Duque de Caxias
✟12,930.00
Country
Brazil
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hi, my name is Felipe, I'm 25 years old, I live in Brazil so I'm sorry for English, I'm using the translator (I'll do an English course as soon as I have the money).

I work and study (which is very common here among the poor, who has money usually only works after college or during the stages of their course).

I do Information Systems, next year is my 4th and last year (in my city does not have the Computer Science course), as work from Monday until Saturday, it would get heavy studying outside my city, I study near my house and work too.

I am very discouraged with the college, it is not even my course specifically, because I know that all the courses have a lot of theoretical load, the point is that this theory becomes outdated in the companies, even more in my course.

I work to pay for my college, so I can not do internships, since internship salaries are less than the college's value and I do not have financial support from my parents (they do not have the financial means).

What I know of the real life of the profession is from what I search on the internet and I hear from my colleagues who do internships, they say that what we see in college is very outdated, that companies use many new technologies, especially in programming languages.

I get discouraged, because I have difficulties in some calculus and programming matters while some of my colleagues do not even study and get high grades, another thing is the great load of theoretical content, I just can't assimilate everything, I end up studying just to pass in the tests, this makes me sick to myself, sometimes I feel stupid.

Sorry for the messy text.
Thanks.

Richard T

Mar 25, 2018
traveling Asia
✟69,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I wish I could say something that would make all your frustration disappear. From a Christian perspective, we are told to cast ALL our burdens on the Lord. From a practical standpoint, college is not just about what you learn. It is also about discipline and commitment. Employers generally prefer a degree and you are so close, that it would seem a shame to stop now. In the meantime, get as much experience as you can to supplement your courses.
That some people do not have to study is their gift. Hopefully at some point they will be challenged. Many can not accomplish what you have already done, so just worry about yourself and not others. Prayers and God's grace to give you confidence and guidance in all that you do.
2 Coríntios 10:12 (VFL)
12 Nós não nos atrevemos a competir ou a nos comparar com certas pessoas que se julgam muito importantes. Elas se medem e se comparam umas com as outras e assim demonstram que não entendem o quanto são ignorantes.

Upvote 0

Dan the deacon

Jul 10, 2018
Perry
✟28,197.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hard work will cause you to prevail. Do not get discouraged. School will end and life will continue. If what you are doing was easy it would have little reward. Work hard and be persistent. It will be worth it.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What I know of the real life of the profession is from what I search on the internet and I hear from my colleagues who do internships, they say that what we see in college is very outdated, that companies use many new technologies, especially in programming languages.

To be involved in IT is to commit to constant study. There are new technologies every year.

A course in IT should be preparing you for that constant study, by showing you principles that don't change. The top 10 programming languages this year are:

MzExNjk1OA.jpeg

But all of these are based on older languages. For example, C goes back to 1972, and C++ and C# are derived from it. Java is from 1995, but draws on ideas from Smalltalk (1972).

I wish you all the very best for your study.

Upvote 0