Discussion: Should the words 'gosh' and 'gee' be banned for TAW members?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrueHope

Senior Veteran
Mar 11, 2007
Visit site
✟10,944.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Here is my unworthy opinion. I would think that most of us here have never even heard that Gosh represents God...and Geez, Jesus. I have never heard that before in my life. Now, if this is true, then our hearts will be touched to change these words in our life into something else. Like for me, When I was not a Christian, I used to say, "For God's sakes" So once I became a Christian, I, personally found it to be extremely offensive, but the phrase was always on the tip of my tongue. So I took God out of it completely and replaced it with corn. That way no name is used. And no offense taken by anyone.

If these roots are true, then yes, we should wake up to it, and it is a good wake up call....but we can't force people to make this decision, as everyone's backgrounds are different. Raised differently. If God convicts one of cutting those words out, fine, if they don't feel convicted, then it is their walk....

Just my little opinion.

Upvote 0

Guineverelyndy

The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.
Feb 25, 2006
California
✟8,696.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Again, just because a word comes from a different word, it does not mean they are the same word now. English is a dynamic language and we have plenty of words that no longer mean what they used to. It's not blasphemy, plain and simple, because "Gosh" does not mean "God."

Upvote 0

TrueHope

Senior Veteran
Mar 11, 2007
Visit site
✟10,944.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Again, just because a word comes from a different word, it does not mean they are the same word now. English is a dynamic language and we have plenty of words that no longer mean what they used to. It's not blasphemy, plain and simple, because "Gosh" does not mean "God."
Can I use Pimp as an example of this. Pimp my ride, Pimp my bike, Pimp my house.....as far as I know, Pimp was a dirty dirty man with a dirty dirty job, stealing from dirty, dirty women and beating them too. Now they have T-shirts, Pimp my.......whatever it is they choose to pimp up.

Like I said before, it is a personal thing, we can't force someone to not use these words, those without sin, please cast the first stone. It sure won't be me. Enough said on my part.

Upvote 0

Protoevangel

Smash the Patriarchy!
Feb 6, 2004
Eugene, OR
✟33,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Personally, I think it would be nice is people would have just said no, instead of calling it stupid, idiotic, pharisaic, etc.

Look, I don't know Aria that well, but I think I know her well enough to say that this thread came from her heart. She had a genuine concern, and many of you are treating her like a fool.

I responded to those attacks improperly myself, and for that, I would like to beg you all for your forgiveness.

The truth is, until yesterday, I never knew the origin (and yes, the current meaning) of the word(s). I used the words out of ignorance. I do not want to use them that way now that I know what they really mean.

The thread was to ask people what they thought, and now we know. Let's try to to cease attacking Aria, and her ideas.

Upvote 0

Guineverelyndy

Feb 25, 2006
California
✟8,696.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I guess I should stay away from the non-monastic indeliberate blasphemers here at foru.ms and at TAW.

Protoevangel, please explain to me why it is just fine for Aria to say this to everyone, but it is not ok for me to call her idea idiotic?

This is why I don't why to be here anymore. There is this tremendous double-standard. This thread isn't a discussion - it was an opportunity for Aria and whoever else to say that their opinion about certain words is dogma and asking whether that dogma should be enforced. I think that's utter hogwash and I want nothing to do with it.

Reactions: choirfiend
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Breaking Babylon

Who is this King of glory?
Site Supporter
Jan 1, 2006
West Virginia
✟58,374.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Please forgive me if by my words I've made anyone feel foolish, ridiculed, or hurt in any way. I'm stubborn and opinionated but never directed my words or thoughts towards any person. Only towards an idea that I don't personally see eye to eye with.

I don't see anyone here as a pharisee or a fool. If anything, it seems some of us have been raised with a taboo and some of us haven't.

I am known to be wrong.

Upvote 0

Protoevangel

Smash the Patriarchy!
Feb 6, 2004
Eugene, OR
✟33,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Guineverelyndy said:
Aria said:
I guess I should stay away from the non-monastic indeliberate blasphemers here at foru.ms and at TAW.
Protoevangel, please explain to me why it is just fine for Aria to say this to everyone, but it is not ok for me to call her idea idiotic?
Apparently, what you take offence to here is the word, "blasphemers". What is a blasphemer, Guineverelyndy? A blasphemer (used as an intransitive verb, according to Merriam Webster) is one who utters blasphemy or irreverence toward something considered sacred or inviolable.

The word gosh is indeed a euphemism for God, as most any dictionary will show you, and as history proves. Therefore one who uses it as an exclamation or mild oath, or defends the use of such, is indeed showing a lack of reverence for God’s Holy, Sacred, and Inviolable name. Anyone who fits into this category is indeed a blasphemer, even if it is indeliberate.

Now “idiotic” on the other hand, is characterized by idiocy or showing complete lack of thought or common sense. It is obvious that Aria was defiantly thinking about her post. While she was being thoughtful, and asking what everybody else thought about her idea (an act demonstrating both thoughtfulness and common sense), you insist upon being intentionally and unnecessarily rude to her. Where is the lack of thought or common sense now, Guineverelyndy?

