Divine Sex: Liberating Sex from Religious Tradition?

xpower

Supporter
Aug 24, 2014
✟105,003.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I did not read this book just so you know.

I was surfing amazon when i came across this book. I am just surprised it exist and was made by a christian.

Here is the description from amazon

Divine Sex examines every Biblical reference to human sexual practice. By using tools of modern scholarship, evidence is produced to show that the Bible does not actually say what generations of professional religionists have told us. The Bible does not forbid all sexual activity other than monogamous heterosexual intercourse. Instead it treats us to a wide range of God-approved, and sometimes even God-supplied, sexual possibilities that the church has never told us about. In fact, the most famous erotic poem in history, is actually a book of the Bible!

God is the Architect both of human sexuality, and of sexual pleasure. The passion, pleasure and possibilities of sex are His gift to humanity. Like any proud parent, Father God is pleased and honored when His kids delight in His gift/ God made sex to be fun. He is not embarrassed nor is He angered when we enjoy it. Sex as God designed it to be is truly Divine.

From polygamy and concubinage, to prostitution, to masturbation, to oral sex, to nudity - and all else besides - this study of what the Bible actually says, and does not say, will surprise, perhaps elate, and we believe will liberate the reader from the sex-stifling effects of church dogma.

Sex without religious baggage. Sex without guilt and shame. Sex as the Creator meant it to be. Divine Sex.

Upvote 0

SinnerInTheHands

Troubled Christian
Jul 17, 2015
USA
✟10,255.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Divine Sex examines every Biblical reference to human sexual practice. By using tools of modern scholarship, evidence is produced to show that the Bible does not actually say what generations of professional religionists have told us. The Bible does not forbid all sexual activity other than monogamous heterosexual intercourse. Instead it treats us to a wide range of God-approved, and sometimes even God-supplied, sexual possibilities that the church has never told us about. In fact, the most famous erotic poem in history, is actually a book of the Bible!

Where do I begin?

1) So is every Biblical reference to human sexual practice examined? Or is modern scholarship used to show that half of these references aren't really "Biblical" [likely because they don't line up with a socially liberal worldview]?

2) If evidence has been found to disprove "professional religionists" in regards to human sexuality, then (a) why haven't I heard of this book before, and (b) why are those "professional religionists" not actively supporting or opposing the publication of this book or other evidence? If there really is sufficient "evidence," why wasn't there a huge media firestorm?

3) "The Bible does not forbid all sexual activity other than monogamous heterosexual intercourse" if you throw out all of the verses in the Bible that speak against monogamous heterosexual intercourse.

4) "A wide range of God-approved, and sometimes even God-supplied, sexual possibilities that the church has never told us about"? Count me in! Are these sexual possibilities monogamous heterosexual intercourse? If not, I'm, uh, not really interested.

5) So Song of Solomon is more erotic than the Kama Sutra? Or those dirty limericks my Uncle Jack tells me at family reunions? Wow!
God is the Architect both of human sexuality, and of sexual pleasure. The passion, pleasure and possibilities of sex are His gift to humanity. Like any proud parent, Father God is pleased and honored when His kids delight in His gift/ God made sex to be fun. He is not embarrassed nor is He angered when we enjoy it. Sex as God designed it to be is truly Divine.

This message sponsored by the Raëlian Movement.
From polygamy and concubinage, to prostitution, to masturbation, to oral sex, to nudity - and all else besides - this study of what the Bible actually says, and does not say, will surprise, perhaps elate, and we believe will liberate the reader from the sex-stifling effects of church dogma.

If I wanted all that stuff I'd just go to Nevada.
Sex without religious baggage. Sex without guilt and shame. Sex as the Creator meant it to be. Divine Sex.

Remember, Raëlism is the right way to live!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SuperCloud

Sep 8, 2014
✟3,725.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I did not read this book just so you know.

I was surfing amazon when i came across this book. I am just surprised it exist and was made by a christian.

Here is the description from amazon

There is money to be made in, "What the Church never told you." Or in revealing "secrets" in general.

Okay, so, God created sex and the various species and they weren't a product of the evolutionary biological processes?

I'm not sure what "Church" the author speaks of. But the Catholic Church views sex as a "foretaste of heaven." However, like alcohol and gambling, it recognizes its addictive nature. And the monks of the Middle Ages composed some pretty homoerotic literature. This in part due to the fact the Catholic understanding of God's relationship to humanity has always been sexual in typology. The reason God the Father is referred to as "Father," as male, while having no biological sex, is because human men (not merely women) take on the effeminate and "receptive" role in a relationship to God. What God puts in you, so to speak, is in that sense ejaculatory.

The monks of the Middle Ages were very aware of this an a number of them produced some recognizably homoerotic literature when talking about their mystical relationship to God.

But human sexuality was born not solely out of evolutionary processes but out of Intelligent Design within the Catholic frame work of understanding things. And the S&M dynamic of sexual arousal the Catholic catechism suggests, came after, was a product of the Fall from Grace due to Adam and Eve. The Original Sin humans inherit from the First Parents.

