✟311,347.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Discipleship, romance and redemption
I have casually linked to romance and redemption because of the story of Ruth and Boaz
The law
Leviticus 25:25
“ ‘If one of your fellow Israelites becomes poor and sells some of their property, their nearest relative is to come and redeem what they have sold.​
Ruth ( a Moabite listed in Jesus' geneology) is redeemed by Boaz

The redemption
Ruth 3:3–4
Wash,put on perfume,and get dressed in your best clothes.Then go down to the threshing floor, but don’t let him know you are there until he has finished eating and drinking. When he lies down, note the place where he is lying. Then go and uncover his feet and lie down. He will tell you what to do.”​

Redemption unto God's people
Ezekiel 16:8
‘Later I passed by, and when I looked at you and saw that you were old enough for love, I spread the corner of my garment over you and covered your naked body. I gave you my solemn oath and entered into a covenant with you, declares the Sovereign Lord, and you became mine.​

And unto us in Christ
1 Peter 1:18–19
For you know that it was not with perishable things such as silver or gold that you were redeemed from the empty way of life handed down to you from your ancestors, but with the precious blood of Christ, a lamb without blemish or defect.​

From there we see our redemption and from the angels how heaven refers to us His followers
Mark 16:7
But go, tell his disciples and Peter, ‘He is going ahead of you into Galilee. There you will see him, just as he told you.’​

But mostly I can see the discipleship in that of sitting at His feet and learning of Him. Disciples are those who gather 'round His feet, are trained by Him, His cover over them. To them He is the life-force of learning-obeying-and renewing.
John 8:31
To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, “If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples.​

Remarkably the word disciples is not found in all of the epistles, just in the gospels. That's because Christians are being addressed corporately , as saints or separated ones in the epistles. The subject has moved from disciple to the corporate body.

The term disciple marks an individuals relationship, existing between Christ and the single soul of each of His followers, marking our everyday existence with Him. It's the ideal of our true relationship with Him. That of Him peering over us as His pupil imparting knowledge precept upon precept, step by step, working toward a definite end. In the desires of our heart we are desiring the same end as the Master.

The analogy of discipleship vs corporate would be similar to Song of Songs with the bride and king relationship in contrast to that of God and the nation of Israel.

G3101 ~ disciple, occurs 268 times in 252 verses in the Greek concordance of the KJV
Yet 'disciples' is not found at all in the epistles. Christians in the epistles are addressed corporately as saints or separated ones.

The term disciple marks an individual's relationship existing between Christ and the single soul of each of His followers, marking our everyday existence with Him as our true relationship with Him. It gives the picture of Him peering over us as His pupil and imparting knowledge into us, precept upon precept, step by step, working toward a definite end. A disciple is one who sits at His feet and learns from Him. In the desires of the heart the disciple is desiring the same as the Master. To them He is the life-force of learning-obeying-and renewing. Disciples are those who gather 'round His feet, are trained by Him, His cover over them.

Jesus said that all the law and the prophets are summed up in "loving God with all our hearts, all our strength and all our will" as well as loving neighbor as ourselves. Forsaking all to follow Him is akin to the idea of loving God first and foremost as the only qualifier for discipleship. Luke 14:26, Luke 18:29 something that is impossible without God's help of turning from all other idols to turn toward God. Those who follow after riches in life may now have all the rewards they are ever going to get. But those who forsake all to follow Him will sit with Him to judge in the coming age. Luke 22:30, Matthew 19:27-28

Discipleship rather than corporate belonging is that which is of a highest quality to press toward daily. ONLY His disciples are addressed in positives ways in the letters to the churches in Revelation 2-Revelation 3

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The term disciple marks an individuals relationship, existing between Christ and the single soul of each of His followers, marking our everyday existence with Him. It's the ideal of our true relationship with Him.

Beautiful post! I especially liked this part.

Upvote 0

Sojourner1

Following my Shepherd
Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2004
California
✟498,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The term disciple marks an individual's relationship existing between Christ and the single soul of each of His followers, marking our everyday existence with Him as our true relationship with Him. It gives the picture of Him peering over us as His pupil and imparting knowledge into us, precept upon precept, step by step, working toward a definite end. A disciple is one who sits at His feet and learns from Him. In the desires of the heart the disciple is desiring the same as the Master. To them He is the life-force of learning-obeying-and renewing. Disciples are those who gather 'round His feet, are trained by Him, His cover over them.

This is my favorite part of your post. I can picture this so clearly in my mind.

• Prayers
Reactions: Gabriel Anton
Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟311,347.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Beautiful post! I especially liked this part.
The term disciple marks an individuals relationship, existing between Christ and the single soul of each of His followers, marking our everyday existence with Him. It's the ideal of our true relationship with Him.
I was very surprised when I came across the information about disciple as a term of the gospels but no where else... It shed a whole new light on it for me!

