SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟176,444.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Scientists discover a mechanism for memory transfer between individuals in C. elegans:
"We found that one worm can learn to avoid this pathogenic bacterium and if we grind up that worm, or even just use the media the worms are swimming in, and give that media or the crushed-worm lysate to naive worms, those worms now 'learn' to avoid the pathogen as well," explains Murphy.
.. with behavioural changes resulting in the worms 'consuming' those memories .. and also in up to four generations of their offspring:
This finding suggests that worms secrete some signal that, when picked up by other worms, can modify their behavior. Interestingly, the progeny of worms "educated" by receipt of this signal also avoid pathogenic P. aeruginosa for the following four generations. This suggests that the secreted signal touches off the same learning pathway in recipient worms as in those directly exposed to the pathogen. Murphy's group sought to identify the secreted signal.
Maybe we'll have to reconsider that cannibalism thing again(?) :eek:
;)
The conclusion:
"This is another intriguing episode in a growing number of studies that have implicated systemic RNA signals in influencing behavior transgenerationally, and if this study is correct, now even horizontally."

• Haha
Reactions: Mark Quayle

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Scientists discover a mechanism for memory transfer between individuals in C. elegans:

.. with behavioural changes resulting in the worms 'consuming' those memories .. and also in up to four generations of their offspring:
Maybe we'll have to reconsider that cannibalism thing again(?) :eek:
;)
The conclusion:

My sister and I just talked about this today. She said one of her mentally challenged patients said
"It smells like Elly" When asked he repeated it twice, my sister not understanding.
He is from the big city and he was saying it smelled like an alleyway near his house.
Where people urinated evidently. It's really no different from this worm story.
Some neighborhoods and people stink and you could become aware of the neighborhood
from the people or the alley itself.

And the "Memory" reference is all hoax. Clickbait. Who would pay for "Stink" research? But memory research? WOW!

• Haha
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,329.00
Faith
Atheist
I heard an interesting podcast not so long ago, where a researcher was describing a memory mechanism that involved structural changes to proteins in the cell membrane of very simple creatures.

We know there are different memory mechanisms within the vertebrate brain; it would not be surprising to me if there were other lower-level (e.g. cellular) mechanisms, particularly in creatures with simple nervous systems or none at all.

Upvote 0

SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟176,444.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
I heard an interesting podcast not so long ago, where a researcher was describing a memory mechanism that involved structural changes to proteins in the cell membrane of very simple creatures.

We know there are different memory mechanisms within the vertebrate brain; it would not be surprising to me if there were other lower-level (e.g. cellular) mechanisms, particularly in creatures with simple nervous systems or none at all.
Self-similarity at many scales .. not really so surprising amidst Complexity, eh?

Upvote 0

tas8831

May 5, 2017
Northeast
✟101,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
The title of this thread is quite misleading. The memory transfer has been know at least since when I was in college in the 70's.

This recent discovery is figuring out just how it happens.
I remember reading something about the brains of rats trained to run a maze being fed to other rats that had never seen the maze, and the brain-fed rats were able to run the maze first try. Don't recall the source, whether it was legitimate or not - does that sound similar to what you're familiar with?

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,329.00
Faith
Atheist
Self-similarity at many scales .. not really so surprising amidst Complexity, eh?
Abstract functional self-similarity... Memory is an extremely useful tool - it's a feature of all known living creatures in as much as they're homeostatic and habituate their responses to stimuli. Evolution often implements advantageous traits in multiple ways.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟320,844.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I remember reading something about the brains of rats trained to run a maze being fed to other rats that had never seen the maze, and the brain-fed rats were able to run the maze first try. Don't recall the source, whether it was legitimate or not - does that sound similar to what you're familiar with?

It sounds familiar. I think the version you gave is exagerated. E.g. that fed rats did better than others not fed brains, not instant perfection.

• Agree
Reactions: tas8831
Upvote 0

tas8831

May 5, 2017
Northeast
✟101,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
It sounds familiar. I think the version you gave is exagerated. E.g. that fed rats did better than others not fed brains, not instant perfection.
Right, I had considered re-writing my post to make that part of it but I figured... eh.. its the internet.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums