• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Disney fires 'Guardians of the Galaxy' director James Gunn over 'indefensible' old tweets

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by SummerMadness, Jul 22, 2018.

1. SummerMadness

SummerMadness Senior Veteran

+8,477
    Christian
    Disney fires 'Guardians of the Galaxy' director James Gunn over 'indefensible' old tweets

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Kenny'sID

Kenny'sID Well-Known Member Supporter

+4,996
    Christian
    Single
    I actually read the tweets, so editing out my misunderstandings.

3. NothingIsImpossible

NothingIsImpossible Well-Known Member

+2,940
    Christian
    Married
    I signed the petition to have him rehired. Disney made a terrible mistake. They only did this because of the on going merger deal with Fox. What makes this all worse is the group that brought up the tweets is a far alt-right group who wanted him fired because Rosanne got fired from her own show. That group doesn't actually care about anything, they do it for the "lols". Years ago he apologized for these tweets and said he was trying to be "edgy" comedy wise. Hes since grown out of that phase and changed. Its been almost 10 years since those tweets.

4. EastCoastRemnant

EastCoastRemnant I Must Decrease That He May Increase Supporter

+1,441
    SDA
    Married
    If a person can be held responsible for innuendo's and actions done years ago re: #MeToo, then what a person submits to the web should be equally weighed.

Just for the record, there is no way in any facet of comedy that those tweets could be construed as such.... imo, he is just trying to do damage control for himself. Kind of like if I killed someone and then told the judge it was only meant as comedy....

5. EastCoastRemnant

+1,441
    SDA
    Married
    Just curious, do you support Roman Polanski?

6. συνείδησις

συνείδησις ¿uo buıob sı ʇɐɥʍ

+428
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    It's fitting when the left gets caught in its own web of intolerance.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  7. mala

mala fluffy lion

+1,591
    Muslim
    Single
    not that i'm defending james gunn but unlike polanski he didn't actually have sex with an underage girl.

8. SkyWriting

SkyWriting The Librarian Supporter

+5,384
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
  9. EastCoastRemnant

+1,441
    SDA
    Married
    No, he just fantasized about it on a public platform like twitter... hence, why he lost his job.

10. Desk trauma

Desk trauma Atheist Capitalist Supporter

+5,912
    Atheist
    Private
    US-Libertarian
    Polanski didn’t “have sex with an underage girl” he drugged and raped a 13 year old girl, orally, vaginally and rectally.

11. Goonie

Goonie Not so Mystic Mog. Supporter

+6,382
    United Kingdom
    Atheist
    Single
    There is a big difference, between edgy comedian and child rapist that is Roman Polanski.

12. EastCoastRemnant

+1,441
    SDA
    Married
    What he tweeted is not "edgy comedy" anymore than Kathy Griffin holding the beheaded Trump prop. If anyone finds these two things funny, then I am thankfully not of the world.

13. EastCoastRemnant

+1,441
    SDA
    Married
    Sad that so many Hollywood elites support the guy.... says a lot about our culture despite what we think of ourselves, imo.

14. SummerMadness

+8,477
    Christian
    I don't understand this response. The man made crass jokes a decade ago. When he was hired by Disney, these jokes were brought to the forefront, to which he acknowledged them, apologized for it, and took full responsibility for what he wrote. A decade later, a rapist spammed these tweets at Disney to get them to fire him, much like he did with Sam Seder in 2017. As a corporate structure, Disney took the safest route and fired Gunn, but you're saying you have a problem with "Hollywood elites" supporting him?

As it stands, this more likely about people unhappy with Roseanne being fired, but those are very different scenarios. Roseanne's comments were current, she apologized then retracted her apology, the online response to her tweets came about because people followed her as opposed to a right-wing rapist targeting the person.

I understand the firing, but faux outrage is just that, faux outrage.

15. συνείδησις

+428
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    Pedophilia is apparently rampant there. They stick up for their own. The sooner America turns their backs on Hollywood the better.

16. συνείδησις

+428
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    That tells you right there that pedophilia and Disney don't go together... Well... at least when it becomes public. IF what you say is true, why didn't that guy go back and delete what he considered to be wrong. Sorry. Doesn't add up.

17. SummerMadness

+8,477
    Christian
    Apparently, you are unaware of Gunn addressing these tweets back in 2012. It's not a matter of "if what you say is true," you are simply ignorant of the facts, which adds to faux outrage on display here. For you, this is about Gunn's anti-Trump tweets, so you are feigning concern about the humor.

18. SummerMadness

+8,477
    Christian
    Hollywood is America, both the good and the bad.

19. συνείδησις

+428
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    That's certainly the myth Hollywood wants America to believe. Job security, yano. America needs to drive it into bankruptcy.

20. variant

variant Happy Cat

+4,078
    Agnostic
    Single
    What exactly are we being called to tolerate here?