Discovery Bible Study 1 (Genesis 1:1-25)

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
does everyone agree with this that God created both darkness and light? I know this sounds very philosophical but let's put that aside for a moment and first establish the framework of God based on what the text tells us.

We know God explicitly says "let there be light" but does the text show us he is also the creator of darkness? When is darkness first mentioned and how does God interact with or change it? What does he call the light and does he call the darkness the same? Do we think the text shows us light and darkness could be representative of something else and if so what parts are of God... does the text even show us?
Why don't we should focus exclusively on Genesis 1:1-5 (day 1 or Sunday in the Biblical week). It's interesting that @dlamberth sees a connection between the light created on day 1, and Sunday is also the day that Jesus was resurrected in the gospels.

It seems we should start by defining some of the various things mentioned?
- "the beginning" (of this phase of creation or the beginning of the universe?)
- "God" (should we assume a monotheistic benevolent god?)
- "the heavens" (why is this plural?)
- "the earth"
- "darkness"
- "the deep"
- "the waters" (not necessarily the same thing as "the deep")
- "light"
- "good"

Last edited:
Reactions: ananda
Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
There is an even more basic question. For this Bible study we are supposed to ignore context and commentaries and focus on the text as though it is divinely inspired. However are we supposed to assume that the text is describing historical events in the physical world? Jesus spoke in parables, so can we allow for the possibility that God inspired the author to write something other than a history of the physical world?

Reactions: ananda
Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟626,034.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
Re-read the passage. What is created or "spoken" into being? light, darkness or both? Does this tell us anything about God or give insight into the purpose of the "let there be light" event... or maybe it doesn't.

Does anyone else have thoughts on this?

Well, it common to say, "I don,t get it, I,m in the dark."
or,
"nobody told me, I have been left in the dark."

and so on,

in the pitch of the night or the middle of the day we can be enlightened.

Thinking here, "Let there be understanding."
or,
"Let there be an awakening."

Of course there has to be something to wake up and something to gain understanding.

But, there was nothing, not yet at anyrate.

I have taken it for granted that it was thoughts.

The socalled, "first creation".

Mind you, you notice that in the continueing verses it is not "God" but the Lord God,

Lord of hosts, heavenly hosts.

Infinite wisdom.

But we were supposed to stick with a certain number of verses, bit like watching the first five minutes of a film and then telling others about the director.

Reactions: cloudyday2
Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
or,

and so on,

or,

Of course there has to be something to wake up and something to gain understanding.

Mind you, you notice that in the continueing verses it is not "God" but the Lord God,

Infinite wisdom.

But we were supposed to stick with a certain number of verses, bit like watching the first five minutes of a film and then telling others about the director.
Maybe it is like an artist staring at a blank canvas for a long time and then suddenly - "eureka" - a light bulb turns-on in the artist's mind and the process of painting can finally begin.

Or maybe a sculptor is a better analogy than a painter. One sculptor (was it Michelangelo?) claimed that creating a sculpture required the artist to first discover the artwork concealed inside the stone and then it became a simple matter of removing the excess to uncover what was already there. This sounds like dividing the light from the darkness.

Last edited:
Reactions: Robban
Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
or,

and so on,

or,

Infinite wisdom.

great to hear a perspective from Judaism. thanks for your thoughts and welcome to the group, I see some have already begun to comment on it. I encourage you to read over the study and answer the questions in post #2, it would be great to hear some of your other thoughts about the rest of the passage.

I'll post a new study on friday so if you wait it out you may find you're able to add more input as we go along.

Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟626,034.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
Study 1
Creation: God creates the world
Genesis 1:1-25 ESV

Step 1: Read the story
Read or listen to the following passage

The Creation of the World
1:1 In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth. 2 The earth was without form and void, and darkness was over the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters.

3 And God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light. 4 And God saw that the light was good. And God separated the light from the darkness. 5 God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And there was evening and there was morning, the first day.

6 And God said, “Let there be an expanse in the midst of the waters, and let it separate the waters from the waters.” 7 And God made the expanse and separated the waters that were under the expanse from the waters that were above the expanse. And it was so. 8 And God called the expanse Heaven. And there was evening and there was morning, the second day.

9 And God said, “Let the waters under the heavens be gathered together into one place, and let the dry land appear.” And it was so. 10 God called the dry land Earth, and the waters that were gathered together he called Seas. And God saw that it was good.

11 And God said, “Let the earth sprout vegetation, plants yielding seed, and fruit trees bearing fruit in which is their seed, each according to its kind, on the earth.” And it was so. 12 The earth brought forth vegetation, plants yielding seed according to their own kinds, and trees bearing fruit in which is their seed, each according to its kind. And God saw that it was good. 13 And there was evening and there was morning, the third day.

