Dionosaurs vs. The Bible

Hey everyone!!! This is my first post so hopefully I make sense. Ok, my question has to do with dinosaurs. I have really thought about this one and have not come to a answer. I am a Christian but I belive the world is billions of years old and that dinosaurs lived here at one time. Now I am not sure how.I hate to contridicte the Bible but a lot of what it says along the lines of creation and such relly don't work with what I have been taught. :scratch: So not to make blasphmy but I think the Bible might be wrong.Keep in mind I am Christian and I am just looking for some gudiance in my problem. And tell me if these kinds of questions or thoughts make me any less Christian? :help:
:pray: God Bless,
Tara

Catchup

Feb 20, 2002
Earth bound
Visit site
✟2,012.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Welcome Delia!

We have a special board of this forum to place questions of this nature...

Science,Creation,and Evolution

But I can answer this one myself. It only requires that you read and understand the first two verses of your bible. :)

Genesis 1
1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.

2 Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters.

Notice that between the two verses, the words... beginning and now ...show a time gap. How long and what could have occurred? We do not know by reading our Bibles.

There are no flaws in your Bible! ... The problem lies in human understanding.

Hope this helped. Look forward to seeing you on the boards.

:) LOVE

Upvote 0

elephanticity

This appears beneath your name.
Mar 30, 2002
Visit site
✟8,527.00
There is a web site on Talk Origins that discusses religion and evolution issues. I'm not sure if we're allowed to post that link here, but if you're interested i could e-mail it to you. The only problem with the bible is that certain parts cannot be taken literally.

This does not have a huge impact on faith. Jesus spoke in parables, it is not unreasonable to figure that large parts of God's Living Word are not meant as literal fact reporting.

Upvote 0

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Originally posted by elephanticity
There is a web site on Talk Origins that discusses religion and evolution issues. I'm not sure if we're allowed to post that link here, but if you're interested i could e-mail it to you. The only problem with the bible is that certain parts cannot be taken literally.

This does not have a huge impact on faith. Jesus spoke in parables, it is not unreasonable to figure that large parts of God's Living Word are not meant as literal fact reporting.

To be fair, you *can* take it literally - it just ends up contradicting a lot of things we now have very good reason to believe to be the case.

And yes, we can link:

http://www.talkorigins.org/

The people involved in that site are, so far as I can tell, good and honest people. They aren't trying to spread lies to further some sinister, evil, end; they're trying to help people understand the physical qualities of the world we live in.

They do not pretend to any particular knowledge about the spiritual qualities of the world we live in. If you want information about spiritual things, you might look at a popular book called "the Bible", which I believe has some very good insights into these matters.

Upvote 0

elephanticity

Mar 30, 2002
Visit site
✟8,527.00
They do not pretend to any particular knowledge about the spiritual qualities of the world we live in. If you want information about spiritual things, you might look at a popular book called "the Bible", which I believe has some very good insights into these matters.
Heard of that one...has the author written anything else i might recognize?

:D

Upvote 0

ZoneChaos

Senior Veteran
Feb 5, 2002
Kansas City, MO
Visit site
✟15,032.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Another theory I have toyed with is this:

HOw much time elapsed between the creation of the Garden of Eden (Iand the rest of the universe), and the actual fall?

Only a theory, but:

Duirng the time of "pre-fall", the universe did not know, and was not affected by sin, and it associated affects: Carnivore behavior, entropy, etc...

Is it perhaps during this time that the dinosaurs lived?

Without sin, there would be no death or destruction of anykind. The universe, earth specifically, would not be "aging"...

For who knows how long, there may never have been any evidence of radioactive dacay, or at least no change in the apparent"age" of the earth.

And, nothing would have died, before the fall.

Couple this with the mature earth theory adn with the effects of the flood, I think you have a sage of a billiojn year old earth, that has only existed for roughly 6000 (from the time of the fall), and that allowed for man and dinosaur to co-exist for who knows how long...

Upvote 0

elephanticity

Mar 30, 2002
Visit site
✟8,527.00
INcluding molecules?

Interesting theory.