Upvote 0

Bluerose31

Christian Flower
Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2017
US
✟419,338.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Discipleship, romance and redemption
I have casually linked to romance and redemption because of the story of Ruth and Boaz
The law
Leviticus 25:25
“ ‘If one of your fellow Israelites becomes poor and sells some of their property, their nearest relative is to come and redeem what they have sold.​
Ruth ( a Moabite listed in Jesus' geneology) is redeemed by Boaz

The redemption
Ruth 3:3–4
Wash,put on perfume,and get dressed in your best clothes.Then go down to the threshing floor, but don’t let him know you are there until he has finished eating and drinking. When he lies down, note the place where he is lying. Then go and uncover his feet and lie down. He will tell you what to do.”​

Redemption unto God's people
Ezekiel 16:8
‘Later I passed by, and when I looked at you and saw that you were old enough for love, I spread the corner of my garment over you and covered your naked body. I gave you my solemn oath and entered into a covenant with you, declares the Sovereign Lord, and you became mine.​

And unto us in Christ
1 Peter 1:18–19
For you know that it was not with perishable things such as silver or gold that you were redeemed from the empty way of life handed down to you from your ancestors, but with the precious blood of Christ, a lamb without blemish or defect.​

From there we see our redemption and from the angels how heaven refers to us His followers
Mark 16:7
But go, tell his disciples and Peter, ‘He is going ahead of you into Galilee. There you will see him, just as he told you.’​

But mostly I can see the discipleship in that of sitting at His feet and learning of Him. Disciples are those who gather 'round His feet, are trained by Him, His cover over them. To them He is the life-force of learning-obeying-and renewing.
John 8:31
To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, “If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples.​

Remarkably the word disciples is not found in all of the epistles, just in the gospels. That's because Christians are being addressed corporately , as saints or separated ones in the epistles. The subject has moved from disciple to the corporate body.

The term disciple marks an individuals relationship, existing between Christ and the single soul of each of His followers, marking our everyday existence with Him. It's the ideal of our true relationship with Him. That of Him peering over us as His pupil imparting knowledge precept upon precept, step by step, working toward a definite end. In the desires of our heart we are desiring the same end as the Master.

The analogy of discipleship vs corporate would be similar to Song of Songs with the bride and king relationship in contrast to that of God and the nation of Israel.

G3101 ~ disciple, occurs 268 times in 252 verses in the Greek concordance of the KJV
Yet 'disciples' is not found at all in the epistles. Christians in the epistles are addressed corporately as saints or separated ones.

Jesus said that all the law and the prophets are summed up in "loving God with all our hearts, all our strength and all our will" as well as loving neighbor as ourselves. Forsaking all to follow Him is akin to the idea of loving God first and foremost as the only qualifier for discipleship. Luke 14:26, Luke 18:29 something that is impossible without God's help of turning from all other idols to turn toward God. Those who follow after riches in life may now have all the rewards they are ever going to get. But those who forsake all to follow Him will sit with Him to judge in the coming age. Luke 22:30, Matthew 19:27-28

Discipleship rather than corporate belonging is that which is of a highest quality to press toward daily. ONLY His disciples are addressed in positives ways in the letters to the churches in Revelation 2-Revelation 3

Beautiful Bible quotes. Thank you for sharing. :)

• Prayers
Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟311,347.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This is my favorite part of your post. I can picture this so clearly in my mind.
Mine too. It makes me think of Mary and how Jesus commended her for doing that which is right. Beautiful picture of His care.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟311,347.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Looking at the relationship as it progresses thru the bible is quite amazing too. Redemption there is equated with kinsman redeemer and says a lot about why Jesus needed, according to law, to become one of mankind to serve as the one who could be a flesh and blood relative as Boaz was to Naomi, Ruth's mil.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

GandalfTheWise

In search of lost causes and hopeless battles
May 27, 2012
Wisconsin
✟71,403.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well said. In western culture, education is largely a mass-production assembly line of specialized topics. Perhaps we've all too often let our experience in schools affect our understanding of discipleship We've largely lost sight of the intimate relationship with a single teacher/rabbi/mentor who we learn an entire philosophy of life from.

I'd note too that this special disciple relationship clearly carries on into the church age even to those who did not know Jesus personally. The book of Acts refers to some believers (who probably never even saw Jesus in person) as disciples.

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟311,347.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Well said. In western culture, education is largely a mass-production assembly line of specialized topics. Perhaps we've all too often let our experience in schools affect our understanding of discipleship We've largely lost sight of the intimate relationship with a single teacher/rabbi/mentor who we learn an entire philosophy of life from.

I'd note too that this special disciple relationship clearly carries on into the church age even to those who did not know Jesus personally. The book of Acts refers to some believers (who probably never even saw Jesus in person) as disciples.
Teachings of Jesus are basic to Christianity but not to philosophy I would think. I haven't read much about Him that others would dispute about have you? The new forum is for an assembly line of specialized topics that is Jesus specific. I agree that the book of acts is commonly referred to as the acts of the disciples. Thanks for spending the time to read. I hope it was edifying for you.

• Prayers
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums