• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Teaching (no posting) Divine Healing

Discussion in 'Spirit-Filled / Charismatic' started by hislegacy, Mar 23, 2020.

1. hislegacy

hislegacy Respect to those who we lost

+10,226
    United States
    Charismatic
    Married
    US-Others
    Divine Healing has been a tenant of faith for the vast majority of Spirit Filled/Charismatic groups, as evidenced by their websites:

Assemblies of God: “Christ’s death on the cross not only provides for forgiveness of sin, but also healing for sickness. The One who gave you the gift of eternal life…is the same One who can heal your body.”

Church Foursquare: Divine Healing We believe that divine healing is the power of Christ to heal the sick in answer to the prayer of faith (James 5:14-16).

Church of God: Divine healing provided for all in the Atonement. Psalm 103:3; Isaiah 53:4, 5; Matthew 8:17; James 5:14-16; 1 Peter 2:24.

There are more, you can research.

For this study thread I will be using "Foundations of Pentecostal Theology", Duffield/N.M. Van Cleave Along with several other lesser works. I'll refer each and will limit quotes per our copy write rules.

So, let's get ready. I would encourage you to have your Bible at the ready.

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. hislegacy

+10,226
    United States
    Charismatic
    Married
    US-Others
    Taking some time in prayer as to how to present this in the best fashion. Let's start with the will of God in the matter. A thought is that if something is in God's will, that settles it - it will happen. Let's look at an instance in Scripture where the will of God was to heal, Jesus was present and yet the people who God was wanting to heal did not get healed. I will be using NKJV for reference

Luke 5:17 17 Now it happened on a certain day, as He was teaching, that there were Pharisees and teachers of the law sitting by, who had come out of every town of Galilee, Judea, and Jerusalem. And the power of the Lord was present to heal them.
    The reader will note that the Scripture is addressing a specific group of people - Pharisees and teachers of the law. They had come to this place specifically to hear Jesus. It cannot be stated plainer that "the power of the Lord was present to heal them" - Here we have the Will of God in demonstration, wanting them healed. The Power to Heal was there. The Healer, (Jesus) was there.

Yet, only one person (who was NOT a Pharisee nor Teacher of the Law), got healed.

3. hislegacy

+10,226
    United States
    Charismatic
    Married
    US-Others
    Let's look also at Mark's Gospel Chapter 6:1 - Highlighted by myself

Then He went out from there and came to His own country, and His disciples followed Him. 2 And when the Sabbath had come, He began to teach in the synagogue. And many hearing Him were astonished, saying, “Where did this Man get these things? And what wisdom is this which is given to Him, that such mighty works are performed by His hands!

The reader will note that Jesus is in the synagogue teaching and very obviously according to God's will He is doing mighty works. But something was about to change:

3 Is this not the carpenter, the Son of Mary, and brother of James, Joses, Judas, and Simon? And are not His sisters here with us?” So they were offended at Him.

4 But Jesus said to them, “A prophet is not without honor except in his own country, among his own relatives, and in his own house.” 5 Now He could do no mighty work there, except that He laid His hands on a few sick people and healed them. 6 And He marveled because of their unbelief. Then He went about the villages in a circuit, teaching.
    Please note - it doesn't say Jesus would not do a mighty work - Scripture tells us that Jesus COULD not do mighty work. God's will was for more than just a few sick folk, but their unbelief stopped it.

Youngs literal translation put's it this way

Vs 5 and he was not able there any mighty work to do
    Jesus' ability to do the mighty works (will of God) was stopped.

4. hislegacy

+10,226
    United States
    Charismatic
    Married
    US-Others
    The connection between healing and forgiveness:
    Let's go Back to Luke begin again in chapter 5:7 Here they are, Jesus, the disciples, pharisees and teachers of the Law. And the power of the Lord was present to heal them - then a man was let down through the roof.

20 When He saw their faith, He said to him, “Man, your sins are forgiven you.”
    We will note that the man came for healing. What did Jesus say? 'your sins are forgiven. Here is why in the next verse:

21 And the scribes and the Pharisees began to reason, saying, “Who is this who speaks blasphemies? Who can forgive sins but God alone?”​

They thought they caught Jesus in blasphemy.

22 But when Jesus perceived their thoughts, He answered and said to them, “Why are you reasoning in your hearts? 23 Which is easier, to say, ‘Your sins are forgiven you,’ or to say, ‘Rise up and walk’?
    Jesus is addressing their thoughts, and then says this:

24 But that you may know that the Son of Man has power on earth to forgive sins”—He said to the man who was paralyzed, I say to you, arise, take up your bed, and go to your house.”​

Notice: The proof Jesus offered to the Pharisees and Teachers of the Law the He had the power to forgive sins was healing the man. Jesus' own words and actions make the connection between forgiveness of sins and physical healing.​

5. hislegacy

+10,226
    United States
    Charismatic
    Married
    US-Others
    Staying along the line of connecting the healing of the body with forgiveness, let's look at some Old Testament verses:

Psalm 103: Bless the Lord, O my soul;
    And all that is within me, bless His holy name!
    2 Bless the Lord, O my soul,
    And forget not all His benefits:
    3 Who forgives all your iniquities,
    Who heals all your diseases,
    4 Who redeems your life from destruction,
    Who crowns you with lovingkindness and tender mercies,
    Here we see the Psalmist speaking of the benefits of God, which include forgiving all your iniquities and healing all your diseases.

