Oregon
✟368,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Gen 30:21 . . [Leah] bore [Jacob] a daughter, and named her Dinah.

Dinah's name is translated from the Hebrew word Diynah (dee-naw'). That word is the feminine of duwn (doon) which means: judgment, justice. and/or fair play.

You can bet Dinah was an instant hit with the women. Now they had someone to make dolls for, and cute little dresses, and tiny little knickers. And they could show her how to paint her fingernails, perm her hair, and put on make-up and eye shadow. I would guess that Dinah did more to help Jacob's women forget their differences and become friends than anything else around there.

And Jacob no doubt liked her immensely. It is just about impossible for a normal man to resist the charms of a bouncy little cherub. I've seen the toughest blue collar beasts you can imagine become mushy morons around little girls. When one of those teensy sweethearts puts her chubby little arms around a man's neck and says "Daddy, I love you" it's all over but the burial. If sons were indeed prized in those days, then the daughters were icing on the cake.

Dinah was very fortunate to have a dad like Jacob or she might have been poisoned on men all her life with a condition called misandry, which is similar to misogyny except misandry is the hatred of men instead of women.

Jacob had flaws, yes that's true; but he had no mommy issues resulting from growing up with Rebecca, and he was an excellent family man. For twenty years Rachel and Leah observed and compared their brothers and their dad to Jacob. And guess what? They much preferred to live with Jacob. He was fair, sensitive, caring, accommodating, and always looking out for their best interests and letting them have their own way whenever possible.

You know, Jacob didn't have to sleep with the maids. He could have put his foot down and refused. But he did it to soothe his wives. I'm sure he was aware of their rivalry amongst themselves and tried to help keep the peace in his home as best as he could. Life wasn't easy for Jacob; having to live with two miserable women.

But he was willing to go the extra mile; and even let Rachel and Leah have a say in big decisions effecting the family's future when in the culture of that day, he really didn't have to.

Gen 34:1 . . Now Dinah, went out to visit the daughters of the land.

Even though Dinah was brought up in a God-fearing home, she is going to fall prey to the morals of a local culture; and that can happen to anybody, so no one should ever think themselves immune to it.

"Do not be deceived: bad company corrupts good morals." (1Cor 15:33)

Paul's letter to the Corinthians wasn't written to bad people to encourage them to live like Christians. No, it was written to Christians to discourage them from hanging out with impious people and thereby becoming one of them.

Gen 34:2 . . Shechem, son of Hamor the Hivite, chief of the country, saw her, and took her and lay with her by force.

The words "by force" aren't in the Hebrew text. By penciling those words into a translation, editors make Dinah appear to be the victim of a rape rather than a willing partner in a hot affair.

Most Bible students are well aware of the oftentimes low moral character of the people of God, so if Dinah was truly accommodating in this episode, it shouldn't surprise anyone. After all, young girls are very susceptible to hero worship, and Shechem was a prince; the son of a sheik. What young girl doesn't dream of being swept off her feet by a prince? It's pretty common; and it's all part of being a real girl; for example:

I was amazed at an AeroSmith concert by the numbers of shapely, drop-dead gorgeous young girls crowded up against the stage trying to get Steven Tyler to notice them. If you've seen Mr. Tyler, I think you would agree with me he will never qualify as a hunk. But Tyler is a famous entertainer; and entertainers have a powerful sensual charisma regardless of their looks.

I observed an even more impressive display at a Rolling Stones concert (now there's a study in ugly). Women of all ages, sizes, and waistlines, slingshot their bras and undies up on the stage for the men to keep as love tokens. There were so many female undergarments cluttering the stage that the situation became a safety hazard. Keith Richards and the others had to kick them away to avoid tripping and falling.

Gen 34:3 . . Being strongly drawn to Dinah daughter of Jacob, and in love with the maiden, he spoke to the maiden tenderly.

Shechem's feelings of affection for Dinah weren't the typical violent lusts that rapists expend upon their victims. That boy was truly infatuated with Dinah; just like Jack was truly infatuated with Rose in the movie "Titanic".

I wonder if anyone reading this can remember the last time you felt that way about somebody-- how you had difficulty catching your breath, and how utterly vulnerable you felt in their presence. No, I just cannot believe Shechem raped Dinah. He really did like and love her as a person. She wasn't just a girl toy for Shechem to exploit; no, Dinah was "the one" and to him, she lit up the room the moment she walked in-- in his eyes; everything around her was a silver pool of light.

