South Carolina
✟94,571.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Can distractions be a way to keep a Christian from reading a Bible or pray? In short, do distractions come from the enemy? I have been distracted lately and I wonder if I am under spiritual attack. How would I know if this may be a spiritual attack?

Reactions: SilvaMay

yuppers

Mar 25, 2014
Alberta
✟41,114.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It can come from the devil, it can also be our own poor choice. If you decide to watch an extra hour of tv and go right to bed instead of choosing to read your bible, it's your choice. Reading your bible isn't always the most easy choice. There's plenty of more fun things you can do. It can be a discipline to read the bible.

A quick fix to your problem is log off Christian forums, open your bible, and read it. :)

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Can distractions be a way to keep a Christian from reading a Bible or pray? In short, do distractions come from the enemy? I have been distracted lately and I wonder if I am under spiritual attack. How would I know if this may be a spiritual attack?
Daily prayer and the Scriptures are so important in the believer's life.

I would look at the matter positively, rather than being introspective about the possibiy of the opposite.

• Agree
Reactions: Winken
Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Matthew 22King James Version (KJV)
22 And Jesus answered and spake unto them again by parables, and said,

2 The kingdom of heaven is like unto a certain king, which made a marriage for his son,

3 And sent forth his servants to call them that were bidden to the wedding: and they would not come.

4 Again, he sent forth other servants, saying, Tell them which are bidden, Behold, I have prepared my dinner: my oxen and my fatlings are killed, and all things are ready: come unto the marriage.

5 But they made light of it, and went their ways, one to his farm, another to his merchandise:

6 And the remnant took his servants, and entreated them spitefully, and slew them.

7 But when the king heard thereof, he was wroth: and he sent forth his armies, and destroyed those murderers, and burned up their city.

8 Then saith he to his servants, The wedding is ready, but they which were bidden were not worthy.

Explanation
: In this parable wee see that sometimes distractions simply come from our flesh. There are 3 things we gotta look out for our flesh, devil, world and sometimes it's a combination of all 3 that distract you or sometimes 1 or 2. Distractions can not only keep someone from praying or seeking God but also from ultimately seeking salvation or even going to church.

But anyway in regards to prayer yeah the devil always tries to distract when he or the spirits he has there feel you shaking things up, a common way we see this is with the casting of demons or exorcisms. So yeah when you start praying your flesh could be tired (which is a distraction) and saying go to bed, or satan could try to stop some way, or you yourself can simply choose to look at the clock and yeah decide to stop.

Now if you went more into details about your distractions this could help more and allow people to give advice or propose what is really attacking you if you don't mind. There is a big difference between a distraction such as wanting to go to sleep vs. not feeling God in prayer for example.

If it's simply distractions like the clock, or sleepiness, or stuff like that then you just simply gotta push really and maybe fast some and get stronger with God to resist. Trust me those things like sleepiness or such (besides maybe the clock) will always be there no matter how far in your walk you get. I have been called as a preacher and the sleepiness or heavy feeling sometimes hasn't changed. However, what has changed is my ability to resist and seek God. It's not the same as if someone feels like looking at certain images at night or just has nightmares every night or something is what i'm saying, sometimes it's just a natural thing the flesh does.

It could just be like the parable, mainly laziness or slackness in walk recently rather then a straight up demonic attack.

Upvote 0

Jim Langston

Non denominational fundamentalist
Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2005
Bellingham, WA
✟79,514.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

I believe Romans 7 speaks on this, our spirit warring with our flesh.

21 I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me. 22 For I delight in the law of God after the inward man: 23 But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members. 24 O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death? 25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
We're all always under spiritual attack/oppression. A Christian on cruise control is sliding backward. We have to fight to keep going forward (fight, as in, take actions like Jesus said we need to; among them: prayer, Bible study, be prayed for, be obedient, fast, do good, etc.).

Upvote 0

dhh712

Mrs. Calvinist Dark Lord
Jul 16, 2013
Gettysburg
✟34,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married

Definitely!!! It's why those who live easy, comfortable lives often don't have a spiritual life. Distractions can be good ones and bad ones. It's really so important when you're distracted by God's temporal blessings he's given to you, to pray to him to keep you focused in his word, grounded in Jesus. It seems to me from experience that prayers are even more important in these times than in the times when we are afflicted since we as Christians naturally--or at least we should--turn to Christ in affliction. It's my understanding also that God uses afflictions in our lives to turn us to him, to draw us from the world.

Upvote 0