14 And God said, “Let there be lights in the expanse of the heavens to separate the day from the night. And let them be for signs and for seasons, and for days and years, 15 and let them be lights in the expanse of the heavens to give light upon the earth.” And it was so. 16 And God made the two great lights—the greater light to rule the day and the lesser light to rule the night—and the stars. 17 And God set them in the expanse of the heavens to give light on the earth, 18 to rule over the day and over the night, and to separate the light from the darkness. And God saw that it was good. 19 And there was evening and there was morning, the fourth day.

20 And God said, “Let the waters swarm with swarms of living creatures, and let birds fly above the earth across the expanse of the heavens.” 21 So God created the great sea creatures and every living creature that moves, with which the waters swarm, according to their kinds, and every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good. 22 And God blessed them, saying, “Be fruitful and multiply and fill the waters in the seas, and let birds multiply on the earth.” 23 And there was evening and there was morning, the fifth day.

24 And God said, “Let the earth bring forth living creatures according to their kinds—livestock and creeping things and beasts of the earth according to their kinds.” And it was so. 25 And God made the beasts of the earth according to their kinds and the livestock according to their kinds, and everything that creeps on the ground according to its kind. And God saw that it was good.​

Step 2: Retell the Story
Take a few moments to retell the story in your own words. You may want to speak it out loud, or write it down. If you find you are struggling to remember it, read or listen to it again.

Step 3: Discover the Story
When you feel that you are familiar with the story, take some time to think over or discuss the following questions

The Questions: (what you answer)
  1. What does this story tell me about God?
  2. What does this story tell me about people?
  3. If this is really God's word, what changes would I have to make in my life?
  4. Who am I going to tell?
(the last question doesn't have to be answered in a post and may be left for personal action) . ideally, quote the questions and answer them in your post, then allow discussion of these answers and how they relate to the passage.

Question 1,
What does this story tell me about God?

Well, there is a force, a power of goodness and kindness,
Question 2,
What does this story tell me about people?

Though not mentioned as such, so far,
Could be the table has to be laid first,
before the guests arrive.

Question 3,
What changes.........?

It is best to follow the instructions.

Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Question 1,
What does this story tell me about God?

Well, there is a force, a power of goodness and kindness,
I can see God as a power of goodness, because God says "let there be light" and God labels light as "good", but it seems that kindness is going too far at this stage IMO. Kindness probably implies helping a creature in need, and I don't see God doing that yet unless I am missing it.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟626,034.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
I can see God as a power of goodness, because God says "let there be light" and God labels light as "good", but it seems that kindness is going too far at this stage IMO. Kindness probably implies helping a creature in need, and I don't see God doing that yet unless I am missing it.

Will say I find this exercise too difficult unless one is a newcomer into this world, and has not experienced anything yet.

Afterall, we all have our story.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟626,034.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
Will say I find this exercise too difficult unless one is a newcomer into this world, and has not experienced anything yet.

Afterall, we all have our story.

Though one can do a good deed but it does not have to be out of goodness, it may even be a "What,s in it for me?"

Which is why I stick with "Goodness and kindness" line.

They go hand in hand, would say,

In the NT it tells of an unrighteous judge, he did not care about God or people, but a widow came to him and demanded her right,

and she kept on and on and on, so in the end the unrighteous judge gave her, saying, "If I do not give her what she wants she will drive me crazy."

Hardly goodness and kindness.

Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Though one can do a good deed but it does not have to be out of goodness, it may even be a "What,s in it for me?"

Which is why I stick with "Goodness and kindness" line.

They go hand in hand, would say,

In the NT it tells of an unrighteous judge, he did not care about God or people, but a widow came to him and demanded her right,

and she kept on and on and on, so in the end the unrighteous judge gave her, saying, "If I do not give her what she wants she will drive me crazy."

Hardly goodness and kindness.

(I deleted my original post, because it wasn't on-topic.)

I guess if the light that God created was a good thing that would eventually benefit created beings then it would be an act of kindness too.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dlamberth

Senior Contributor
Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟723,684.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others
Re-read the passage. What is created or "spoken" into being? light, darkness or both? Does this tell us anything about God or give insight into the purpose of the "let there be light" event... or maybe it doesn't.

Does anyone else have thoughts on this?
I'm chucking a little because I know I'm the odd person here. But here goes. We're talking about very spiritual stuff here that I think loses a lot of depth of Wisdom when taken literally.