Guineverelyndy said:
This is why I don't why to be here anymore. There is this tremendous double-standard. This thread isn't a discussion - it was an opportunity for Aria and whoever else to say that their opinion about certain words is dogma and asking whether that dogma should be enforced. I think that's utter hogwash and I want nothing to do with it.
Personally, I'd like to see you stick around. When you aren't thoughtlessly hurling insults, I think you have a lot of good input. I usually very much enjoy your participation. But like several people have said to Aria, that's up to you.

Upvote 0

Guineverelyndy

Feb 25, 2006
California
✟8,696.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Apparently, what you take offence to here is the word, "blasphemers". What is a blasphemer, Guineverelyndy? A blasphemer (used as an intransitive verb, according to Merriam Webster) is one who utters blasphemy or irreverence toward something considered sacred or inviolable.

The word gosh is indeed a euphemism for God, as most any dictionary will show you, and as history proves. Therefore one who uses it as an exclamation or mild oath, or defends the use of such, is indeed showing a lack of reverence for God’s Holy, Sacred, and Inviolable name. Anyone who fits into this category is indeed a blasphemer, even if it is indeliberate.

Thank you so much for condescending to offer me that definition. May I offer you one in return?

eu·phe·mism
premium.gif
thinsp.png
/ˈyu
thinsp.png
fəˌmɪz

–noun 1.the substitution of a mild, indirect, or vague expression for one thought to be offensive, harsh, or blunt.

In other words, it is a different word to be used in place of blasphemy in order to avoid blasphemy or offend people. Therefore it is NOT the same thing.

You also said: "It is obvious that Aria was defiantly thinking about her post."

THAT I will agree with, as you wrote it.

Reactions: Khaleas
Upvote 0

nutroll

Veteran
Apr 26, 2006
Boise, ID
Visit site
✟280,560.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I don't know why but this whole thing reminds me of the blasphemy scene in Monty Python's Life of Brian (for those of you who don't consider the whole movie blasphemous, that is). With that in mind, I would like to say that I don't want anyone stoning anyone else, until I blow this whistle. *brandishes whistle* Even if, and I want to make this perfectly clear, even if they do say Jehovah.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Protoevangel

Smash the Patriarchy!
Feb 6, 2004
Eugene, OR
✟33,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Isaac the Syrian said:
Please forgive me if by my words I've made anyone feel foolish, ridiculed, or hurt in any way. I'm stubborn and opinionated but never directed my words or thoughts towards any person. Only towards an idea that I don't personally see eye to eye with.

I don't see anyone here as a pharisee or a fool. If anything, it seems some of us have been raised with a taboo and some of us haven't.

I am known to be wrong.
Thank you for this Isaac.

Just so you know, Up until very recently, I saw nothing wrong with using the words. I grew up using them, and have allowed my own children to use them. In fact, have not yet forbidden my children to use them, because I was hoping to see some thoughtful discussion here. But so far, you and TrueHope, are about the only one’s who have posted dissenting opinions in a thoughtful manner. Pretty much everything else has been insults, sarcasm, and other prattle. Unfortunately, I have reacted in kind.

Upvote 0

Protoevangel

Smash the Patriarchy!
Feb 6, 2004
Eugene, OR
✟33,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Guineverelyndy said:
eu·phe·mism /ˈyufəˌmɪz
–noun 1.the substitution of a mild, indirect, or vague expression for one thought to be offensive, harsh, or blunt.

In other words, it is a different word to be used in place of blasphemy in order to avoid blasphemy or offend people. Therefore it is NOT the same thing.
God's name is Holy. You don't "substitute" it for swearing. That very act in itself is taking His Holy name irreverently.

It is a substitution to mean the very same thing. Look at the part of the dictionary.com definition for euphemism you left out:
2. the expression so substituted: “To pass away” is a euphemism for “to die.”
"To pass away" means the very same thing as "to die".

So, I understand what you're trying to say, but it doesn't seem to hold water.

Upvote 0

Oblio

Creed or Chaos
Jun 24, 2003
Georgia - USA
Visit site
✟27,610.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm with Sothron here. For most of us the words have lost the 'meaning' that is being ascribed to them by those who are considering them as polite replacements for blasphemy.

What next, shall we ban shoot, we've already banned the common (i.e. vulgar) words used by those who got their butts kicked a millenia ago, where shall we stop ?

IMO a polite word to those who are using them as a substitute in irreverence is all that is needed, and even then only in extreme cases. Banning them in TAW is not only impractical and legalistic, but counter to our mission here.

Oh, BTW, the MBFKACF filter already filters out O-M-G, which IMO is asinine.

Upvote 0

ByzantineDixie

Handmaid of God, Mary
Jan 11, 2004
Visit site
✟11,649.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Innocence lost...I hate it when that happens.

I say keep the words. Someone else may have derived the words Gee, and Golly, etc. from the word "God" but most users of these euphemisms actually think if it was clean enough for Happy Days...it's clean enough to use on a Christian Forum. These words were always the clean alternatives.

I agree there are bigger fish to fry...at least in my own life.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.