(Catholic theology and Protestant theology differ on how they view the concept of "Original Sin." For Catholicism it does not indicate humans are bad or evil, in fact humans are good because they are a part of creation, and pulled towards and prone to virtue. However, the "Original Sin" inheritance makes humans vulnerable to sin and also pulled towards and prone to sin. Whereas, with Protestants view creation as bad--unlike Catholics--and the inheritance of "Original Sin" means, from the eyes of Luther, that humans are a pile of feces and all creation necessarily bad unless reborn of Christ.)

I'm not familiar with the Orthodox view but the Orthodox are less legalistic than Catholicism.

The Orthodox accuse Catholicism--and Protestantism--of being too rational. They have a good point I believe. And reading Thomas Aquinas--while similar to Buddhist metaphysical literature--is like reading math. It is dry. And very logical. Like math.

As a biology student I right away recognized the Catholic teaching on sex and the sexual as being the closest thing out there to the science of biology. The science of biology is dry reading. Very logical. It's not emotionally charged and poetic. So, most people hate Catholic teaching on the right uses of the sexual organs, what the functional design of the sexual organs are for, rather than the Church waxing poetically on anal licking--or like the Vagina Monologous--having an erotic affair between a grown woman and young teenage girl with the older "grooming" her.

The Orthodox Church may have the more balanced view of sex per teachings. I dunno. Catholic teaching can get so legalistic as to be bizarre. But Catholic teaching is heavily geared to preventing a person from committing what it regards as "mortal sin." As only one mortal sin prior to death is said to be sufficient for eternal damnation in hell.

Upvote 0

LOVEthroughINTELLECT

The courage to be human
Jul 30, 2005
✟25,873.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
What do people think of the book "Divine Sex: Liberating Sex from Religious Tradition" by Philo Thelos(who is christian)

Liberating sex?! What about liberating people?

What I immediately think of that people need to be liberated from is this global capitalist system / neoliberalism that dominates everybody's lives. You know, that system that, among other things, encourages people to profit from sex. And it is profitable because the suppliers in the sex industry have plenty of eager and willing consumers.

It sounds like a book about liberation when there is no liberation to be done.

Or do people want to be liberated from any limitation other than age and consent--have almost complete license--and writing a book that scapegoats the Bible rationalizes such licentiousness?

Upvote 0

SuperCloud

Sep 8, 2014
✟3,725.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Has anyone in the thread read the book?

I haven't.

But if one doesn't like the consequences of sex they'll berate the Christian Church for promoting sex (in marriage).

Latex condoms were an invention of man--not God--and "happy" sex (which I've always enjoyed) called promiscuity has often led to people getting STDs.

Hey, I even got a bacterial STD while wearing a latex condom (it broke). The "secrets" the happy sex crowd won't tell you about is that latex condoms actually can and do break. Fortunately for me the disease I got was the bacterial gonorrhea and not a viral disease like herpes simplex whatever.

I took a little STD course at university just out of curiosity (and for the credits too). The course and lectures were given by a man and woman with doctoral degrees in laboratory science. Both seemed to be secular and not religious. What would surprise the happy sex crowd is that those in laboratory science employed in hospitals or the public health sector... are as a scientific profession, more conservative about sexual behavior than the general populace. One thing we were taught in lecture is that you should never tongue kiss your sexual partner after performing anal licking on them. Due to the fact the species of bacteria in one region will be foreign to the mouth and throat and can cause infection and swelling in the throat. Maybe that's one of "secrets" the happy sex crowd doesn't want you to know.

I've got no problem with people liking premarital sex or "wild" sex within their marriage. We like what we like. We may even do what we do. But man up--or woman up--and admit you sin. Own your own sins. Don't try and con me like an adult pedophile "grooming" a child, trying to convince me what's sinful is actually not but rather a good. Alright, we all ready have a moral to an old story about a snake in a garden about that. Or about Jesus being tempted in the desert with a diabolical creature quoting scripture to him. So, yeah, the devil knows and quotes scripture as good as any Protestant preacher or Catholic Bishop.

My thing is this: was Jesus having wild sex?

Hey, I don't like the rules any more than anyone else. In fact, I probably dislike the rules more than most. Why can't I have sex with a thousand women, just jump on them out the blue like male canines due to female canines? Why does it have to be a potential for a child being created from sex? Why does there have to be STDs? This last one really gets to me. I'd loooooove a disease free world.

I dunno. But there are rules to this thing we call life. And usually a lot of it seems pretty unfair.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SuperCloud

Sep 8, 2014
✟3,725.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
the Catholic Church views sex as a "foretaste of heaven."
Is that why Jerome and others said the HOLY Spirit is so appalled by marital relations that he has to leave the house when that goes on? Or that the ONLY reason God allowed married sex is to make more virgins for the church?

Upvote 0