6. hislegacy

+10,226
    United States
    Charismatic
    Married
    US-Others
    Matt 8:2 When He had come down from the mountain, great multitudes followed Him. And behold, a leper came and “Lord, if You are willing, You can make me clean.”3 Then Jesus put out His hand and touched him, saying, “I am willing; be cleansed.” Immediately his leprosy was cleansed.
    This is the one and only place where God's will regarding physical healing is mentioned in the New Testament. Jesus plainly makes His answer.

I am willing.​

7. hislegacy

+10,226
    United States
    Charismatic
    Married
    US-Others
    Editorial note: This isn't part of the lesson, but an observation regarding the lesson.

There are many people with the same question as the leper. They know God is ABLE to heal them, the question is - is God willing to heal them.

I find it interesting that in Jesus' dealing with the sick and lame, every person who asked, received. There is not one instance of someone coming the Christ asking for healing and being told no, or wait, or it is was not the Will of God. Not one.

8. hislegacy

+10,226
    United States
    Charismatic
    Married
    US-Others
    The connection between the Crucifixion and Physical Healing:

Isa 53 is a prophetic chapter describing who the Messiah (Jesus) would be. It goes into great detail of His life, appearance, and His death.

Isa 53:4 Surely he has borne our griefs
    And carried our sorrows;
    Yet we esteemed Him stricken,
    Smitten by God, and afflicted.
    5 But He was wounded for our transgressions,
    He was bruised for our iniquities;
    The chastisement for our peace was upon Him,
    And by His stripes we are healed.
    This is a direct reference to the scourging taken by Christ before His Crucifixion.

This is born out and confirmed in Matthews Gospel the 8th chapter.

16 When evening had come, they brought to Him many who were demon-possessed. And He cast out the spirits with a word, and healed all who were sick, 17 that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by Isaiah the prophet, saying:

“He Himself took our infirmities
    And bore our sicknesses.”
    This is the main scriptures that almost every major Charismatic/Pentecostal denomination has based their doctrinal stance on. It is also another connection between the forgiveness of sins and the healing of the body.

9. hislegacy

+10,226
    United States
    Charismatic
    Married
    US-Others
    Personal notation: For what follows (please forgive my tardiness), I would like to caution the reader that I am doing my best to not put in personal observation and would ask that we judge scripture by scripture and not personal experience.

Example: Mark 16:17 17 And these signs will follow those who believe: In My name they will cast out demons; they will speak with new tongues; they will take up serpents; and if they drink anything deadly, it will by no means hurt them; they will lay hands on the sick, and they will recover.”​

Those are the Word of Jesus, they are true and right. Just because someone doesn't speak in tongues, doesn't make His words not true. The truth of Scripture is not based on the effectiveness an individual or group has experienced.

10. hislegacy

+10,226
    United States
    Charismatic
    Married
    US-Others
    The Doctrine of Divine Healing:

There are ten major points in the Doctrine of Healing.

1. Sickness and death has come upon the human family because of sin.

a. Romans 5:12 Therefore, just as through one man sin entered the world, and death through sin, and thus death spread to all men, because all sinned

2. Sickness is a curse permitted by God to fall upon man because of his sin and disobedience.

a. Ex 15:26; and said, “If you diligently heed the voice of the Lord your God and do what is right in His sight, give ear to His commandments and keep all His statutes, I will put none of the diseases on you which I have brought on the Egyptians. For I am the Lord who heals you.”

b. Duet 28:15-68 – read

3. The devil is the author of disease and death – God is the Author and Giver of life and health, and Jesus came to destroy the works of the devil.

a. Acts 10:38;

b. Luke 13:11-17;

c. Heb 2:14,15;

d. 1 John 3:8

4. Christ was made a curse for us, in order that we would be free from the curse of sin.

a. Gal 3:10-14

5. In the Atonement, full provision is made for our physical healing as well as our deliverance from the guilt, penalty and power of sin

a. Isa 53:4,5;

b. Matt 8:17; 1

c. Peter 2:24

6. The benefits of His Atonement

a. (Psalm 103:1-3),

b. can only be appropriated by faith

c. Mark 10:51;

d. Matt 9:29

7. Divine Healing is part and parcel of the Gospel –

a. Luke 4:18,19;

b. Matt 10:7;

c. Mark 16:15-20

8. It is God’s will to heal all the sick for Jesus and the Apostles healed all that came to them for healing.

a. Matt 8:16;

b. Acts 5:12-19

9. Our Lord committed this healing ministry first to the twelve, then to the 70 others; then to the whole church and finally to every believer.

a. Luke 9;

b. Luke 10,

10. The last words of Jesus before He ascended are a perpetual promise of His healing power

a. Mark 16:18

b. James 5