Disc golf disc discussion--favorites, least favorites, special scenarios, etc.

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟875,552.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This thread is intended for talk about golf discs, brands, plastics, etc.

For those who have never tried disc golf it is a great activity to get walking, hang out with friends or family, and there is plenty of nuance to challenge you over time. And unlike regular golf there is usually no fee. A wide range of ages can play.

You can get a disc for around 10 dollars which is enough to get started. But there are many different discs that have various characteristics and abilities, and experienced players often carry a bag full.

https://www.marshallstreetdiscgolf.com/flightguide

This site allows you to compare flight characteristics across brands. You can click on just the brands you want to filter as well.

Last edited:

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟875,552.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Lately I enjoy playing one disc rounds in order to understand each disc better. I have been alternating using an Innova Mako3 in the Champion plastic, and an Innova Rhyno in the DX.

Both are pretty straight flyers, with neutral stability, which is a nice change from some of the discs I learned to play with.

The Rhino in particular has plenty of control, but at the cost of no glide! It is great for playing in the wind. When it is calm I use the Mako3 for more distance.

One daughter plays with just the Innova Shark mid-range for every game, and loves it. It is in the DX plastic, and over time has gotten more beat-in and understable, which taught her to utilize hyzer flipping.

My son doesn't enjoy the one disc rounds as much. He uses an Innova Beast for most of his drives, and lately has used the overstable Westside Discs Longbowman for flex shots. He putts with a Dynamic Discs Judge which has served him well.

My other daughter likes the three disc intro set from Innova with the Aviar, Shark and Leopard. She lost the Leopard and got a heavier weight to replace the 150 for more options in the wind.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟775,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hmm, I am interested; there is a disc golf course not terribly far from my home. To be honest though, I have never been good at throwing a disc...how much practice is required to be OK at the game?

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟875,552.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hmm, I am interested; there is a disc golf course not terribly far from my home. To be honest though, I have never been good at throwing a disc...how much practice is required to be OK at the game?

There is a bit of difference between regular Frisbee throwing and disc golf. That may actually help you in this case, because if your goal is just to be OK, then most of it is thinking through the details, and getting your large muscles right in the form.

It is less about wrist manipulation, and more about aiming your body in the right way, and engaging the whole body. But there is a learning curve.

Also, some courses are much more beginner friendly than others. Some have incredibly long holes. But for beginners ones that are shorter (usually with pars around 3) are easier, and less discouraging. At first it will be hard to get distance.

Also, one of the big things to realize when throwing a disc of this sort, which is not the same as playing catch with a Frisbee, is that almost every disc will have a definite fade at the end which will curve. You need to know and account for this in your throw. And at first your disc may immediately start curving one direction. As you get better at throwing you will be able to throw straighter.

If you are right handed, and throwing with the "normal" throw (not side-arm) then your disc at the end of the flight will curve to the left. If you are left handed it will curve to the right.

If you want to get started you can get a good all-purpose disc for pretty cheap and give it a try. It would be good to watch a couple of videos on basic form and such to understand how to throw. I can dig some up if you like.

You can look up details of the course here: PDGA Disc Golf Course Directory Map

Another place to find course info and reviews: Disc Golf Course Review: View and review over 10,000 Disc Golf Courses!

It can help you to know how difficult or long the shots are in your particular area.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: tampasteve
Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟875,552.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you are a looking to get started most brands sell a starter pack with three discs (putter, mid-range and driver). These usually run about 20 dollars or so. They are helpful for understanding the different discs.

However, I think if I were starting someone out I would probably just give them one mid-range disc and have them learn what all it can do.

Here are some popular mid-ranges that you can drive, approach and put with, from common brands:

Discraft Buzzz
Innova Roc
Innova Shark

For beginners the Innova Shark works well, and comes as part of the beginner pack if you opt for that.

