Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Earlier this week Corey Booker was lamenting Kamala Harris dropping out. He said since she’s gone the Democrats have no diversity left in presidential candidates.
You got a gay guy, a Jewish guy and a woman. And Booker is still in. So um, what?

• Agree
Reactions: Chrystal-J

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Earlier this week Corey Booker was lamenting Kamala Harris dropping out. He said since she’s gone the Democrats have no diversity left in presidential candidates.
You got a gay guy, a Jewish guy and a woman. And Booker is still in. So um, what?
The problem is that they are all Democrats. :)

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟335,132.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
If you're talking about the MSNBC interview here:
, it sounds like he's talking about the ethnic diversity in an upcoming debate, that the debate he's thinking of may have an all-white set of candidates, even though the original set of candidates was a better reflection of the nation's ethnic diversity.

For the Democratic Party, where we try to value ethnic diversity, it's an uncomfortable outcome. Still, we haven't had any actual primaries yet; the shape of the race may change once voting starts.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
If you're talking about the MSNBC interview here:
, it sounds like he's talking about the ethnic diversity in an upcoming debate, that the debate he's thinking of may have an all-white set of candidates, even though the original set of candidates was a better reflection of the nation's ethnic diversity.

For the Democratic Party, where we try to value ethnic diversity, it's an uncomfortable outcome. Still, we haven't had any actual primaries yet; the shape of the race may change once voting starts.
I don't think that there's any doubt at all that the shape of the race will change once voting starts. The real question is what will emerge from the Democratic Party.

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟335,132.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I don't think that there's any doubt at all that the shape of the race will change once voting starts. The real question is what will emerge from the Democratic Party.
Do you mean how far left ideologically the party will end up being, or whether we'll be a party of all white people despite our nice-sounding words to the contrary, or something else?

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟275,937.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am soooooo tired of identity politics. White. Black. Hispanic. Muslim. Jewish. Atheist. Male. Female. Other.

Why can't we just ditch all of that balderdash when it comes to politics, and just focus on the fact that we're all Americans? Have we really drifted so far apart that we have to live like warring tribes in 7th-century Arabia?

I don't know. Maybe it's just human nature. I had a friend who told me once that even if every baby born in the future was genetically-engineered to carry an equal number of genes from virtually every race and ethnic group on the planet, the only thing that would happen is that all the people born on Tuesdays would hate all the people born on Thursdays.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Do you mean how far left ideologically the party will end up being, or whether we'll be a party of all white people despite our nice-sounding words to the contrary, or something else?
A combination of all the above, I think. Far Left, White, international connections, Big pockets, good political connections. Did someone say Hillary was running?

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟335,132.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Diversity is wrong.
Do you mean that it's wrong for the United States to be made up of people from a variety of ethnic groups, or that it's wrong for our political leadership to be as ethnically diverse as our population?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
✟275,937.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's wrong for diversity to be the thing that tears us apart. Diversity, whatever it's merits or lack thereof, must be secondary to unity; otherwise, you don't have a united country or national identity. You have, as I mentioned before, a collection of squabbling tribes, all battling with each other.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
And a couple of billionaires!

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟425,827.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

It's a dog whistle. People like Booker (and really just about everyone in the Democratic field) imagine a world without straight white people, specifically straight white men, when they talk about "diversity". They want to ethnically cleanse the United States.

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
✟275,937.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have, very belatedly, realized that this is the Catholic politics forum. I apologize for having intruded, and I will now tiptoe quietly out the back door. :oops:

You don't have to do that....you are welcome here, as long as you know that whatever you post cannot contradict or disparage Catholic doctrine. :)
We all have differing political views, and as long as we can express them without rancor or personal attacks, it's all good. I have my own views on politics, but I try not to let them lead me into generalized negative classifications of people simply because they disagree with me.

Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

KarateCowboy

Classical liberal
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2004
✟140,932.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
It's a dog whistle. People like Booker (and really just about everyone in the Democratic field) imagine a world without straight white people, specifically straight white men, when they talk about "diversity". They want to ethnically cleanse the United States.
"White inferiorists" and "white inferiority". The name of the players and the game

Upvote 0