The Pacific Northwest
✟73,203.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I wonder what causes some to age so much faster than others?

My 30 year high-school reunion is this July and I've been catching up with some of my classmates on Facebook. Most of us look pretty close in age while some look much younger and others much, much older.

One of my classmates works for the same company I do, but was a grade ahead of me. He looks at least 15yrs older than me and walks like a 70yr old. I chat with him every now and then and he's not a smoker, not a drug user (our company has random drug tests), so I'm not sure why he looks to be in his 60's rather than late 40's.

Humble me Lord

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2017
The far north icebox
✟190,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'm 48, hadn't seen one of my HS good friends in 20 years. When I reconnected with him on Facebook, I almost fell out of my chair when I saw his picture, his hair and mustache were white and he looked 60. He was always the nervous type and would even move his leg/pop his knuckles or some repetitive motion. Always worried about tomorrow. I am convinced this worry aged him like nobody business.

Upvote 0

Victory-N-Christ

God:Mighty -N-Power!!
Feb 25, 2017
Ga
✟39,955.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Sometimes a hard life,drug use,alcoholism,keeping late hours,stress,overwork can cause a person to look older than their age.Sickness,depression...and things like that can too.

Upvote 0

*LILAC

Site Supporter
Jan 22, 2005
✟456,687.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Genetics can also play a part in the aging process. My husband's younger brother looks years older than my husband and there's only a 5 year span between them. Hubby's a laid back kinda guy while his brother constantly stresses and worries over the tiniest things, probably causing his aging and other health issues.

Upvote 0

WannaWitness

Shining God's Light for a Lost World.
Aug 31, 2004
✟149,993.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
I'd like to think I don't look the age I am, even though I don't seem to hear that very much these days. What's funny is how when I was 18 or 19 some people told me I looked 12 or 13, and I absolutely hated it! Even when I was in my late 20s and early 30s, a few people here and there assumed I was a schoolkid (strangers asking me what grade I was in/what school I went to), and it really bugged me, knowing I was well into adulthood but didn't look like one. Then I was told I would appreciate being told I look young, and the rare occasions I do hear that from people, I consider it a huge compliment!

It's just a little odd how our whole perspective sometimes changes as we grow older.

Upvote 0

JAM2b

Sep 20, 2014
✟93,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I've noticed this even in my own family. I think it is partially related to genes, and part of it is lifestyle.

I'm the oldest female cousin in both my mother's family and my father's family. All of them who are relatively close to my age look older in the face than I do. Differences are they used drugs when they were younger (some still do last I heard) they all smoked, and they all spent a huge amount outdoors having a lot of sun exposure.

Looking at the genes, my mother's family ages in the face at a faster rate. My father's family turns grey at a younger age. There are a handful of people in my mother's family who turned grey at very early ages, one in her teen years. But most of them held their youthful color through their forties and into their early fifties. got my father's slower face aging, but his early greying. The grey isn't too bad, but at the age of 40, I have enough for people to notice and get some comments.

I have some physical problems that make me walk like I'm 80 years old.

I know a pair of sisters who are identical twins. One married an alcoholic and did a lot of drinking and partying herself. She had to work hard jobs and often more than one job. She also had more kids, and in my opinion, giving birth ages women. The other one married an upper middle class and was a stay at home mom. She never had to worry about money, and spent her children's school days being involved in activities she wanted to do out in the community. By the time they were in the mid forties, the first one looked 10-15 years older and people who did not know them when they were younger did not believe they were twins.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Rough living, stress, and genetics all play a role. I'm 41 and I'm a nurse. I routinely see patients around my age that look significantly older than my own parents. People don't believe I'm 41. Most assume I haven't even reached 30 yet. In fact, I look younger than quite a few people in their twenties. It's very odd to be told by someone younger than yourself that you'll understand x, y, z when you reach their age. I often don't have the heart to tell them I'm older than they are.

If you have time, look up telomeres and their effect on cellular aging and what you can do to help combat it.

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,659.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats

My 30 year high-school reunion is this July and I've been catching up with some of my classmates on Facebook. Most of us look pretty close in age while some look much younger and others much, much older.

One of my classmates works for the same company I do, but was a grade ahead of me. He looks at least 15yrs older than me and walks like a 70yr old. I chat with him every now and then and he's not a smoker, not a drug user (our company has random drug tests), so I'm not sure why he looks to be in his 60's rather than late 40's.
People who have had to endure difficult lives for any reason tend to wear out quicker.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

hopesum

Oct 31, 2017
✟15,786.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

There are definite reasons why some age slower than others. Heredity of course is ONE, but because I can't control that, I focus on what I can control.

I addressed this in another post:
Is 40 young?

Consumption is a BIG Key!

Upvote 0

Servant68

Sleepless 300 miles from Seattle
Jun 30, 2015
The Pacific Northwest
✟73,203.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I only know two vegetarians; my sister and a guy at work. Both appear unhealthily skinny. The guy at work is my age and looks like death warmed over. Doesn't drink or smoke, is about as liberal/leftist as you can get, and just looks sickly. My sister is ten years younger than me and looks great, however. But she is a Christian and conservative.

Maybe the key is politics?:scratch::holy:

Upvote 0

hopesum

Oct 31, 2017
✟15,786.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I only know two vegetarians; my sister and a guy at work. Both appear unhealthily skinny. The guy at work is my age and looks like death warmed over. Doesn't drink or smoke, is about as liberal/leftist as you can get, and just looks sickly. My sister is ten years younger than me and looks great, however. But she is a Christian and conservative.

Maybe the key is politics?:scratch::holy:

It's not about veganism or vegetarianism. It's about Nutrition. If you're cooking all your vegetables you're killing the nutrition. You're essentially eating dead food that is not providing what you need for vitality. (Hence, dead animals don't either!) Another HUGE reason for consuming more fresh produce is the Enzymes.

This is as simple as I can make it: Every time you eat cooked food your body has to use more enzymes to digest the food, more then you re-manufacture within your body. Enzyme depletion then takes place over time. You become Enzyme-deficient. When the body is enzyme deficient you are no longer able to digest all the proteins, carbs, and fats to the micro level (micro-nutrients). This leads to partial digestion.

The undigested food accumulates. Consequently the proteins, fats and carbohydrates rancidifies, ferments, and/or putrefies within your body. This putrefaction gets into the blood, your brain, digestive track, tissues, organs, glands. This then attracts parasites, bacteria, and yeast. RESULT: a perfect environment for disease such as cancer, diabetes, heart attack, inflammation, and so on.

This is not the ONLY cause for such illnesses, but from a food perspective, it is dominant. (other things are environment, unforgiveness, etc.) The good news is it's never too late, you can begin now to consume Raw Living Foods. Research and begin your own journey of superior health. Alone, a book or a 20min talk with a RAW expert will not help you. You have to go on the journey yourself, over time. A Tip: The simpler and fresher— the better. :)

Reactions: Servant68
Upvote 0