Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Anyone else think threads on here sometimes get a bit OTT? Disagreement is one thing, it’s surprising though how in threads I’ve been following personal digs, between people who hardly know each other, start popping up. Seems like they would be better without that.

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟718,686.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Anyone else think threads on here sometimes get a bit OTT? Disagreement is one thing, it’s surprising though how in threads I’ve been following personal digs, between people who hardly know each other, start popping up. Seems like they would be better without that.

That's just people being people, most try to refrain, but sometimes the worst comes out in us, seemingly out of nowhere sometimes, including myself. Also communicating especially thru text is difficult .... well let's face it ... communicating is difficult. Unless it gets really really ugly ... which is not allowed on here, of which I really appreciate .... then I try and I mean try to stick to the main point of discussion and ignore the rest. Even so we all often get lost in the weeds. ;o)

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟718,686.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Out of the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaks.

Jeremiah 17

9The heart is deceitful above all things,
and desperately sick;
who can understand it?

Only God.

• Agree
Reactions: Tom 1
Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That's just people being people, most try to refrain, but sometimes the worst comes out in us, seemingly out of nowhere sometimes, including myself. Also communicating especially thru text is difficult .... well let's face it ... communicating is difficult. Unless it gets really really ugly ... which is not allowed on here, of which I really appreciate .... then I try and I mean try to stick to the main point of discussion and ignore the rest. Even so we all often get lost in the weeds. ;o)

I agree with you that most of us only cross the line at times and regret it later but there are a few people that seem to come here with the idea of ridiculing others rather than having a discussion.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Real life has it's ups and downs....for the most part anyway, I say let it take it's course.

As far as OTT, assuming you mean off topic, I never recall being bothered by that.

As to heated arguments, usually it's heated because it's important and good things can come out of something like that. Things are either solved or people are really thinking about both sides, and seeds are planted.

Best to be cool always, but when things get heated, to a point anyway, it's not the worst thing that could happen.

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Real life has it's ups and downs....for the most part anyway, I say let it take it's course.

As far as OTT, assuming you mean off topic, I never recall being bothered by that.

As to heated arguments, usually it's heated because it's important and good things can come out of something like that. Things are either solved or people are really thinking about both sides, and seeds are planted.

Best to be cool always, but when things get heated, to a point anyway, it's not the worst thing that could happen.

Sorry by OTT I meant over the top.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I agree with you that most of us only cross the line at times and regret it later but there are a few people that seem to come here with the idea of ridiculing others rather than having a discussion.

That absolutely does happen. And there are some that argue for the sake of arguing. Most are never wrong 100% of the time but when someone argues with everything we say...it's a tip off that they are that...argumentative. I'm learning to pick up on that and drop out, saves a lot of wasted time.

• Agree
Reactions: Sarah G
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That absolutely does happen. And there are some that argue for the sake of arguing. Most are never wrong 100% of the time but when someone argues with everything we say...it's a tip off that they are that...argumentative. I'm learning to pick up on that and drop out, saves a lot of wasted time.

I don't mind people arguing for the sake of argument. Playing devil's advocate for instance. What is more bothersome to me is the person that will not argue honestly by addressing the points I made but instead ignores my rebuttals of their argument and then proceeds to pretend I am saying something I did not say.

Reactions: Kenny'sID
Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't mind people arguing for the sake of argument. Playing devil's advocate for instance. What is more bothersome to me is the person that will not argue honestly by addressing the points I made but instead ignores my rebuttals of their argument and then proceeds to pretend I am saying something I did not say.

Yes, I often address the "tricks" and the lack of rebuttals usually speak loudly. Then there's the making a huge deal out of anything you say once they see they are losing ground, in order to try to discredit you as a defense, instead of just defending with something reasonable.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums