East coast USA
✟164,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I recently discovered I have this gift. I have had traits of it my whole life, including picking up on traits of other people, places, and things that no one else picks up on. New-agers and psychics tried to tell me [before I found Christ] I was an ''empath,'' meaning I have extreme ''empathy'', I can feel everyones emotions and thoughts. Anyway, this ''gift'' has caused me severe anxiety and depression for years. When I would go to work, I would get so over-loaded being around people while everyone was just as calm as could be... I would be picking up on everyones emotions and possibly spirits around me so badly that I would panic, often leaving and running out the building. I quit several jobs because I would get so overloaded. I never understood why I would feel like this but I think it is because of discerning of spirits, is that what it is?

Does anyone with this have any advice for how to manage this? I can't ''taper down'' my sensitivity, it is part of who I am.

Has anyone experienced this? What did you do?

Last edited:

Cassidy Bennett

Child of God
Jul 5, 2017
Pittsburgh
✟17,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have this but not to the extent you are experiencing.

I "feel" the energy of people. It's really not that uncommon, it's just people don't talk about it. You've probably heard "they give me good or bad vibes." Or " you can cut the tension with a knife." These are the same ideas.

When someone is happy, their vibrations are high. When they are low, they are upset or depressed. This is why depressed people generally sleep a lot and happy people have more energy.

We also feed off each others energy. So if someone is angry, we lash out in anger, etc. Angels and God have extremely high energy, which is why we feel so good being near them.

It can be draining and exhausting sometimes for me too. If you go out and have high vibrations, people will try to pull you down, many times without even knowing it. Sometimes they don't have to say anything even. I surround myself with people who have the same vibrations. At work, generally I focus of keeping my vibrations high and save my "tough" people to deal with until the end of the day so I can escape right after.

I don't consider it something to hide from. If I'm out shopping or something I'll smile and let them feed off the energy. God and angels do for us.... and their energy is much higher than mine. So I look at it like that.

Upvote 0

Spookydawg77

Aug 15, 2017
Leitchfield
✟16,321.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I recently discovered I have this gift. I have had traits of it my whole life, including picking up on traits of other people, places, and things that no one else picks up on. New-agers and psychics tried to tell me [before I found Christ] I was an ''empath,'' meaning I have extreme ''empathy'', I can feel everyones emotions and thoughts. Anyway, this ''gift'' has caused me severe anxiety and depression for years. When I would go to work, I would get so over-loaded being around people while everyone was just as calm as could be... I would be picking up on everyones emotions and possibly spirits around me so badly that I would panic, often leaving and running out the building. I quit several jobs because I would get so overloaded. I never understood why I would feel like this but I think it is because of discerning of spirits, is that what it is?

Does anyone with this have any advice for how to manage this? I can't ''taper down'' my sensitivity, it is part of who I am.

Has anyone experienced this? What did you do?

I make peace, and create evil;
peace between God and men is made by Christ, who is God over all; spiritual peace of conscience comes from God, through Christ, by the Spirit; eternal glory and happiness is of God, which saints enter into at death; peace among the saints themselves here, and with the men of the world; peace in churches, and in the world, God is the author of, even of all prosperity of every kind, which this word includes: "evil" is also from him; not the evil of sin; this is not to be found among the creatures God made; this is of men, though suffered by the Lord, and overruled by him for good: but the evil of punishment for sin, God's sore judgments, famine, pestilence, evil beasts, and the sword, or war, which latter may more especially be intended, as it is opposed to peace; this usually is the effect of sin; may be sometimes lawfully engaged in; whether on a good or bad foundation is permitted by God; moreover, all afflictions, adversities, and calamities, come under this name, and are of God; see ( Job 2:10 ) ( Amos 3:6 )

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I find the part that you had this "gift" before coming to faith to be a bit concerning.

Have you ever spent time with anyone who has been operating in the Discerning of Spirits gift for a while to determine the source of your "gift?"

Paul tells us in 1 Cor 14.32 that the spirit of the prophet is subject to the prophets. That means you should be able to control it and turn it down or off pretty much at will. Your inability to do so says one of 2 things to me: Either you need to be discipled/trained in the proper use of this gift, or it is not actually from God.

