The Lord is my rock!
Feb 25, 2016
United States
✟27,741.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Unwatching thread, makes me so depressed seeing people saying divorce is ok for various reasons despite the bible saying otherwise. >.<

I agree, but I understand (not excusing) our fallen nature. It's so dang hard to NOT create a God in our own image. It's so dang hard to accept HIS definition of love, justice, fairness, and fulfillment.

It's so hard to be content in HIM alone - even though HE is so much more than we can get our pea brains around! We are tempted to cheapen His grace, seek instant gratification. Lose faith.

We just want to be happy and comfortable, and deal with the HOLINESS part later in heaven I guess. We want to be our own God, we want to be on the throne! We are control freaks.

I'm preaching to myself btw. PRAISE God, we are justified, but sanctification is a life long process..

Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟195,032.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Pretty confident God’s definition of love, Justice, fairness, and fulfillment doesn’t include trying to make it work with a guy who beats you severely.

There are more than enough passages that support her leaving and even if you believe adultery is the only reason she can leave, then she’s still in the clear as she and he have both moved on to other relationships and committed adultery against each other but, more importantly, she’s Agnositc and says she rejects the doctrine that would fault her (as would most Christians). Being Agnostic means she doesn’t have to follow the conservative interpretation of the Bible or she can choose an interpretation more in line with what most Christians believe about divorcing abusers, or disregard all of it as she’s not Christian.

Really, it would be like trying to apply what Islam says about marriage to a Christian. It doesn’t matter what Islam says because Islam is not their faith.

Upvote 0

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I think we need to keep in mind the audience that heard Jesus' words about divorce and remarriage (and keep in mind the whole context the question was asked). It wasn't a sincere question, but a trick question...meant to entrap Jesus with His own words (and these were men that were using legalism to justify their mistreatment of their wives). ISTM that trying to apply Jesus' answer to that trick question (directed towards men with callous hearts) is a misapplication in this situation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Observer

Observer
Sep 29, 2004
Australia
✟10,101.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
Unwatching thread, makes me so depressed seeing people saying divorce is ok for various reasons despite the bible saying otherwise. >.<
I don't think many Christians think divorce is fine. But at the same time, you can't stay married to someone who is abusive unless you have no respect for yourself. It puts abused women in a very difficult situation, when people believe you should not get divorced and not move on with your life.
My ex said he couldn't hate anybody more than me, that I am repulsive, called me the C word and told me to shut the F up regularly, and hit me... he said he wanted to get divorced. He had a child with somebody else, I started a new relationship. So it confuses me when people are against me getting divorce. There was no option of remaining married and he's now in another country with a baby to someone else, so even if divorce isn't "okay", what choice did I have? Do people think I should fly to his country and beg him back and he should leave his kid, even though I could never like or love him in any way? Lol I just don't get it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sdmsanjose

Jun 19, 2006
Arizona
✟23,684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My ex said he couldn't hate anybody more than me, that I am repulsive, called me the C word and told me to shut the F up regularly, and hit me... he said he wanted to get divorced. He had a child with somebody else, I started a new relationship. So it confuses me when people are against me getting divorce.

Your husband HATED, abused you emotionally and physically, and committed adultery…God hates when His daughter is abused and even Jesus stated that divorce is permitted in the case of adultery.

Observer, God is the only one you should be concerned about and not those people that are against you for divorce.

Upvote 0

Observer

Observer
Sep 29, 2004
Australia
✟10,101.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
Your husband HATED, abused you emotionally and physically, and committed adultery…God hates when His daughter is abused and even Jesus stated that divorce is permitted in the case of adultery.

Observer, God is the only one you should be concerned about and not those people that are against you for divorce.

Thank you.

I committed adultery first as he resisted divorce and I started a new relationship with a man I'd known for years. Then my ex husband met a woman and got her pregnant after that, then he signed and sent me the paper months after kid was born.

Upvote 0