Disney Bans Smoking: Will It Now Ban Catholic Bashing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kepha31

Jun 15, 2007
✟44,439.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
July 25, 2007

Disney president Robert Iger wrote a letter today to Rep. Edward Markey, chairman of the House Telecommunications & Internet Subcommittee, regarding smoking in its films. Here is an excerpt:

“We discourage depictions of cigarette smoking in Disney, Touchstone and Miramax films. In particular, we expect depictions of cigarette smoking in future Disney branded films will be non-existent.”

As a result, Iger also said that Disney “will place an anti-smoking PSA [Public Service Announcement] on DVD’s of any future film that does depict smoking. In addition, we will work with theater owners to encourage the exhibition of an anti-smoking PSA before the theatrical exhibition of any such film.”

The Catholic League takes note of this development, especially as Disney owns ABC, the network that airs the anti-Catholic show, ‘The View.’ And under its Miramax label in the past, Disney has given us such anti-Catholic movies as Priest, Dogma, Butcher Boy, 40 Days and 40 Nights, The Magdalene Sisters and Black Christmas.

Catholic League president Bill Donohue said today that it would be refreshing if Iger would issue a similar letter today, only this time targeting anti-Catholicism. He even penned a model for him:

“We discourage depictions of Catholic bashing in Disney, Touchstone and Miramax films. In particular, we expect depictions of Catholic bashing in future Disney branded films will be non-existent. We will place an anti-Catholic bashing PSA on DVD’s of any future film that does depict Catholic bashing. In addition, we will work with theater owners to encourage the exhibition of an anti-Catholic bashing PSA before the theatrical exhibition of any such film.”

Donohue said that if Iger accedes to his request, there will be no fee for his service.:cool:
http://www.catholicleague.org/

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
that kevin smith lol, love mallrats, we are walking a fine line on one hand the culture has an anti-catholic bias, either from anti-religous liberals (not all liberals mind you) or some fundimentalist groups, on the other hand the catholic legue whines a lot
oh and I hate Disney, they need to make decent cartoon movies for kids agian, the last 8 years Disney has made nothing but utter dung, last good movie for kids was what? the lion king?

Upvote 0

Maynard Keenan

Aug 21, 2004
Louisville, KY
✟20,085.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I haven't seen all of those movies, but the ones I've seen didn't bash Catholics. Just because something upsets your sensibilities doesn't mean it is bashing you. And if it happens to, grow a pair and don't go crying every time somebody is mean to you.

Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
So if a Jew complained about being perseucted on TV would you say he has a complex too??

I would.

Just because something upsets your sensibilities doesn't mean it is bashing you. And if it happens to, grow a pair and don't go crying every time somebody is mean to you.

Yup-yup....and if your TV offendeth thee, cut it off.

Upvote 0

SallyNow

Blame it on the SOCK GNOMES!
May 14, 2004
Canada
✟18,878.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If a movie presents a reality, whether it be smoking or a few bad apples in the very good Catholic Church, would it not be, essentially, lying by omission?

There are two historically true statements here:

one, that smoking was popular for over a hundred years in North American Europe and much of Asia and that movies depicting those years will probably need to include smoking to remain truthful.

two, that there have been some very bad apples in the Catholic Church, and that when dealing with time periods or events of historical importance that deal with such bad apples in the Catholic Church, those bad apples must be shown. That does not mean that move itself is anti-Catholic.

As for Dogma, that's just skeptical of all religons.

However, there are movies that are made with the intention of bashing and smearing a group of people - be it homosexuals, hispanics, teachers, doctors, or Catholics. These movies must be ignored.

But there is a fundemental difference between a movie like The Magdelene Sisters, which shows a historically relavent story, and, say, The Davinci Code, which bashes Catholics for no purpose other than that they are a large, easy target. Even then, it seems that the Catholics where chosen at random to make the story more smoothly...

What I'm saying is... I can understand the anger, but it must be aimed at the right kind of movies - movies that really do slander and falsify information. It must not be aimed at movies that present factual events. On the contrary, movies based on factual negative events should be seen as a way to grow and forgive.

:groupray:

Upvote 0

Cosmic Charlie

The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated
Oct 14, 2003
✟67,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
July 25, 2007

Priest, Dogma, Butcher Boy, 40 Days and 40 Nights, The Magdalene Sisters and Black Christmas.