• Informative
Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟875,552.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Here is a video that goes over a few basics, and discusses the Innova starter pack. Innova is probably available in more places than other brands, though Discraft is also found a lot of places.

He goes over the power grip, and a standard throwing motion.

• Informative
Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟875,552.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks! I am going to look more into this sport, turns out there are quite a few courses in our metro area.

That is great! Most larger cities have a number of courses. Even some small towns you wouldn't expect may have one or more.

Try to find one without a lot of trees at first, and that is shorter.

When you first get your disc you may even want to go to a football field to practice a bit to get to know how it works. Some courses are very busy with people and you might be rushed along. Others are more sparsely populated and you can take your time learning. You may need to check a couple courses to find the one you want.

I will post some more form videos in a moment, as they help you to understand what is going on with the throw so you are not too discouraged at first.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟875,552.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks! Fortunately there is a park with a large field next to my home, so plenty of space to practice.

That will help a lot. You are well situated! I added a video to the post right before this on the basics. The others add to it.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟775,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I watched a few beginners videos this weekend, I ended up ordering the Innova beginners set off of Amazon, it should be here sometime this week. A couple buddies are also interested in giving the sport a try as well.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟775,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟875,552.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I watched a few beginners videos this weekend, I ended up ordering the Innova beginners set off of Amazon, it should be here sometime this week. A couple buddies are also interested in giving the sport a try as well.

That is fantastic. The set you ordered will work well. Our family has bought two of them, and one is still in use 16 years later!

One thing to be aware of is that over time discs get "beat in". They may fly slightly more overstable at first, then gradually they settle into a long period of consistency. Then after some time they start to become more understable. Once you have played for a while you will see what that means, but they are still very usable for different techniques. And eventually you can learn to use them to throw in such a way that they curve the opposite of your natural curve.

At first I would suggest using only the putter until you get a feel for things. It can still go a surprising distance, and all putter rounds help you see what motion will send the disc a certain way before you throw it way off mark.

Some of the pros get their putters out there quite a ways! Here is Simon, one of the longest throwing competitors, sending his putter 492 feet.

Now that is on the extreme end of things, but a lot of people with practice can throw their putter over 200.

Once you have that disc figured out then I would try the others. If you put a driver on the wrong line it may go quite some distance the wrong direction, and actually put you in a worse position than a slightly shorter, but mostly straight putter.

Then work up to the mid-range then the driver.

Another factor is wind. That set usually comes in a 150 weight. That is the lower end of weight for golf discs and is good for beginners. You get more glide that way, so that it stays aloft without as much power. You may struggle a little on really windy days. With that weight form and smoothness is far more important than power. So just focus on getting the form down and it will start to get out there further, and eventually throw straight.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟875,552.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
upload_2020-10-12_12-59-31.png

This is the expected flight path for the Aviar. At first though it may curve even faster than the dotted line. Eventually it will start to straighten out as you get better at the form.

It tails off at the low speed part of its flight. So when you make your initial tee drive remember to account for a little curve at the end. Aim a bit to the right of the basket if you are left handed.

Upvote 0

Bramblewild

Apr 16, 2019
Kentucky
✟47,634.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I play (not well).

I started using MVP discs a while ago. I like the Relay. It's a fairway driver that just a bit faster than a mid-range. Also tried the Singal, which is almost like the Relay but more understable. Have to be careful with those, or Ill end up with a roller.

Going faster, I like the Wave. If I throw it right, I can get some decent distance out of it. Decent for me, at least.

Haven't tried much else MVP has. Disc golf is fun, but I can't justify spending a lot of money on it.

Upvote 0

chilehed

Veteran
Jul 31, 2003
Michigan
✟237,116.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I started golfing long before golf discs existed, everyone used the same Wham-O 165 that we used for freestyle and ultimate. My 20,000 hours of muscle memory means I do fine using a putter for all of my shots, so although I do bring my drivers with me I seldom see any use for them.

Upvote 0