Radford
✟9,211.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Divorced
If they remarried in ignorance, they should remained married. No sense in divorcing twice, that doesn't fix it. I know several married couples who divorced their former spouses before they married. I would say two wrongs do not make a right.

What if they remarry and know what Jesus said about this? Granted, if they are not saved, they will not care what he said.

Reactions: Dave-W
Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟122,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
What if they remarry and know what Jesus said about this? Granted, if they are not saved, they will not care what he said.

Well, that is something they will have to answer for.

Let's say they were both unsaved, and one came to the faith later on after they were married, then it would be okay to allow the unbelieving spouse to leave for any reason. "But if the unbelieving partner separates, let it be so. In such cases the brother or sister is not enslaved. God has called you to peace" (1 Cor. 7:15). The one who separated sinned, but not the believing one. They will have to answer for that, not the believing spouse.

Upvote 0

somuchjoy

Aug 2, 2019
Radford
✟9,211.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Divorced
Well, that is something they will have to answer for.

Let's say they were both unsaved, and one came to the faith later on after they were married, then it would be okay to allow the unbelieving spouse to leave for any reason. "But if the unbelieving partner separates, let it be so. In such cases the brother or sister is not enslaved. God has called you to peace" (1 Cor. 7:15). The one who separated sinned, but not the believing one. They will have to answer for that, not the believing spouse.
Does that also stand for a remarriage, or just the original marriage? Does God still see the second marriage as a marriage although unlawfully entered into? Thanks again for your responses! I do not question to argue but to understand :) Thank you for your patience!

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So, I know this is a topic that is rampant in all forums. I have a hard time with how to reply to this myself. I am divorced, and not looking to be remarried, so it has no bearings on me. BUT, I do know couples who have come to believe and trust in Jesus as their Lord and Savior, and they do not know what to do because they have been divorced and remarried before knowing or caring what Jesus said on the matter. What if the "exception clause" is for the engagement period only? I want to be careful not to be deceived or deceive others who may ask. I know all sins will be forgiven but blasphemy of the Holy Spirit. What does one do in this case for true repentance? Thanks to everyone for a response!

To clarify, I am divorced not of my doing. My husband wanted the divorce, and in America, what you want is what you will get, regardless of what the other wants.
Divorce was an Old Testament provision for the hard hearted (unbelievers). It is not an option in the New Covenant. People are as married leaving divorce court as they were when they arrived. All divorce and remarriage is adultery no matter the reason.

Upvote 0

~Zao~

Wisdom’s child
Site Supporter
Jun 27, 2007
✟100,595.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Exodus 7:3
But I will harden Pharaoh’s heart that I may multiply My signs and My wonders in the land of Egypt.

And no - he was NOT innocent.
Ex 4:21 And the Lord said to Moses, “When you go back to Egypt, see that you do before Pharaoh all the miracles which I have put in your power; but I will harden his heart, so that he will not let the people go.”​
Those were meant for signs. Flesh relied upon apart from God becomes a serpent, etc. Rebirth is the sign of remarriage.

Upvote 0

somuchjoy

Aug 2, 2019
Radford
✟9,211.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Divorced
Divorce was an Old Testament provision for the hard hearted (unbelievers). It is not an option in the New Covenant. People are as married leaving divorce court as they were when they arrived. All divorce and remarriage is adultery no matter the reason.
I agree. I wish churches still taught it was a sin. Do remarried couples have to divorce to repent? Or do they stay with their current spouse?

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I agree. I wish churches still taught it was a sin. Do remarried couples have to divorce to repent? Or do they stay with their current spouse?
People divorce for all sorts of bad reasons. Divorce for a good reason would be repentance from an adulterous marriage.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Divorce was an Old Testament provision for the hard hearted (unbelievers).
My dad was a born again pastor, but beat my mom to a pulp and abused her in many ways. He was as hard hearted as they come.

There is no verse that says all hard hearted people are unbelievers. In fact most of the hard hearts I have encountered in my 64 years are believers.

In 3 places the writer of Hebrews (writing to BELIEVERS) quoted David's 95th Psalm: "Today if you hear His voice do not harden your hearts ..."

Upvote 0

somuchjoy

Aug 2, 2019
Radford
✟9,211.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Divorced
People divorce for all sorts of bad reasons. Divorce for a good reason would be repentance from an adulterous marriage.

I hope you do not take me as argumentative, just trying to understand :) What if someone does not divorce from a remarriage? Are they in adultery as long as they are in it? I have heard some teach/preach that it is still a marriage, though unlawfully created. And to break it by divorce is still a sin-what are your thoughts?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So, I know this is a topic that is rampant in all forums. I have a hard time with how to reply to this myself. I am divorced, and not looking to be remarried, so it has no bearings on me. BUT, I do know couples who have come to believe and trust in Jesus as their Lord and Savior, and they do not know what to do because they have been divorced and remarried before knowing or caring what Jesus said on the matter. What if the "exception clause" is for the engagement period only? I want to be careful not to be deceived or deceive others who may ask. I know all sins will be forgiven but blasphemy of the Holy Spirit. What does one do in this case for true repentance? Thanks to everyone for a response!

