• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Distinguishing your spiritual feelings from reality

speciala

Dec 22, 2020
St. John
✟11,345.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello,
Wondering those that struggle with mental health, how do you know if what you are feeling is true? Say, if you feel you are under spiritual attack or if you feel the Lord is wanting you to do something, how do you know if it is a spiritual reality or part of dysfunctional mental health?

Reactions: Unqualified

Unqualified

243 God loves me
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2020
West of Mississippi
✟415,674.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I’d say for the most part we struggle with our minds. It might seem spiritual and sometimes is. Our minds are mostly undisciplined, doing whatever they want. We need structure and to control it. It takes time. Use some of the principles in the Bible. Love your neighbor. Take thoughts captive as in 2cor10:3-5. Be strong try for joy in your salvation and in your all powerful creator. Don’t get mad at Him, pray to instead when you are freaking out or every time you need him. Pray for what’s necessary for survival and for help with what you need in being saved.
You can take risks once in a while if you think the lord is telling you to do something. Check out your feelings with someone you can talk to. We tend to over-spiritualize things. Talk about it be in a group, form a support group of various person here and there to get some good information that helps.

Reactions: speciala
Upvote 0

jisaiah6113

Oct 17, 2018
Arlington
✟16,443.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I have struggled with this, mostly unsuccessfully, for over 10 years. I would say that the scriptures should be the standard of your thinking, not your own conjectures. Too often, I have based my reality on my own thoughts or observations. Turning my orientation of reality onto the Word of God has always helped bring me to health. This is not only because God's word is the only standard of reality, but because the things written there are so positive. The Psalms in particular have been very therapeutic to me throughout my lifetime.

Upvote 0

Unqualified

243 God loves me
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2020
West of Mississippi
✟415,674.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God promises things no one else can. Your thoughts and observations are important. God wants to know all of you.

Yes I never did so well as when I decided to be it Gods way. Obey Him and turn to Him for everything. I’m not perfect so I believe in repentance.

Reactions: speciala
Upvote 0