And Dinah? Well, Prince Shechem was simply irresistible; and the tender words he spoke to her were the kind of romantic words that every normal girl longs to hear from a boy.
_

Last edited:

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
It's an interesting take I was inclined to argue against the OP, but in context and looking at the rabbinic writing later, I think you got it. I was inclined to argue against it, but the fact Jacob rebukes the brothers etc. sort of nails it. It should be noticed though this is still a kind of date rape type thing. Like the brothers had reason to be angry because she was not the daughter of a commoner, but a person of nobility. And that means not doing a fait a compli to get her hand, but actually asking for her hand before any physical touching and negotiating a bride price etc.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Gen 30:21 . . [Leah] bore [Jacob] a daughter, and named her Dinah.

Dinah's name is translated from the Hebrew word Diynah (dee-naw'). That word is the feminine of duwn (doon) which means: judgment, justice. and/or fair play.

You can bet Dinah was an instant hit with the women. Now they had someone to make dolls for, and cute little dresses, and tiny little knickers. And they could show her how to paint her fingernails, perm her hair, and put on make-up and eye shadow. I would guess that Dinah did more to help Jacob's women forget their differences and become friends than anything else around there.

And Jacob no doubt liked her immensely. It is just about impossible for a normal man to resist the charms of a bouncy little cherub. I've seen the toughest blue collar beasts you can imagine become mushy morons around little girls. When one of those teensy sweethearts puts her chubby little arms around a man's neck and says "Daddy, I love you" it's all over but the burial. If sons were indeed prized in those days, then the daughters were icing on the cake.

Dinah was very fortunate to have a dad like Jacob or she might have been poisoned on men all her life with a condition called misandry, which is similar to misogyny except misandry is the hatred of men instead of women.

Jacob had flaws, yes that's true; but he had no mommy issues resulting from growing up with Rebecca, and he was an excellent family man. For twenty years Rachel and Leah observed and compared their brothers and their dad to Jacob. And guess what? They much preferred to live with Jacob. He was fair, sensitive, caring, accommodating, and always looking out for their best interests and letting them have their own way whenever possible.

You know, Jacob didn't have to sleep with the maids. He could have put his foot down and refused. But he did it to soothe his wives. I'm sure he was aware of their rivalry amongst themselves and tried to help keep the peace in his home as best as he could. Life wasn't easy for Jacob; having to live with two miserable women.

But he was willing to go the extra mile; and even let Rachel and Leah have a say in big decisions effecting the family's future when in the culture of that day, he really didn't have to.

Gen 34:1 . . Now Dinah, went out to visit the daughters of the land.

Even though Dinah was brought up in a God-fearing home, she is going to fall prey to the morals of a local culture; and that can happen to anybody, so no one should ever think themselves immune to it.

"Do not be deceived: bad company corrupts good morals." (1Cor 15:33)

Paul's letter to the Corinthians wasn't written to bad people to encourage them to live like Christians. No, it was written to Christians to discourage them from hanging out with impious people and thereby becoming one of them.

Gen 34:2 . . Shechem, son of Hamor the Hivite, chief of the country, saw her, and took her and lay with her by force.

The words "by force" aren't in the Hebrew text. By penciling those words into a translation, editors make Dinah appear to be the victim of a rape rather than a willing partner in a hot affair.

Most Bible students are well aware of the oftentimes low moral character of the people of God, so if Dinah was truly accommodating in this episode, it shouldn't surprise anyone. After all, young girls are very susceptible to hero worship, and Shechem was a prince; the son of a sheik. What young girl doesn't dream of being swept off her feet by a prince? It's pretty common; and it's all part of being a real girl; for example:

I was amazed at an AeroSmith concert by the numbers of shapely, drop-dead gorgeous young girls crowded up against the stage trying to get Steven Tyler to notice them. If you've seen Mr. Tyler, I think you would agree with me he will never qualify as a hunk. But Tyler is a famous entertainer; and entertainers have a powerful sensual charisma regardless of their looks.

I observed an even more impressive display at a Rolling Stones concert (now there's a study in ugly). Women of all ages, sizes, and waistlines, slingshot their bras and undies up on the stage for the men to keep as love tokens. There were so many female undergarments cluttering the stage that the situation became a safety hazard. Keith Richards and the others had to kick them away to avoid tripping and falling.

