Discuss or debate the extent of the traditions of man in the Church and it's effect on the Church

JohnD70X7

Feb 10, 2021
Southwest
✟56,324.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Mark 7:13 (NKJV)
13 making the word of God of no effect through your tradition which you have handed down. And many such things you do.”

Mark 7:7 (NKJV)
7 And in vain they worship Me, Teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.’

Are we in the Church just like the Sanhedrin (Pharisees, Sadducees, scribes, priests)? Or have we been duped by long standing traditions (1500 + years some of them).

The more I study this under the tutelage of the Holy Spirit, the more I discover most of Christendom falls into one or the other of these two categories. Desperately trying not to sound like Chicken Little here, but if the sky is indeed falling... ought I not begin to squawk?

I plan on this being controversial and heated for those who bother to participate.

"Controversy for the sake of controversy is sin. Controversy for the sake of truth is a divine command." -- the late great Dr. Walter Martin (original Bible Answer Man and founder of the Christian Research Institute).

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟335,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Consider also I Corinthians 11:23ff: "For I received from the Lord what I also handed on to you, that the Lord Jesus on the night when he was betrayed took a loaf of bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and said, 'This is my body that is for you. Do this in remembrance of me.' " If the earliest Christians had not handed on to later generations the stories of what they'd seen, how would I ever know who Jesus was?

Tradition isn't infallible -- we imperfect humans make mistakes -- but I find church tradition to be a priceless source of information and wisdom.

[ As an aside, I think that this discussion would be a better fit for one of the theology forums, rather than "Suggest New Forums". ]

• Agree
Reactions: ralliann
Upvote 0

sandman

Aug 17, 2003
MI
✟121,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution
Traditions within families can be bonding….. depending on the tradition.

Supplementing or incorporating tradition into the written Word or into religious services can be destructive and misleading….depending on the tradition, of which there are many, including sayings, writings, rituals, services, acts, garments, gestures, idol worship and adoration, and various other beliefs.

Never, does tradition override or contradict the Word of Truth…..and therein must one be vigilant. Because tradition is subtle …it looks good, it feels good, the people are sincere …but none of that is a guarantee for truth.

At the root of almost all religion(s) is a works based doctrine ……many times based in or from tradition…which is equated to…or is esteemed above the Word of God ….That is why I frequently state that religion is what man thinks of God….Christianity is what God wrought through His son Jesus Christ…it’s a way of a Father with His family.
Man has this yearning desire provide works for his salvation equating self-righteousness with the acquisition of salvation, it’s a sort of self-righteous bio that a person reflects on for the goodness of his life to earn salvation…Except…… Grace cannot be earned.

Reactions: JohnD70X7
Upvote 0

JohnD70X7

Feb 10, 2021
Southwest
✟56,324.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
At the heart of tradition, works salvation, the pomp and celebration of religious ceremony and fervor is the utter self denial of how wicked we really are... how incapable and inept we are... just like the Word of God tries to tell us.

Humanity is satanic insanity. By nature. That's why people do what people do. Why we bite the hand that feeds us. etc.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟775,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
As this is the "Suggest New Forums" forum, how do you envision the content to be something that would not fit in other categories such as General Theology, Denomination Specific Theology, or Controversial Christian Theology, all of which are debate forums?

Upvote 0