In Genesis, God said "Let there be Light". Scripture does not say "Let there be Darkness". But in the very act of turning on any Light, there are shadows created. We don't see the shadows until there is also the Light. Sitting in the Light of God there is daylight of Wisdom, Understanding, Truth, Life, Creation and I'd say even Unity with God for some. But when sitting in the darkness/night, it's a different world. All of that fades away. A Duality is created simply by turning on the Light. This Duality of the Light of God and the Darkness than became inherent within the Creation process with a kind of spiritual day and night being experienced.

I apologize that I may be slow to respond, I'm in a week long Spiritual retreat and interestingly have been sidetrack during the retreat contemplating the wonderful question that DamianWars2 asked. Maybe getting this out there will release me to from this contemplation, which I haven't mind really.

Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟626,034.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
(I deleted my original post, because it wasn't on-topic.)

What this light is I feel is out of my reach,

So I run with "understanding"

What use is it to know?

For example,
Chabad is the acronym for,
Chochmah/wisdom, Binah/understanding, Daat/knowledge.

Wisdom to be of any use must be understood,
once understood becomes knowledge,

However this knowledge must be applied, set in action otherwise it is worthless, just hanging in the air.

Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Chabad is the acronym for,
Chochmah/wisdom, Binah/understanding, Daat/knowledge.

Wisdom to be of any use must be understood,
once understood becomes knowledge,

However this knowledge must be applied, set in action otherwise it is worthless, just hanging in the air.
The use of the word "chochmah" above sounds different from "wisdom". I normally understand "wisdom" to be the ability to make choices that are more likely to yield the desired result (especially when past experience informs the choice), but that doesn't sound like how you are using the word.

Also it is difficult for me to make a distinction between "understanding" and "knowledge" ("binah" and "daat"). Is "understanding" the process of understanding an experience, and is "knowledge" the final form of that understanding?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟626,034.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
The use of the word "chochmah" above sounds different from "wisdom". I normally understand "wisdom" to be the ability to make choices that are more likely to yield the desired result (especially when past experience informs the choice), but that doesn't sound like how you are using the word.

Also it is difficult for me to make a distinction between "understanding" and "knowledge" ("binah" and "daat"). Is "understanding" the process of understanding an experience, and is "knowledge" the final form of that understanding?

Conceptual wisdom, If I try to plane a piece of wood against the grain, I would rip up the wood, the concept
ok, why?
Why would I rip up the wood by trying to plane against
the grain,
It is abstract until I understand, why.

Then it becomes knowledge.

Understanding an experience?

I do not believe in coincidence or that things just happen,
but that does not mean I will ever be able to know why
they happen, at least not at the time and maybe not until long after, if at all.

Which is good,

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I do not believe in coincidence or that things just happen,
but that does not mean I will ever be able to know why
they happen, at least not at the time and maybe not until long after, if at all.

Which is good,

That comment got me thinking about the Creation story in Genesis 1. If nothing happens by coincidence what is implied about God's process of Creation? We humans feel like we are making choices of our own freewill. Scientists also cannot predict the behavior of the physical world beyond certain generalities (at least that is how I understand quantum mechanics).
(1) Does God know the choices humans feel they are making of their own freewill, and does God know the behavior of the physical world so that God knows how the quantum dice will land beforehand? In that case, God knows the entire story of the created universe from beginning to end in full detail. God did not merely create the beginning of the story - he created the entire story and every seemingly inconsequential twist and turn. ... So maybe Genesis 1 is describing the ENTIRE story of the universe rather than simply the beginning? Maybe we are living in day 2 rather than after day 7?
(2) If God doesn't know the choices of the universe beforehand, then maybe God must REACT to the universe to keep the story flowing according to his purpose. In that case God went back to work after resting on day 7, and he is creating purpose in response to our purposeless blundering.

Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Last edited:
Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
just an update, Study 2 has started. feel free to continue to discuss here, if you've concluded this study don't forget about the 4th question "Who am I going to tell?". You can get a group of people together and do this exact study with them. Just follow the questions and stick to the text and see what great things you can discover from these passages. It's really simple to do and you don't have to subscribe to any faith to be a part of it so all are welcome.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟626,034.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
@Robban , here is a link to Tolkien's story of creation
https://lentenlordoftherings.files.wordpress.com/2015/01/tolkien-ainulindale.pdf

I like the following quote:
"no theme may be played that hath not its uttermost source in me, nor can any alter the music in my despite. For he that attempteth this shall prove but mine instrument in the devising of things more wonderful, which he himself hath not imagined."

Will have to take a read later,
started reading but not long ago woken up,

so will have to get my bearings,new day, new adventures and so on.

Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟626,034.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
Will have to take a read later,
started reading but not long ago woken up,

so will have to get my bearings,new day, new adventures and so on.

Well, read it, pretty heavy stuff, got lost a few times,
but it was a lot in one go.

Upvote 0