Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟797,617.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
This forum is only for posters who believe in the manifestation of the spiritual gifts and they’re for today – per forum rules.

Of course, we desire the Lord foremost.

Follow after charity, and desire spiritual gifts,…” (I Cor 14:1) and
“Now concerning spiritual gifts, … I would not have you ignorant.” (I Cor 12:1).

Thanks to Saint Steven
for this list and it’s with his ok that it’s being used. Now to support with Scripture.

Seven Different Kinds of Tongues:
Scripture says divers kinds of tongues:
_“
To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:” I Cor 12:10

_“And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues. I Cor 12:28

1) Personal prayer language - Speaking to/with God

A-“But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost,” Jude 1:20;
B – “ For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.” I Cor 14;2
C- “If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret. 28 But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God.” (I Cor 14:27-28)
D – ““He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church.” I Cor 14:4

2) Intercessory prayer language - Praying for others in the Spirit
“Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God.” Rom 8:26-27

Last edited:

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟797,617.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
3) Warfare language - Tongues directly aimed at demonic strongholds

“Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints; 19 And for me, that utterance may be given unto me, that I may open my mouth boldly, to make known the mystery of the gospel,” Eph 6:18-19 The spiritual armor

4) Prophetic language - Addressing the whole church/preferably with interpretation

A – “What then, brethren, is [the right course]? When you meet together, each one has a hymn, a teaching, a disclosure of special knowledge or information, an utterance in a [strange] tongue, or an interpretation of it. [But] let everything be constructive and edifying and for the good of all.” I Cor 14:26
B – “To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:” (I Cor 12:;10)
C – I would that ye all spake with tongues but rather that ye prophesied: for greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying. (I Cor 14:5)

5) Praise language - Magnifying the Lord in worship tongues
“…Cornelius waited for them, and he had called together his kinsmen and near friends.” “While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word.” “…that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost.” “For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. ...,” Acts 10:24, 45-6

6) Singing in the Spirit - Singing in tongues/worship activity
“For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful. 15 What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.” I Cor 14:14-15

7) Evangelistic language - Speaking the message of God to a people in their own language (not yours)

“And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance. 6 Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language.” “And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?” Acts 2: 4, 6. 8

All tongues can be interpreted "Wherefore let him that speaketh in an unknown tongue pray that he may interpret.” (I Cor 14:13)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟797,617.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What’s the best category for the following Scriptures or should that Scriptural reference be in each category or not included in this list?

1- “And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;” Mark 16;17

2- “And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied.” Acts 19:6

3 - "And when they had prayed, the place was shaken where they were assembled together; and they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and they spake the word of God with boldness." Acts 4:31

Know we’re not all going to agree on each entry. But open to your comments, suggestions.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Arc F1

Let the righteous man arise from slumber
Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2020
Kentucky
✟146,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This forum is only for posters who believe in the manifestation of the spiritual gifts and they’re for today – per forum rules.

Of course, we desire the Lord foremost.

Follow after charity, and desire spiritual gifts,…” (I Cor 14:1) and
“Now concerning spiritual gifts, … I would not have you ignorant.” (I Cor 12:1).

Thanks to Saint Steven
for this list and it’s with his ok that it’s being used. Now to support with Scripture.

_“
To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:” I Cor 12:10

_“And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues. I Cor 12:28

1) Personal prayer language - Speaking to/with God

A-“But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost,” Jude 1:20;
B – “ For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.” I Cor 14;2
C- “If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret. 28 But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God.” (I Cor 14:27-28)
D – ““He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church.” I Cor 14:4

2) Intercessory prayer language - Praying for others in the Spirit
“Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God.” Rom 8:26-27

I don't fully understand what is meant by tongues. As I see it it's an understandable language. I have a family member that goes to a church that has the congregation just speaking gibberish that nobody can understand. He can't explain their beliefs just that the priest says it's what they should do. If you don't mind what is your explanation?

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks to Saint Steven for this list and it’s with his ok that it’s being used. Now to support with Scripture.

_“

Here's a funny thing.
I was reading your translation of I Cor 12:10, with the term "divers" in it, and re-translating it in my mind to say "different" (kinds of tongues), when something occurred to me. (the funny part) I had always viewed this as only ONE of the KINDS of tongues being the spiritual gift of tongues. That is, the one that needs interpretation. (for the benefit of the congregation) Which would be #4 in my list.
4) Prophetic language - Addressing the whole church/preferably with interpretation

But this is saying that ALL the different (divers) kinds of tongues are the gift. Silly me.

Although. maybe that's not what this means by "different kinds of tongues".

I guess my definition of the gift being #4 in my list works better with not everyone having the gift of tongues. I speak in tongues, but have never felt led to address the congregation.

1 Corinthians 12:10
to another miraculous powers, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to another speaking in different kinds of tongues, and to still another the interpretation of tongues.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't fully understand what is meant by tongues. As I see it it's an understandable language. I have a family member that goes to a church that has the congregation just speaking gibberish that nobody can understand. He can't explain their beliefs just that the priest says it's what they should do. If you don't mind what is your explanation?
The first step is to understand what the Bible says about it. Have you done your homework?

