Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
In what ways would you say you're outwardly distinguished from the secular world around us? I was thinking about this a lot over the weekend after I went to confession and how I feel like you wouldn't know I'm Catholic unless you asked me. I've always been that way about faith. My rationale is I don't want to force my faith down people's throats, and I don't, but I feel like I've used that as a shield to hide behind. An excuse to not make more outward expressions of my faith. I'm also a massive introvert so that doesn't help either.

But I thought about my how some of my habits have actually gotten worse since becoming Catholic, particularly foul language. But also I've completely stopped reading the bible, I've gotten more permissive in my standards for music and entertainment... Subconsciously I think I always had this warped idea that because Catholics are so well-developed theologically and we have the fullness of the faith held in the Church then we automatically have good boundaries and are safe from the dangers of secularism because we recognize the boundaries (i.e. "this music from Marilyn Manson is entertaining and I'm ok to listen to it because I know the truth about what he's singing about and I'm on the right side of things").

But I digress.

It got me wondering more about how often we all make excuses to hide our faith and try to disguise it behind virtue and politeness like we don't want to bother people or look sanctimonious. I mean, I don't know but I think it's possible both of these propositions to be true: A) It would be good if people could tell I was Catholic just walking down the street, and B) I don't have to be a jerk about it.

Anybody else wrestle with this tension? Any advice?

Michie

Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,585,548.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I just live my life. I may stop at Church when I’m out running errands. We pray before we eat. I try not to slip up too much. I speak about going to Church when it’s time to go. Read Christian material....I was volunteering a lot but things changed family wise that takes a lot of my time. I don’t know. I don’t think we should pressure people but be prepared to answer any questions or direct them to those that do. As far as Marilyn Mason and all that, not my thing. But I believe we can enjoy secular entertainment as long as it’s not glorifying the darkness. I know that’s not much help but that’s what I do. The fact I am Catholic Christian is not secret. (It helps you to watch your witness if you are open with being a practitioner of the faith). I mean, it’s pretty obvious and I do not try to hide it but I don’t try to put a notch in my conversion belt with everyone I meet either. I think if people observe enough they eventually ask what they want to ask.

Reactions: SashaMaria
Upvote 0

ReesePiece23

The Peanut Buttery Member.
Sep 17, 2013
✟286,318.00
Faith
Christian
You're a Catholic just as much as you are an individual.

As soon as the feelings of deprivation or isolation kick in, rest assured, that you're either:

- In a cult
- Consumed by formulaic thoughts drilled into you by someone who's never met you (like someone at a sermon yelling from their ivory tower)
- Attempting to disingenuously impress someone to fit into a cliche
- Lost and looking for a purpose
- Insecure about your own faith
- Have standards higher than your ability to accommodate
- Maybe not as advanced in your journey as you thought you were
- None of the above, you're just overly pedantic

(All of the above are general, applicable to any and all and no one in particular)

To cut a long story short, I actually don't trust much of what other humans say about the God *I* know and trust (and I will NOT be shoehorned into dropping my favourite bands or giving up certain aspects of my British culture - because I am a bit rough around the edges and slightly common.) . I just think it makes sense to be 100% authentic (flaws and all) to better connect to the human race around you. After all, THEY are actually what matter.

Doris *inside* the church may think you're an amazing man, but what use is it if you're not able to reach the lads down at the pub, the everyday tradesman, the construction workers, or the man who changed your tyres? Because those people on the *outside* are the people who will never EVER understand life inside the church. They need action, honest communication, and Christ-like generosity to catch a glimpse of what you stand for, and that DOES mean by being relatable to them all the way.

Faith is ultimately superficial if it isn't benefiting the world around you. By sweating the small stuff, you're actually harming the cause.

Upvote 0