But still, if there was nothing to show the passing of time before the fall, then all 'evidence clocks' would start At the fall. Again, it becomes a matter of God decieving us with evidence that doesn't jar with reality...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Satoshi

Mar 21, 2002
Visit site
✟774.00
Originally posted by A Sheep
If you want to counter talkorigins with a bit of truth, try http://www.trueorigin.org/

The main author of that site doesn't even know what evolution (or even science!) is, yet he pretends to know more about it than every biologist put together. It would be funny if people didn't fall for his material.

Upvote 0

Sinai

Apr 2, 2002
Visit site
✟1,762.00
Faith
Protestant
If you are interested in the major theories that have been advanced regarding the age of the universe and how that may or may not relate to the "days" of the Genesis account of creation, I suggest that you go to the thread that deals with that question (click here).

By the way, as to your question about whether the Bible mentions dinosaurs: It can be at least argued that it refers to them....but not necessarily at the places I've seen discussed on these threads. Those typically use some passages in Job that are dubious (based on the Hebrew usage) at best. A better place is in Genesis 1:21, where we are told that on day five God created various forms of animal life. Among the categories of animals listed is one named hattanninim haggedholim. Haggedholim is generally translated as "the great" or "the big." You'll find various translations for hattanninim, including creatures, alligators, monsters, whales, and even dragons. But tanninim is the plural of taneen, which is most commonly translated to mean "reptile." Thus, it can probably be argued that Genesis 1:21 refers to the big or great reptiles--and the biggest reptiles of all were the dinosaurs. It might also be noted that our term "dinosaur" was not coined for several thousand years after Genesis was written.

Upvote 0

Billy the Kid

Svi generis
Apr 16, 2002
Pittsburgh
✟8,044.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Also, there have been discoveries of old drawings in caves of Dinosaurs.
This has a major impact because the people back then did not have the technology to uncover bones and put them back together again. Below is an old painting of an unknown creature from Kuku Yanlanji people:
ii_11.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Originally posted by ZoneChaos
Another theory I have toyed with is this:

HOw much time elapsed between the creation of the Garden of Eden (Iand the rest of the universe), and the actual fall?

Only a theory, but:

Duirng the time of "pre-fall", the universe did not know, and was not affected by sin, and it associated affects: Carnivore behavior, entropy, etc...

Is it perhaps during this time that the dinosaurs lived?

Without sin, there would be no death or destruction of anykind. The universe, earth specifically, would not be "aging"...

For who knows how long, there may never have been any evidence of radioactive dacay, or at least no change in the apparent"age" of the earth.

Couple this with the mature earth theory adn with the effects of the flood, I think you have a sage of a billiojn year old earth, that has only existed for roughly 6000 (from the time of the fall), and that allowed for man and dinosaur to co-exist for who knows how long...

Out of curiosity how do you get from the premise "no sin" to the conclusion "nothing ages"? I do not see how there is a connection between the two. That and your whole conclusion rests on everything opposite of what we observe. The laws of nature are constant, they do not change. Thus to claim they do, you need good proof and not just the Bible.

--Dan

Upvote 0

Sinai

Apr 2, 2002
Visit site
✟1,762.00
Faith
Protestant
Originally posted by 30a2 (in signature block)
If evolution happened, then death was widespread before man evolved. But if death preceded man and was not a result of Adam’s sin, then sin is a fiction. If sin is a fiction, then we do not need a Savior. ~CreationScience.com

Interesting picture you posted, 30a2--but the quotation from CreationScience.com appears to use faulty or at least questionable logic. There is plenty of evidence of microevolution, which the Bible also supports. Macroevolution has been theorized but lacks supporting evidence. I have seen nothing in either science or the Bible to show that death did not occur prior to man. Yes, I have read Paul's writings [that sin entered the world through Adam's sin but is overcome through Christ's sacrifice] that some attempt to use in an effort to bolster rather poor theories--and I have looked at it in both various English translations and in the Greek, and both the Greek and the English translations make it rather clear that those verses do not support such a conclusion.

The reality and validity of sin is not negated just because someone at some website uses faulty logic in setting up a premise. It also does not negate our need for a Savior.

Upvote 0

Squee

Apr 2, 2002
Visit site
✟7,656.00
Have you ever noticed that in some pictures of a cyclops that you see two horns coming out of there mouth along with there teeth. Some people thought that an elephant skull was the skull of a cyclops. Because there is a socket in the skull where the trunk comes out of that looks like one huge eye socket.

Upvote 0