However, this is not a place to debate about it. And describing tongues as gibberish is an insult. Feel free to PM me with genuine questions. Thanks.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟797,617.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Thanks --- I've had that happen before - several times..

Tongues/spirit languages are available to every believer because tongues are a sign - To unbelievers By believers "Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not:" "And these signs shall follow them that believe; ...they shall speak with new tongues; (I Cor 14:22 and Mark 16:17) So that means any believer can speak in tongues which is given to them by the Holy Spirit.

Now "...do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?" Take out the question mark This Scripture is referring to the gift of tongues with interpretation. Of course, God can do whatever He wants. But usually not every believer is used with this gift at the same time and in the same location with the same message.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks --- I've had that happen before - several times..

Tongues/spirit languages are available to every believer because tongues are a sign - To unbelievers By believers "Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not:" "And these signs shall follow them that believe; ...they shall speak with new tongues; (I Cor 14:22 and Mark 16:17) So that means any believer can speak in tongues which is given to them by the Holy Spirit.

Now "...do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?" Take out the question mark This Scripture is referring to the gift of tongues with interpretation. Of course, God can do whatever He wants. But usually not every believer is used with this gift at the same time and in the same location with the same message.
Thanks.
So, do we agree that the gift of tongues is #4 in my list?

Or, to ask in a more specific way, the tongues listed as a spiritual gift in 1 Cor12 is #4 on my list? And the interpretation of those tongues is also a spiritual gift?

Note: Interpretation doesn't necessarily mean exact translation. It can mean an expansion or continuation of the thought related in tongues.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Arc F1

Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2020
Kentucky
✟146,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The first step is to understand what the Bible says about it. Have you done your homework?

However, this is not a place to debate about it. And describing tongues as gibberish is an insult. Feel free to PM me with genuine questions. Thanks.

I am always learning. If I am not to be honest then there's no point in having a conversation. It was a genuine question and I was seeking to understand.

Reactions: Saint Steven
Upvote 0

Pioneer3mm

Site Supporter
Aug 12, 2018
North America
✟550,439.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks.
So, do we agree that the gift of tongues is #4 in my list?

Or, to ask in a more specific way, the tongues listed as a spiritual gift in 1 Cor12 is #4 on my list? And the interpretation of those tongues is also a spiritual gift?

Note: Interpretation doesn't necessarily mean exact translation. It can mean an expansion or continuation of the thought related in tongues.
You wrote,
"Interpretation doesn't necessarily mean exact translation.."
- Good point.. I agree.
- From my experience.. 'the interpretation of of tongues.'

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am always learning. If I am not to be honest then there's no point in having a conversation. It was a genuine question and I was seeking to understand.
Fair enough.
I'm happy to help, but...
1) Your question was off-topic.
2) Your post included a reference to tongues as "gibberish". Therefore a caution was in order.
3) I offered to deal with your questions off this topic via PM.
4) Alternatively, you could start a topic in the Controversial Doctrine area and hear from both sides. If you are anti-tongues that would help to buttress your position.

Saint Steven said:

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You wrote,
"Interpretation doesn't necessarily mean exact translation.."
- Good point.. I agree.
- From my experience.. 'the interpretation of of tongues.'
It looks like the end of your post is missing. Did you have more to say? (I hope so)

Upvote 0

Pioneer3mm

Site Supporter
Aug 12, 2018
North America
✟550,439.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It looks like the end of your post is missing. Did you have more to say? (I hope so)

I wanted to share a bit.. about my experience.
- Maybe later...do not have time now..

Blessings,

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Arc F1

Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2020
Kentucky
✟146,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Fair enough.
I'm happy to help, but...
1) Your question was off-topic.
2) Your post included a reference to tongues as "gibberish". Therefore a caution was in order.
3) I offered to deal with your questions off this topic via PM.
4) Alternatively, you could start a topic in the Controversial Doctrine area and hear from both sides. If you are anti-tongues that would help to buttress your position.

Saint Steven said:

My reference to gibberish was only to imply something that wasn't understood by anyone. I'm not anti tongues I was just curious. I don't know enough about what you are doing to be pro or con. I will save my questions for a more appropriate on topic discussion when it pops up. Thank you.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My reference to gibberish was only to imply something that wasn't understood by anyone. I'm not anti tongues I was just curious. I don't know enough about what you are doing to be pro or con. I will save my questions for a more appropriate on topic discussion when it pops up. Thank you.
Here you go.
What do you think about speaking in tongues?

Reactions: Arc F1
Upvote 0

Pioneer3mm

Site Supporter
Aug 12, 2018
North America
✟550,439.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I learned that 'the interpretation of tongues' was not exact
translation...'word by word.'
- When I gave the interpretation.. the first time.
----
I went to the meeting/service...sometime ago.
- During the road trip.
Someone 'spoke in tongues' during the meeting.
- 'Interpretation' came to me.. but I hesitated.
My excuse?
- I was just passing through..
---
I learned from that mistake.
- I do not hesitate to give the interpretation at meetings!

• Informative
Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟797,617.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
yes Understand completely. You're in Scripture Me, too and many others If not about this, something else.

"If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret. 28 But if there be no interpreter,, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God." I Cor 14:27-28

Reactions: Pioneer3mm
Upvote 0