Discussion: Should the words 'gosh' and 'gee' be banned for TAW members?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Protoevangel

Smash the Patriarchy!
Feb 6, 2004
Eugene, OR
✟33,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
As far as I am concerned, the thread has run it's course. It looks to me that the answer to Aria's OP question is a resounding "no". That's fine. Personally, I am more interested in suggesting the voluntary abstaining from using the word(s).

If people are so comfortable with the words, then what can I say, I am no one's Spiritual Father. However, I do think the defense so far, for using the words, has been extremely weak. If anyone has anything of substance to put forward to suggest that using the words is not a form of irreverence to God's name, even while knowing their origin and current meaning, I would still be interested in hearing it.

Upvote 0

Oblio

Creed or Chaos
Jun 24, 2003
Georgia - USA
Visit site
✟27,610.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How many of us honestly would correct a brother who at coffee hour said something like ' ...gee, I don't think that is what happened ...' ??

The bottom line is that these words have come to be exclamations on their own and divorced from their etymological past. Even if one was taught at some time to use them as a polite substitute (which I'll concede was the wrong thing to do at that time) chances are that there is no longer any Holy meaning attached to them now for either the transmitter or the receiver.

Upvote 0

Oblio

Creed or Chaos
Jun 24, 2003
Georgia - USA
Visit site
✟27,610.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Shall we also ban the use of G-d and other such Hebrewphilic constructs. I personally find these offensive for they are counter to the Gospel when God became man and sojourned with us ?

What about if we should say: May God punish them for their transgressions ? Is this not simply longhand for that which would be banned here as 'gosh darn it ...' ?

Upvote 0

Guineverelyndy

The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.
Feb 25, 2006
California
✟8,696.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
God's name is Holy. You don't "substitute" it for swearing. That very act in itself is taking His Holy name irreverently.

It is a substitution to mean the very same thing. Look at the part of the dictionary.com definition for euphemism you left out:
2. the expression so substituted: “To pass away” is a euphemism for “to die.”
"To pass away" means the very same thing as "to die".

So, I understand what you're trying to say, but it doesn't seem to hold water.
You are correct in that I missed a part of that definition. I still, however, dont' agree that "gosh" is God's name.

Ask yourself if you would feel comfortable adressing God as "Gosh." If you would honestly have no problems doing this (meaning you really believe 'gosh' is another name for God), I will never say that word around you again. But honestly, I don't think you would feel comfortable with it because gosh is now an expression and an exclamation rather than a name.

Upvote 0

choirfiend

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Pennsylvania
✟54,941.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In general, I'm in favor of people being educated and following their conscience and the counsel of their spiritual fathers.

In this specific instance, I must agree that the words are disconnected from their original meaning. Such is the development of language.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OrthodoxyUSA

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
In general, I'm in favor of people being educated and following their conscience and the counsel of their spiritual fathers.

In this specific instance, I must agree that the words are disconnected from their original meaning. Such is the development of language.

Disconnected by those who don't know better. It is offensive to those who hear it and understand the underlying meaning.

Take for example... your grandparents. Did you not ever say something in front of them that made them absolutely cringe? I did... and it seems to get worse with every generation.

Forgive me...

Upvote 0

Oblio

Creed or Chaos
Jun 24, 2003
Georgia - USA
Visit site
✟27,610.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think the question is, is the offense taken by some members enough to warrant censorship of TAW ?

If this is the case, where does one stop ? Shall we prohibit threads where we discuss Christ in Harry Potter ? How about those that see the Gospel in the words of the Poet Robert Hunter ? Lord of the Rings ? Star Wars ? Can we mention how we were moved by a evangelical hymn (though clearly heterodox), or a Puritan prayer ?

I for one don't want TAW to become a cyber monastery where someone slaps my knees if I cross them.

And yes, I know there is a corollary to the above :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SeraphimSarov

Пресвятая Богородица, спаси нас...
Feb 16, 2007
Nowhere
✟28,776.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
I would not vote for censorship.

But I would vote for censership!:liturgy:

Forgive me...

I don't know which is worse - your joke or the fact that I LOL'ed at it.

Upvote 0

OrthodoxyUSA

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I don't know which is worse - your joke or the fact that I LOL'ed at it.

That's what were here for... just trying to help.

Forgive me...:liturgy:

Upvote 0

OrthodoxyUSA

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm just wondering what we're supposed to say in place of "gosh," "golly," "gee whiz," etc. I feel like Leave to Beaver.

Nothing... they are not needed.

Try "Lord have mercy!", when you feel the urge.

Forgive me...:liturgy:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.