• Agree
Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

Far Side Of the Moon

" The moon is high& the stars are aligned" :)
Mar 11, 2016
Georgia
✟30,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Yes this is the gift of discernment... I used to think my friend was an empath too but after getting saved myself and understanding the gift correctly I know its the gift of discernment.

• Informative
Reactions: WilliamBo
Upvote 0

WilliamBo

Site Supporter
Nov 2, 2016
East coast USA
✟164,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I was told I have the gift of discernment and I can usually sense what someone is about. I don't get anxiety from it however. Do you think the anxiety might be something else?

I don't know, maybe it was demons I personally had tricking me into thinking that anxiety was from somewhere else... The enemy has been feeding on me being hypersensitive like this my whole life... I never understood what was going on...

Upvote 0

WilliamBo

Site Supporter
Nov 2, 2016
East coast USA
✟164,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have this but not to the extent you are experiencing.

I "feel" the energy of people. It's really not that uncommon, it's just people don't talk about it. You've probably heard "they give me good or bad vibes." Or " you can cut the tension with a knife." These are the same ideas.

When someone is happy, their vibrations are high. When they are low, they are upset or depressed. This is why depressed people generally sleep a lot and happy people have more energy.

We also feed off each others energy. So if someone is angry, we lash out in anger, etc. Angels and God have extremely high energy, which is why we feel so good being near them.

It can be draining and exhausting sometimes for me too. If you go out and have high vibrations, people will try to pull you down, many times without even knowing it. Sometimes they don't have to say anything even. I surround myself with people who have the same vibrations. At work, generally I focus of keeping my vibrations high and save my "tough" people to deal with until the end of the day so I can escape right after.

I don't consider it something to hide from. If I'm out shopping or something I'll smile and let them feed off the energy. God and angels do for us.... and their energy is much higher than mine. So I look at it like that.

That's a great way of putting it. I'm going to put that into practice, staying around people with high vibrations and keeping the "downers" for last so i can quickly escape.

Upvote 0

angeltrue

May 6, 2016
NJ
✟27,118.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't know, maybe it was demons I personally had tricking me into thinking that anxiety was from somewhere else... The enemy has been feeding on me being hypersensitive like this my whole life... I never understood what was going on...
I had to smile when you described yourself as hypersensitive - that's exactly how I would describe myself. If you can try to listen for "the still small voice" maybe that can guide you.

Not that I always follow that. I'm going through severe medical issues and it has me on overload, but sometimes I've found if you vary your routine God can sometimes give you clarity. I am often attacked by the evil one - it seems more than most I'm unsure why. Maybe because us "hypersensitive" can pinpoint or sense the approach of the evil one more readily.

I'd be interested in hearing the experiences of others with this gift.

Upvote 0

WilliamBo

Site Supporter
Nov 2, 2016
East coast USA
✟164,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I had to smile when you described yourself as hypersensitive - that's exactly how I would describe myself. If you can try to listen for "the still small voice" maybe that can guide you.

Not that I always follow that. I'm going through severe medical issues and it has me on overload, but sometimes I've found if you vary your routine God can sometimes give you clarity. I am often attacked by the evil one - it seems more than most I'm unsure why. Maybe because us "hypersensitive" can pinpoint or sense the approach of the evil one more readily.

I'd be interested in hearing the experiences of others with this gift.

Someone told me today that having a sensitive spirit is basically being prophetic, and that the enemy heavily targets those with a sensitive spirit. I think it's a very powerful gift when used for God. I am also attacked very heavily by the enemy, and have been my whole life... because the demons saw and understood my gift before I did and have tried everything to hinder me from using it. That's probably why you are attacked so heavily... because you have a great gift that can do lots of damage to the enemy

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

angeltrue

May 6, 2016
NJ
✟27,118.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I find the part that you had this "gift" before coming to faith to be a bit concerning.

Have you ever spent time with anyone who has been operating in the Discerning of Spirits gift for a while to determine the source of your "gift?"

