United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
SeekerOfChrist,

If you're looking for a church denomination that doesn't rely on 'hellfire and brimstone' teaching, and that offers some modest allowance as to how we each individually interpret the Bible for ourselves, then probably the 'Disciples of Christ' branch of the Restorationist type churches will be fine for you.

Personally, I prefer the conservative Christian Church/Church of Christ (instrumental)... but, that's me. :yawn: And I'll probably never be a part of the Church of Christ (non-instrumental) since they are sometimes too strict and doctrinaire in their interpretive capacities.

Best Wishes,
2PhiloVoid

I've been trying to find an instrumental CoC in my area, but no such luck. :(

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Get my point, Web-Maker ???
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,131,176.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Sometimes they're not common. Restorationist churches, in general, are not as spread out or as big across the U.S. as are, say, Methodists or Southern Baptists. It's just how it is sometimes.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,131,176.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Also, keep in mind that, generally, if you live in the Northern states of the U.S., then the Christian Church and Church of Christ (instrumental vs. non-instrumental are reversed). Don't ask me why, but it is something that a couple of my pastors once told me.

So, if you live more or less within the 'Southern' States, then you'll find:

Christian Churches (instrumental)
Church of Christ (non-instrumental)

But, if you live more or less in the 'Northern' States, then you'll find:

Christian Churches (non-instrumental)
Church of Christ (instrumental)

So, the Christian Church and Church of Christ (instrumental) are basically the same thing but you'll find one in the North and one in the South. Weird, I know. ;)

Upvote 0

A3M0N

Aug 3, 2014
Alvin, TX
Visit site
✟14,944.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you're looking for a church denomination that doesn't rely on 'hellfire and brimstone' teaching...

First everyone Church of Christ is "ultra-conservative", now if we're not Disciples of Christ we rely on "hellfire and brimstone"? Come on dude, that is not the way it is. I understand that you may have had some experiences with that kind of preacher/congregation, but we have to teach on unpopular topics sometimes, we can't always preach happiness and rainbows.

Personally, I prefer the conservative Christian Church/Church of Christ (instrumental)... but, that's me. :yawn: And I'll probably never be a part of the Church of Christ (non-instrumental) since they are sometimes too strict and doctrinaire in their interpretive capacities.

Too strict? In what specifically?

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,131,176.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
First everyone Church of Christ is "ultra-conservative", now if we're not Disciples of Christ we rely on "hellfire and brimstone"? Come on dude, that is not the way it is. I understand that you may have had some experiences with that kind of preacher/congregation, but we have to teach on unpopular topics sometimes, we can't always preach happiness and rainbows.

Too strict? In what specifically?

In the statements I made in my previous post, there's a little word in there that is easy to miss. And that word is "sometimes." ;)

I'm not attempting to fault Churches of Christ/Christian Churches/"non-instrumental" straight across the board. I imagine there are some good ones. But, there are a few non-instrumental churches out there that teach that unless you're in their specific 'branch,' you're not under God's fullest blessing, or something similar, which I think is a bunch of "hooey." :rolleyes: And this isn't to say that occasionally there aren't individuals in the 'instrumental' churches who also tend to ruin it for everyone else, too. So, it isn't preaching on Hell or destruction that bothers me. :cool: Rather, it's a church that fails to claim that "we are Christians only, but we aren't the only Christians."

Peace,
2PhiloVoid

Upvote 0

Thedictator

Retired Coach, Now Missionary to the World
Mar 21, 2010
Northeast Texas
✟50,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I was a member of the DOC as a child into my college years I left officially in 1987. When they changed there statement of faith from "Christ is the only to heaven" to "Christ is one of the ways to heaven". They are very Liberal, one of the ministers there where I was did not believe in God or the Bible but liked the social work of the church and had a social and political agenda.

Upvote 0

Leboman

Working It Out
Feb 22, 2017
Pennsylvania
✟10,097.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I was a member of the DOC as a child into my college years I left officially in 1987. When they changed there statement of faith from "Christ is the only to heaven" to "Christ is one of the ways to heaven". They are very Liberal, one of the ministers there where I was did not believe in God or the Bible but liked the social work of the church and had a social and political agenda.

Could you provide a link to that because I have never seen or heard it.

Upvote 0