To clarify, I am divorced not of my doing. My husband wanted the divorce, and in America, what you want is what you will get, regardless of what the other wants.
Something which helps me in any situation, no matter how strongly I might *feel* is "how do I avoid sin in this situation? How do I obey Christ?"

I'll have to ask about this. I know what I would assume to be the case, but am not sure what is ultimately right.

I am very, very sorry about your divorce, Joy. God be with you, and help you to be faithful to Him. You sound like a dear lady.

• Friendly
Reactions: somuchjoy
Upvote 0

somuchjoy

Aug 2, 2019
Radford
✟9,211.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Divorced
My dad was a born again pastor, but beat my mom to a pulp and abused her in many ways. He was as hard hearted as they come.

There is no verse that says all hard hearted people are unbelievers. In fact most of the hard hearts I have encountered in my 64 years are believers.

I have had many preachers come to our church growing up that I felt was hard hearted. They were mean in and out of the pulpit unfortunately.

• Agree
Reactions: Dave-W
Upvote 0

somuchjoy

Aug 2, 2019
Radford
✟9,211.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Divorced
Something which helps me in any situation, no matter how strongly I might *feel* is "how do I avoid sin in this situation? How do I obey Christ?"

I'll have to ask about this. I know what I would assume to be the case, but am not sure what is ultimately right.

I am very, very sorry about your divorce, Joy. God be with you, and help you to be faithful to Him. You sound like a dear lady.

Thank you so much! I am asked by these ladies what option is not sinful, and I honestly do not know. I have been told many things in life such as: it is still a marriage even if unlawfully entered, it is nothing more than adultery, it is sin-but you are not to divorce but ask forgiveness-you will not be eligible as an elder of the church, etc.

• Informative
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I hope you do not take me as argumentative, just trying to understand :) What if someone does not divorce from a remarriage? Are they in adultery as long as they are in it? I have heard some teach/preach that it is still a marriage, though unlawfully created. And to break it by divorce is still a sin-what are your thoughts?
There is no divorce recognized by God in the New Testament. So people remain married to their original spouse until death. All subsequent marriages are adultery and need to be repented of.

Upvote 0

~Zao~

Wisdom’s child
Site Supporter
Jun 27, 2007
✟100,595.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

In 3 places the writer of Hebrews (writing to BELIEVERS) quoted David's 95th Psalm: "Today if you hear His voice do not harden your hearts ..."
No kidding. SMH. Legalism abounds in His midst as much now as then. It’s still a testing of God to see how much they can get away with physically when God just wants faithfulness to Himself for people to come to Him, not place barriers to others. Faith is found only in the Word faithfulness.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

somuchjoy

Aug 2, 2019
Radford
✟9,211.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Divorced
There is no divorce recognized by God in the New Testament. So people remain married to their original spouse until death. All subsequent marriages are adultery and need to be repented of.
And repentance is divorce from the second marriage? Thank you for your responses :)

• Agree
Reactions: Dave L
Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Pharaoh was hard hearted...... That defines it.

Upvote 0

somuchjoy

Aug 2, 2019
Radford
✟9,211.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Divorced
No kidding. SMH. Legalism abounds in His midst as much now as then. It’s still a testing of God to see how much they can get away with physically when God just wants faithfulness to Himself for people to come to Him, not place barriers to others. Faith is found only in the Word faithfulness.

That too comes into this. What is legalistic in the situation? If it does not put you in an unwanted spot, and forgive me if it does, what would be your take? Again, if it puts you in a spot uncomfortably, please forgive me.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And repentance is divorce from the second marriage? Thank you for your responses :)
Do not agree with that. Choosing to divorce again is a sin.
It is a breaking of a covenant. Even a covenant that is outside of God's will is still valid. Do a study on the Gibbeonites in the book of Joshua.

Upvote 0

~Zao~

Wisdom’s child
Site Supporter
Jun 27, 2007
✟100,595.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
That too comes into this. What is legalistic in the situation? If it does not put you in an unwanted spot, and forgive me if it does, what would be your take? Again, if it puts you in a spot uncomfortably, please forgive me.
Legalism is not recognizing the union of Christ and the church. Kinda puts the lawmakers on a level ground. Ye are not God, just as neither was Moses.

Upvote 0

somuchjoy

Aug 2, 2019
Radford
✟9,211.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Divorced
What does it mean when it is said that to be an elder you must be the husband of one wife? Does that mean that you can be seen as having more than one wife, but if you do such as divorce, you cannot be elder, or that if your wife should pass, you cannot remarry?

Upvote 0