.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Divorced
Repeating this from another thread

Freed from the Law

7 Or do you not know, brethren (for I speak to those who know the law), that the law has dominion over a man as long as he lives? 2 For the woman who has a husband is bound by the law to her husband as long as he lives. But if the husband dies, she is released from the law of her husband. 3 So then if, while her husband lives, she marries another man, she will be called an adulteress; but if her husband dies, she is free from that law, so that she is no adulteress, though she has married another man. 4 Therefore, my brethren, you also have become dead to the law through the body of Christ, that you may be married to another—to Him who was raised from the dead, that we should bear fruit to God. 5 For when we were in the flesh, the sinful passions which were aroused by the law were at work in our members to bear fruit to death. 6 But now we have been delivered from the law, having died to what we were held by, so that we should serve in the newness of the Spirit and not in the oldness of the letter.

I have heard 2 different takes on this, as odd as that is. One is that of course, you no longer have to follow the old law since Jesus came and died for us. I have also heard that because you are new in Christ, you will want to follow the law, and become dead to the law of sin. I sound like a dumb hillbilly (and that is prob not far off the mark lol) I would like to talk to you more, but I am unable to send you a message.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I agree that we make covenants out of God's will, like a believer and unbeliever being married. But what about like a homosexual couple. They made an agreement that is out of God's will, and the only way I see they can repent is to divorce. Again, I am not trying to be argumentative, just to understand :)
I get that. And it is a good question.
The covenant Joshua and the elders of Israel made with the city of Gibeon was in direct violation of what God told them to not do. Yes, the men of Gibeon were deceptive, but God held Israel to the covenant anyway. Even centuries later when Saul tried to oppress them, God backed them up and it took David to bring justice to the Gibeonites.

God never changes.

As to how that plays out with a gay marriage (which actually IS a covenant) is a good question. It certainly is a covenant that needs to be dismissed in a godly way. I have no idea how to do that.

Upvote 0

somuchjoy

Aug 2, 2019
Radford
✟9,211.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Divorced
I like the PRC and think they are right about divorce and remarriage only I arrive at the same conclusion in a more simple way. God does not provide for divorce in the New Covenant. I do not have a home church but really like the PRC.

I do like many of their teachings. I do not believe in predestination, but I do like their strictness in teaching the Bible. I had one of the ladies say her husband would not give her a divorce and it would be a cost that she could not at this time afford to fight (she is a stay at home mom). He has offered to separate from her until his first spouse passes (if she does first), and split the house with her and make it into 2 residences and live separately, but still have the children close to both of them. What are your thoughts on that?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I do like many of their teachings. I do not believe in predestination, but I do like their strictness in teaching the Bible. I had one of the ladies say her husband would not give her a divorce and it would be a cost that she could not at this time afford to fight (she is a stay at home mom). He has offered to separate from her until his first spouse passes (if she does first), and split the house with her and make it into 2 residences and live separately, but still have the children close to both of them. What are your thoughts on that?
I think they have lots of truth including their understanding of predestination. But I believe the church is spiritual and not institutional . So I'm more like the Baptists in that.

Upvote 0

~Zao~

Wisdom’s child
Site Supporter
Jun 27, 2007
✟100,595.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have heard 2 different takes on this, as odd as that is. One is that of course, you no longer have to follow the old law since Jesus came and died for us. I have also heard that because you are new in Christ, you will want to follow the law, and become dead to the law of sin. I sound like a dumb hillbilly (and that is prob not far off the mark lol) I would like to talk to you more, but I am unable to send you a message.
Two different ways of looking at it is legally or according to grace. Shadow or substance. Dead to sin or alive to God. You either believe you are running your life or God is. Blanket statements do apply to the former law, but in Grace personal commitment and leading are ESSENCEial.

Upvote 0

somuchjoy

Aug 2, 2019
Radford
✟9,211.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Divorced
The covenant Joshua and the elders of Israel made with the city of Gibeon was in direct violation of what God told them to not do. Yes, the men of Gibeon were deceptive, but God held Israel to the covenant anyway. Even centuries later when Saul tried to oppress them, God backed them up and it took David to bring justice to the Gibeonites.

God never changes.

As to how that plays out with a gay marriage (which actually IS a covenant) is a good question. It certainly is a covenant that needs to be dismissed in a godly way. I have no idea how to do that.

Why would another marriage that is ungodly, not have to be dismissed, like remarriage? Sorry to be so obtuse :)

Upvote 0

~Zao~

Wisdom’s child
Site Supporter
Jun 27, 2007
✟100,595.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

God never changes.

God was faithful but I don’t believe that Joshua was in acting from a place of deception.

Upvote 0

somuchjoy

Aug 2, 2019
Radford
✟9,211.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Divorced
I think they have lots of truth including their understanding of predestination. But I believe the church is spiritual and not institutional . So I'm more like the Baptists in that.

Agreed! If this is not too forward, do you believe in once saved always saved? That was also brought up in this discussion on whether or not to divorce.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
but I am unable to send you a message.
Actually you should be able to send one now.

I believe that 10 posts and 5 likes are what is needed.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Agreed! If this is not too forward, do you believe in once saved always saved? That was also brought up in this discussion on whether or not to divorce.
“No one who is born of God practices sin, because His seed abides in him; and he cannot sin, because he is born of God. By this the children of God and the children of the devil are obvious: anyone who does not practice righteousness is not of God, nor the one who does not love his brother.” 1 John 3:9–10 (NASB95)

Upvote 0

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,588.00
Faith
Christian
If they remarried in ignorance, they should remained married. No sense in divorcing twice, that doesn't fix it. I know several married couples who divorced their former spouses before they married. I would say two wrongs do not make a right.
Exactly true, each should remain in that state in which they were called.
1 Cor 7
17 But as God has distributed to each one, as the Lord has called each one, so let him walk. And so I ordain in all the churches. 18 Was anyone called while circumcised? Let him not become uncircumcised. Was anyone called while uncircumcised? Let him not be circumcised. 19 Circumcision is nothing and uncircumcision is nothing, but keeping the commandments of God is what matters. 20 Let each one remain in the same calling in which he was called. 21 Were you called while a slave? Do not be concerned about it; but if you can be made free, rather use it. 22 For he who is called in the Lord while a slave is the Lord’s freedman. Likewise he who is called while free is Christ’s slave. 23 You were bought at a price; do not become slaves of men. 24 Brethren, let each one remain with God in that state in which he was called.

• Winner
Reactions: Sam91
Upvote 0