Paul tells us in 1 Cor 14.32 that the spirit of the prophet is subject to the prophets. That means you should be able to control it and turn it down or off pretty much at will. Your inability to do so says one of 2 things to me: Either you need to be discipled/trained in the proper use of this gift, or it is not actually from God.
That may be a good point as it can take a lot of discernment to see if the gift is actually of God. You have to exercise caution in seeking others' confirmation of this gift because satan can speak through them as well.

I've found sorting through truth from error is highly difficult - in the beginning - but as I've grown in the faith I can usually trust my judgment.

When I first sought God, I was bouncing off the wall reading and listening to many different pastors. Those that confused me the most were those saying: "Send in your seed faith today and you will be blessed..." I learned just how much trouble the church is in today because of many people claiming to be pastors who use their "status" to control and manipulate. I finally burned the literature in our wood stove and went straight at God and learned to use my own discernment.

James Dobson wrote a book called "Emotions, Can You Trust Them" which is a good book that may help you.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

angeltrue

May 6, 2016
NJ
✟27,118.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Someone told me today that having a sensitive spirit is basically being prophetic, and that the enemy heavily targets those with a sensitive spirit. I think it's a very powerful gift when used for God. I am also attacked very heavily by the enemy, and have been my whole life... because the demons saw and understood my gift before I did and have tried everything to hinder me from using it. That's probably why you are attacked so heavily... because you have a great gift that can do lots of damage to the enemy
Very funny you said that - my husband spoke those same words - he said "the enemy must be really afraid for you to use your gift."

I think it is a harder road for those of us with a sensitive spirit.

Upvote 0

WilliamBo

Site Supporter
Nov 2, 2016
East coast USA
✟164,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Very funny you said that - my husband spoke those same words - he said "the enemy must be really afraid for you to use your gift."

I think it is a harder road for those of us with a sensitive spirit.

Yes it is, but when you start really walking with God, it's a very, very beautiful road. I'm not fully walking with God yet, but I am growing... and the joy and pure bliss I feel sometimes in the spirit is incredible... much more than non-sensitive Christians. Don't let the enemy bully you for your sensitive spirit, the demons are just scared of you.

Upvote 0

angeltrue

May 6, 2016
NJ
✟27,118.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes it is, but when you start really walking with God, it's a very, very beautiful road. I'm not fully walking with God yet, but I am growing... and the joy and pure bliss I feel sometimes in the spirit is incredible... much more than non-sensitive Christians. Don't let the enemy bully you for your sensitive spirit, the demons are just scared of you.
Yes - seems like an uphill battle - but I think it's a valuable gift.

Upvote 0

WilliamBo

Site Supporter
Nov 2, 2016
East coast USA
✟164,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

angeltrue

May 6, 2016
NJ
✟27,118.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes... very, very valuable... someone with a sensitive spirit that is fully surrendered to God is a powerhouse against the kingdom of darkness. This article helped me out-

8 Signs You May Have The Spiritual Gift of Discernment

Also this one-

8 Ways To Grow Your Gift Of Discernment
That was good - thank you! I refer to the verse "...have their senses trained by reason of use." I am usually able to pick up on things with people and sense things. I do feel misunderstood at times too - so that article seemed to fit.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
! I refer to the verse "...have their senses trained by reason of use."
Ah - I recognize that from older translations. Last verse of Hebrews 5.

I would submit that EVERYONE should be operating in that particular form of discernment; and that it differs from the specific charismatic gift listed in 1 Cor 12.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I do feel misunderstood at times too
I am sure you do - especially if you actually have that gift. While all believers should (after spending time in the Word and in fellowship with the Lord and each other) start to pick up on stuff that is wrong spiritually, the charismatic gift works like the other revelatory gifts of Word of Knowledge or Word of Wisdom. (and like prophecy or interpretation of tongues) You are given a word or phrase down in your spirit that pops up in the back of your mind.

Upvote 0

angeltrue

May 6, 2016
NJ
✟27,118.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ah - I recognize that from older translations. Last verse of Hebrews 5.

I would submit that EVERYONE should be operating in that particular form of discernment; and that it differs from the specific charismatic gift listed in 1 Cor 12.
I don't usually recall the exact verse but quote from memory. I think it's something that you pick up as one grows in the faith.

Upvote 0