Priest - Never saw it

Buther boy - Never saw it

40 Days and 40 Nights- just offensive gernerally, to claim its anit-Catholic specially is a stretch

Teh Magdalene Sister - The truth is it own defense. Don't do anti-Catholic things and they can't make movies about you doing it.

Black Chistmas - How is this anti-Catholic exactly.

I have an idea: Let's boycott Donahune instead. The man see's anit-Catholics under his bed.

And Carmondy:

You got at problem,

Catholic.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Pogue

left CF, please see profile for further details
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2006
http://www.thesonscafe.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=15
✟59,840.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Greens
The Catholic League takes note of this development, especially as Disney owns ABC, the network that airs the anti-Catholic show, ‘The View.’ And under its Miramax label in the past, Disney has given us such anti-Catholic movies as Priest, Dogma, Butcher Boy, 40 Days and 40 Nights, The Magdalene Sisters and Black Christmas.

I've only seen the Magdalene Sisters, but wouldn't agree that it's anti-Catholic. It's not an attack on the Catholic faith, but on individual people who ran the institution.
I also read Butcher Boy in book form- although it was quite strange and disturbing, I didn't notice anything specifically anti-Catholic. That's just my interpretation though- other people might think differently.

Upvote 0

Cosmic Charlie

Oct 14, 2003
✟67,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I wonder if we'll ever get to the point where they start editting out cigarettes for the good of all of us. James Dean would look pretty cool, leaning up against a wall, got his red coat on, white t-shirt..orange popcicle in his hand.
The cig is mightier the popicle.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟439,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Catholic League president Bill Donohue said today that it would be refreshing if Iger would issue a similar letter today, only this time targeting anti-Catholicism. He even penned a model for him:

“We discourage depictions of Catholic bashing in Disney, Touchstone and Miramax films. In particular, we expect depictions of Catholic bashing in future Disney branded films will be non-existent. We will place an anti-Catholic bashing PSA on DVD’s of any future film that does depict Catholic bashing. In addition, we will work with theater owners to encourage the exhibition of an anti-Catholic bashing PSA before the theatrical exhibition of any such film.”

That would be very nice, considering how many ppl actually believe alot of this crap....and see the Church in a bad light due to it.

Its not a psuedo complex...it's a real attack.
Every movie I ever watched [with exception of Catholic movies] the Church was usually put in a bad light.

That messes with alot of folks.
Defamation of 'character', and bearing false witness...so that ppl cannot trust the Church.

God Bless.

Upvote 0

Cosmic Charlie

Oct 14, 2003
✟67,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
A few, of the top of the internet and my head film not necessarly Catholic in nature that have prevasive Catholic values as a major part of the theme.

THE AGE OF INNOCENCE (1993)
ANGELS WITH DIRTY FACES (1938)
THE ASSISI UNDERGROUND (1984)
AU REVOIR, LES ENFANTS (1987)
BABETTE'S FEAST (1987)
BACHELOR MOTHER (1939)
BICYCLE THIEVES (1947)
BLUE (1992)
CASABLANCA (1942)
BEN HUR (1959)
. THE CHAMP (1931)
CHARIOTS OF FIRE (1981)
EL CID (1961)
CITY LIGHTS (1930)
UN CONDAMNE A MORT S'EST ECHAPPE (1956)
DIARY OF A COUNTRY PRIEST (1950)
GOING MY WAY (1944)
HE GOSPEL ACCORDING TO ST. MATTHEW (1964)

GRAND ILLUSION (1937)
THE GRAPES OF WRATH (1940)
GROUNDHOG DAY (1993)
IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE (1946)
THE LAST SUPPER (1976)
THE MIRACLE WORKER (1962)
MY NIGHT AT MAUD'S (1969)
VERTIGO (1958)
FEARLESS
[FONT=&quot]PLACES IN THE HEART[/FONT]

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Voegelin

Reactionary
Aug 18, 2003
Connecticut
✟26,726.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
That would be very nice, considering how many ppl actually believe alot of this crap....and see the Church in a bad light due to it . . .

It is worse than many Catholics know. They know about the social activists and the fundamentalist protestant theological objections to Catholicism. Many don't know the utter disdain toward Catholicism these films (and the media in general) has inculcated in those who are too polite to express their feelings. These are the people who, if exposed to the real church, would find many things to appreciate. Some would convert. But they don't do either because they have, thanks to the popular culture and our "entertainment industry, an opinion of the church totally at odds with reality.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.