Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Does anyone here go to a Disciples of Christ church? I only ever seen conversations about the acapella Church of Christ congregations. I've been wanting to visit a DOC church and I'm interested in hearing about why you go to one.

2PhiloVoid

Get my point, Web-Maker ???
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,131,176.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Does anyone here go to a Disciples of Christ church? I only ever seen conversations about the acapella Church of Christ congregations. I've been wanting to visit a DOC church and I'm interested in hearing about why you go to one.

I don't, but I do affiliate with the "middle" church of the Restoration Movement, i.e. The Christian Church. So, you have three to choose from, not two. ;)

Ultra-Conservative: Church of Christ (non-instrumental)
Evangelical: The Christian Church (instrumental)
Moderate/Liberal (leaning): The Disciples of Christ

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,131,176.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I preach in an independent Church of Christ that left the DOC back in the early 1970s. We would fall into that middle category.

Hello Leboman,

Are you Church of Christ/Instrumental, then? I forget sometimes that the instrumental/non-instrumental affiliation in Restorationist churches can vary, depending on whether one is in the North versus the South in the U.S (and Canada).

Peace,
2PhiloVoid

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,131,176.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Not all Churches of Christ are "ultra-conservative", unless you're defining it solely based on use of musical instruments in worship. Then yes, most Churches of Christ do not use instruments, but wouldn't label them all as ultra-conservative.

True, enough, A3M0N. I'm sure they're not. But, when one of my former pastors, who used to be a Church of Christ pastor, crossed a line of doctrinal inquiry, he got ousted--rather painfully from what I understand--from the Church of Christ/non-instrumental church he was leading.

Peace,
2PhiloVoid

Upvote 0

A3M0N

Aug 3, 2014
Alvin, TX
Visit site
✟14,944.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What was the issue in question? Was it a true, Biblical issue, or a tradition of men? I have seen the opposite happen in Churches of Christ as well. An eldership will want to steer the congregation in a "liberal" direction and fire a minister who preaches "too conservatively".

I'm sorry for derailing the thread! It was started for questions about the Disciples of Christ.

Upvote 0

Leboman

Working It Out
Feb 22, 2017
Pennsylvania
✟10,097.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hello Leboman,

Are you Church of Christ/Instrumental, then? I forget sometimes that the instrumental/non-instrumental affiliation in Restorationist churches can vary, depending on whether one is in the North versus the South in the U.S (and Canada).

Peace,
2PhiloVoid

I'm originally from eastern North Carolina where the name "Churches of Christ" was synonymous with the non-instrumentals. I have always attended the ones who do use instruments. I now preach in an independent Church of Christ that came out of the Disciples. Here in Pennsylvania, where I preach, there aren't any non-instruments CoC that I am aware of. There are still quite a few Disciples churches up here though.

• Agree
Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

Leboman

Working It Out
Feb 22, 2017
Pennsylvania
✟10,097.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
True, enough, A3M0N. I'm sure they're not. But, when one of my former pastors, who used to be a Church of Christ pastor, crossed a line of doctrinal inquiry, he got ousted--rather painfully from what I understand--from the Church of Christ/non-instrumental church he was leading.

Peace,
2PhiloVoid
Just like any group, there are congregations that fall into all camps. We're pretty conservative but I don't now about ultra-conservative. They hired me and I have tattoos.:sorry:

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,131,176.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Just like any group, there are congregations that fall into all camps. We're pretty conservative but I don't now about ultra-conservative. They hired me and I have tattoos.:sorry:

You sound like my kind of pastor, Leboman...with a guitar to boot! :cool:

Anyway, welcome to CF, brother!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi; Sir. I'm not a member of any of these groups. For myself into in believer's baptism as a symbol.
So are some ppl in your group a bit hostile to tattoos, or would this be another group that you would be referring to?
(Years ago tattoos were a military and biker thing, and a male thing, but hardly any more.)

Upvote 0

Leboman

Working It Out
Feb 22, 2017
Pennsylvania
✟10,097.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi; Sir. I'm not a member of any of these groups. For myself into in believer's baptism as a symbol.
So are some ppl in your group a bit hostile to tattoos, or would this be another group that you would be referring to?
(Years ago tattoos were a military and biker thing, and a male thing, but hardly any more.)

From my own experiences, there are people in every Christian denomination and group who are hostile towards tattoos.

I would suggest that there is a little more to immersion than just symbolism but I offer grace to those who disagree with me.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,131,176.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm originally from eastern North Carolina where the name "Churches of Christ" was synonymous with the non-instrumentals. I have always attended the ones who do use instruments. I now preach in an independent Church of Christ that came out of the Disciples. Here in Pennsylvania, where I preach, there aren't any non-instruments CoC that I am aware of. There are still quite a few Disciples churches up here though.

Yeah, in the South, Church of Christ is more often non-instrumental.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
From my own experiences, there are people in every Christian denomination and group who are hostile towards tattoos.

I would suggest that there is a little more to immersion than just symbolism but I offer grace to those who disagree with me.

True; I guess for some ppl not having ink is almost an existential thing, work that one out.

But these days it's become a sort of rite of passage thing for young ppl and I expect some young ppl from your church probably consider doing it as well.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,131,176.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I try to live out the love and grace of Jesus in all things.

That's great to here! We can't get too much of that. As for myself, I affiliate most with the Christian Church (instrumental), which I'm sure is very similar to your church, although I do take a few forays with my son to one of the local Southern Baptist Churches.

Peace.

Upvote 0

Leboman

Working It Out
Feb 22, 2017
Pennsylvania
✟10,097.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
True; I guess for some ppl not having ink is almost an existential thing, work that one out.

But these days it's become a sort of rite of passage thing for young ppl and I expect some young ppl from your church probably consider doing it as well.

I have tats. My wife has tats. Two other ladies (one is in her thirties, one in her fifties) have them.

I could see myself being a biker. If I had a bike.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I have tats. My wife has tats. Two other ladies (one is in her thirties, one in her fifties) have them.

I could see myself being a biker. If I had a bike.
Yes, well, although it used to be a man thing, it certainly isn't any more. I saw this quote from the Bible Belt, FYI:

QueenCat said:
Around here (Bible Belt), it is common, especially among evangelical Christians, for the girls under about 40 to have religious tattoos. More do than don't, especially when you get to the under 30 crowd. I hardly know any female at church that is under 30 that does not have a tattoo.

forums dot thewelltrainedmind dot com

It actually doesn't surprise me that Mrs Leboman (and other ladies from your church) wanted to have it done also. (Seems like when an 18 year does it, mom will also want to do it - or already have done it.)

Upvote 0

Leboman

Working It Out
Feb 22, 2017
Pennsylvania
✟10,097.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
My point was that none of the "young" people have them. My twenty year old son thinks they're silly as does my sixteen year old son. I have wanted tattoos since I was a very young teenager. I saw rock stars with them and I thought, "Yeah, I want those." I was actually thirty-eight before I got my first one. All of mine have personal faith meanings to me.

Upvote 0