keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,445.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I'm starting this because of a couple of post in 'Have you ever' thread.

I asked if you have ever been to a taffy pull and the reply was no and also indicated the poster was not quite sure what a taffy pull was.

In my youth they were fairly common. Now they seem entirely gone.

Taffy, as in salt water taffy of molasses taffy is made by cooking several ingredients, actually more boiling off water until the proper composition is established. But it is not done at that point. It has to be cooled to the point where it can be handled and while still warm pulled and folded over and then pulled again and again.

Finally when the texture is right so it will be chewable you pull it out into one long strand and let it col completely and cut into bite sized pieces and wrap each one up. (Excluding what gets eaten right away!).

If I remember correctly salt water taffy is just corn syrup, water, sugar and salt, until the pulling has gone on a bit and at that point flavor and color are added.

The thing is it all has to be pulled when it has cooled enough, it is not possible for one person to cook up a batch of salt water taffy and make several flavors. Actually It has to be pulled long enough that it gets tiring for one person to make one flavor. Adults and older teens can do it, some fit teens and non-ancient adults can do it without much trouble, but for the rest being able to hand off the pulling is needed.

This was once a pretty cool social event. Adults and kids working on a common project that produced some good and hard to get. Generally better quality than what is in the stores, and if you can find the extract you can get taffy in that flavor.

But this seems gone today.

This thread of for people to tell others about other kinds of events that are gone or seem to be fading.

I have not heard of a taffy pull in 30 years and the only reference to one I recall aside from nostalgia posts and articles is a not quite clean Christian Joke that involves a nervous first time preacher, some vodka in his water and this event at Saint Peters Church.

Cute Tink

Blah
Site Supporter
Nov 22, 2002
✟125,391.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
That was my response, but at least I was pretty close as to what a taffy pull was, though I honestly didn't know it was a social thing.

I guess it depends on where you live. I go to 5 or 6 social gatherings each month. In the summer and closer to the holidays I will probably go to more as events arise.

Joining up with social groups to do things is pretty easy these days if you know where to look. MeetUp has the ability to help organize events and social groups as does Facebook.

But my town has a fair number of people in it, but not so many that it's terribly overwhelming. Things might be different in other cities.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bluegreysky

Can't adult today.
Sep 11, 2006
Saint Augustine, FL
✟22,012.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have seen taffy getting pulled. I was 5 and my parents took me to a giant flea market because they thought that was would be an exciting thing to do. I remember my dad showing me this machine pulling the taffy in a rotating motion through the glass on what was probably some sort of food-truck I don't know. Then he bought me some little pieces. So that was the early 1990's... I don't know if I saw another one since.

No one has suggested I should go with them to the roller rink since 2001 when I was in 8th grade.

Minigolf and bowling are still novelties but I don't hear about it nearly as much now.

I think when people think of "activities" other than bars or clubs they think "new high-speed go-karts" or "IMAX big screen movies"

I used to see carnivals come to town as church fundraisers every year. I don't see them much anymore. I think they were a liability.

When I was still about 5 so still the early 90's, this family fun center place in town built a huge indoor playground. it probably isn't REALLY that big it just felt big to a little kid. It had giant plastic tunnels, punching bags, ball pits, stuff that was hard to balance on, corkscrew slides..... I LOVED it but I always got sick. germs were in abundance. I think that it's still there to this day, but I think that the big attraction in town is now this huge state-of-the-art OUTDOOR playground with balance beams that move and ziplines and fake rock walls and the works. nobody get's sick there.

In Daytona beach, which is nearby, they had an arcade called "Joyland". it has a creepy story behind it- in the 80's it was owned by a greek couple and the husband also owned the bar next door (not there anymore). the husband wanted to be with his exotic dancer he had working at the bar so he arranged for his wife to be shot in a fake "robbery". it failed and she lived but the "robber" died. she divorced him.
well, Joyland is still there. huge in the 80's and 90's. now not so popular. skeeball and pinball have given way to modern technology and the little waterpark across the street.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,445.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I feel like some outdoor games that I often played as a kid are disappearing, when looking at kids today. I'm not even sure they've ever played boccia or croquet for example.

Do people play Horseshoes any more?

Just realized I have not seen this in years, but also remembered it was mainly a camp thing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rhovanion

Queen of Pentacles
Jul 29, 2009
Wild North
✟15,662.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Do people play Horseshoes any more?

Just realized I have not seen this in years, but also remembered it was mainly a camp thing.
I think horseshoes tossing is disappearing as well. And other similar games like it.

What about marbles? Do kids play with those anymore? This was still a big thing when I was a kid.

Upvote 0

bluegreysky

Can't adult today.
Sep 11, 2006
Saint Augustine, FL
✟22,012.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Supersoakers are gone... In the 1990's I got one as a birthday present so me and the neighbor kids could have water fights in the back yard. Then they got a bigger one that held moer water and blasted farther, so I asked for one and got it for another holiday and then they got a second one that could shoot water in a pulse kind of way so I saved up money and bought more of them... I had like 5 I think. then they stopped selling them. I remember the commercials too, the kids running around blasting each other in slow motion... inside the house.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,445.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Why do they call it, salt water taffy, if it does not contain salt water?

I cannot think, of any social event, I used to participate in, that has disappeared. I'll think about it some more.

It does contain salt and water. And that besides sugar and/or corn syrup is all there is besides flavoring, which of course is different for each flavor.

Thinking about it the salt water name may be because that is all there is besides sugar, e.g. no butter which is in some forms of taffy.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,445.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
yes I do too

square dances

Has anyone here been to Yosemite lately.

Perhaps not a fair test but when I was in my 20s there was a weekly square dance at the main visitor center in the valley.

I say not a fair test because well before then there was a trend started, they were doing less and less ot attract visitors to an already over crowded park. When I was in my pre-teens the Firefall still happened.

The area where the fire fell from on Glacier point should still exist.

Upvote 0