Xpycoctomos

Aug 15, 2004
Midwest
✟13,419.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
SI: did you want one that was in both languages? hmmm... it seems this one is only in Greek. I can say that the Greek Orthodox Church in the US Parishes many times have a great Liturgy book that is in both languages, left page in Greek, right page in English. If it's really important perhaps a nearby Greek Parish would allow you to borrow one (????). Or... maybe someone has a great link to one (unless I am missing something and the website offered above IS also in English... if not, I suppose you could always throw parts of it into an online translator although taht wouldn't give you a very accurate picture of anything and would be quite time-consuming if not very frusterating).

John

Upvote 0

Servus Iesu

Jun 15, 2005
✟20,312.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Umm... I don't know Greek well enough to navigate the page. The reason I ask is because I have a chant CD of the Divine Liturgy in Greek, and I'd like to be able to follow along the Greek text when I listen to it. I can sound out and transliterate Greek, but I can't understand most of it. As for the English text, I've found it online, so it isn't too much of a problem, but if you could supply a more specific link to the Greek, that would help.

Upvote 0

Greg the byzantine

have mercy on me
Site Supporter
Jan 21, 2005
✟56,796.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0
K

KATHXOYMENOC

SI: did you want one that was in both languages? hmmm... it seems this one is only in Greek. I can say that the Greek Orthodox Church in the US Parishes many times have a great Liturgy book that is in both languages, left page in Greek, right page in English. If it's really important perhaps a nearby Greek Parish would allow you to borrow one (????). Or... maybe someone has a great link to one (unless I am missing something and the website offered above IS also in English... if not, I suppose you could always throw parts of it into an online translator although taht wouldn't give you a very accurate picture of anything and would be quite time-consuming if not very frusterating).

John

My mistake! I thought you just wanted Greek text. :blush:

Upvote 0

Servus Iesu

Jun 15, 2005
✟20,312.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Ευλογημένη η Βασιλεία του Πατρός και του Υιού και του Αγίου Πνεύματος, νυν και αεί τους αιώνας των αιώνων. Αμήν.

"Blessed is the Kingdom of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, now and forever to the ages of ages. Amen."

Right? This is the beginning of the Divine Liturgy if I remember correctly. What is the part that comes before it? Are there preparatory prayers for the Priest and Deacon?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MichaelNZ

Servus Mariae
Nov 10, 2006
Dunedin, New Zealand
Visit site
✟12,170.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Ευλογημένη η Βασιλεία του Πατρός και του Υιού και του Αγίου Πνεύματος, νυν και αεί τους αιώνας των αιώνων. Αμήν.

"Blessed is the Kingdom of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, now and forever to the ages of ages. Amen."

Right? This is the beginning of the Divine Liturgy if I remember correctly. What is the part that comes before it? Are there preparatory prayers for the Priest and Deacon?
The Deacon says "Bless, Master" before the Liturgy. In Greek it would probably be "Evlogite, Despota".

The above Greek sentence is not accented correctly. Each 'kai' should have a grave accent on the iota, the 'tou' should have a circumflex over the upsilon, and the 'twn' should have a circumflex over the omega. Apart from that, it seems pretty good (although I haven't learnt all the accent rules, since our teacher doesn't insist that we learn them).

Upvote 0

Servus Iesu

Jun 15, 2005
✟20,312.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
The Deacon says "Bless, Master" before the Liturgy. In Greek it would probably be "Evlogite, Despota".

The above Greek sentence is not accented correctly. Each 'kai' should have a grave accent on the iota, the 'tou' should have a circumflex over the upsilon, and the 'twn' should have a circumflex over the omega. Apart from that, it seems pretty good (although I haven't learnt all the accent rules, since our teacher doesn't insist that we learn them).
Maybe this Greek font does not have grave and circumflex accents.

Questions: Are 'ei' and 'u' always pronounced 'ee'? I've got to pull up that chart KATHXOUMENOC provided for me again. I'm still trying to de-Erasmusize myself.

Upvote 0

Vasileios

Eastern Orthodox Christian
Apr 15, 2006
Crete
✟15,480.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
basically that is using the modern accent, basically monosyllable words don't get accented and there is only one mark used (the oxeia). Simpler but poorer.

But what is actually wrong with that phrase is that a "και εις" is missing ;) It should be "νυν και αει και εις τους αιωνας των αιωνων. Αμην".

Which CD do you have? Is it the Angelopoulos choir by any chance? That's a great one!

Upvote 0

Greg the byzantine

have mercy on me
Site Supporter
Jan 21, 2005
✟56,796.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Maybe this Greek font does not have grave and circumflex accents.

Questions: Are 'ei' and 'u' always pronounced 'ee'? I've got to pull up that chart KATHXOUMENOC provided for me again. I'm still trying to de-Erasmusize myself.

yup

I-iota
ei- epsilon iota
h- eta
Y (u)- ypsylon
oi- omicron iota

are all pronounces 'ee'

ai= alpha iota is pronounced like the 'e' in the word "red"

eu- epsilon ypsylon pronounced 'ev' like in "ever"

au- alpha ypsilon pronounced like Av just like in the Latin "ave" (Liturgically. Classical pronunciation that they teach in some schools it would be pronounced awe)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Servus Iesu

Jun 15, 2005
✟20,312.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I-iota
ei- epsilon iota
h- eta
Y (u)- ypsylon
oi- omicron iota

are all pronounces 'ee'

So legei would be pronounced "leg-ee," and koinh is "kee-nee"

arcai is "ar-ke"?

eudaimonia is "ev-de-mon-ee-a" ?

au- alpha ypsilon pronounced like Av just like in the Latin "ave" (Liturgically. Classical pronunciation that they teach in some schools it would be pronounced awe)

Upvote 0

Servus Iesu

Jun 15, 2005
✟20,312.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
basically that is using the modern accent, basically monosyllable words don't get accented and there is only one mark used (the oxeia). Simpler but poorer.

But what is actually wrong with that phrase is that a "και εις" is missing ;) It should be "νυν και αει και εις τους αιωνας των αιωνων. Αμην".

Which CD do you have? Is it the Angelopoulos choir by any chance? That's a great one!
It is the angelopoulos cd in fact! The Greek was not my mistake, I took it off of the link I was given. I was also looking for the Lord's prayer in Greek, and I've found discrepancies between different versions online. Can someone look over this site and tell me if the Lord's prayer and Creed are correct? http://www.saintnicholas.org/prayersmenu.htm

Upvote 0

Xpycoctomos

Aug 15, 2004
Midwest
✟13,419.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
yup

I-iota
ei- epsilon iota
h- eta
Y (u)- ypsylon
oi- omicron iota

are all pronounces 'ee'

Ahhh, such a phonetically rich language! lol

Upvote 0

Servus Iesu

Jun 15, 2005
✟20,312.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Ahhh, such a phonetically rich language! lol
It seems to me that there has to be some scholarly merit to the idea that Greek vowels and dipthongs couldn't have been pronounced the same way in ancient times. Otherwise, why would the Greeks write the sound 'ee' in so many ways? They could have gotten away with about three vowels.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.