Gen 34:3 . . Being strongly drawn to Dinah daughter of Jacob, and in love with the maiden, he spoke to the maiden tenderly.

Shechem's feelings of affection for Dinah weren't the typical violent lusts that rapists expend upon their victims. That boy was truly infatuated with Dinah; just like Jack was truly infatuated with Rose in the movie "Titanic".

I wonder if anyone reading this can remember the last time you felt that way about somebody-- how you had difficulty catching your breath, and how utterly vulnerable you felt in their presence. No, I just cannot believe Shechem raped Dinah. He really did like and love her as a person. She wasn't just a girl toy for Shechem to exploit; no, Dinah was "the one" and to him, she lit up the room the moment she walked in-- in his eyes; everything around her was a silver pool of light.

And Dinah? Well, Prince Shechem was simply irresistible; and the tender words he spoke to her were the kind of romantic words that every normal girl longs to hear from a boy.
_
The title of your thread caught my attention. Can you elaborate on what is meant by "gone wild"?

Thanks.

Upvote 0

WebersHome

Site Supporter
May 7, 2017
Oregon
✟368,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I guess I'm still inclined to agree with the textual insert just because of Yacov's Revenge later.

We really shouldn't label what happened as Jacob's revenge because deception, murder, pillage, and kidnapping weren't Jacob's idea. In point of fact, he scolded his sons for what they did.
_

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

We really shouldn't label what happened as Jacob's revenge because deception, murder, pillage, and kidnapping weren't Jacob's idea. In point of fact, he scolded his sons for what they did.
_

After really looking at the Jewish encyclopedia I changed my mind and mostly agree with you, but with some caveats. I re-edited my previous statement when you were just posting.

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I just read a very detailed Jewish article on the subject. Very interesting and thorough. I was looking into the word "humbled" that I thought was very important to the story. What did this mean? Did this just mean that her bride price was ruined or something more?

Who Is the Victim in the Dinah Story? - TheTorah.com

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution

The information you seek is located back at the beginning of the thread in post No.1
_
i don't see where it explains Dinah "gone wild". In addition, what is mean't by "wild" in the title?

Thanks.

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
i don't see where it explains Dinah "gone wild". In addition, what is mean't by "wild" in the title?

Thanks.

The title is an allusion to the old "Girl's Gone Wild" videos that showed the Shenagians of college girls on spring break. (frequently advertised on TV in the 90s to early 2000s) The Jewish article link I just posted elaborates more on that from the traditional Jewish (non-Messianic) perspective.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
The title is an allusion to the old "Girl's Gone Wild" videos that showed the Shenagians of college girls on spring break. (frequently advertised on TV in the 90s to early 2000s) The Jewish article link I just posted elaborates more on that from the traditional Jewish (non-Messianic) perspective.

What has that got to do with Dinah?

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟950,392.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I agree with @brinny. Can you explain the context of the title? It reminds me of the infamous video series, Girls Gone Wild.

The videos typically involve camera crews at party locations engaging young college-aged women who expose their bodies or act "wild", especially during Spring break.

Yours in His Service,

~Bella

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
@Bèlla @brinny the context is the old fashion (patriarchal) notion of woman back in that particular day and culture was not suppose to go away from home, (unless of course she was shepherdess being the biggest exception.)

The best illustration I can point to is that love songs from the Jews and Muslims (who converted from the Jews) tend to be revolve around meeting women at Wells. Because for folks not living in a big city, that was the one place a person could legitimately meet a girl other than being invited to be a guest for dinner or to stay at the person's house.

And we even see a little bit of that in the Bible, with Jesus meeting the Samaritan woman at the well, besides the story or the servant meeting Rebecca etc.

• Friendly
Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟950,392.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
@Bèlla the context is the old fashion (patriarchal) notion of woman back in that particular day and culture was not suppose to go away from home, unless of course she was shepherdess being the biggest exception.

I have never heard Dinah addressed in that fashion in Jewish circles. Nevertheless, I'll ask. :)

Yours in His Service,

~Bella

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

WebersHome

Site Supporter
May 7, 2017
Oregon
✟368,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Dinah went out on the town to find the girls of the land; which makes good societal sense seeing as the girls of the land would know some of the boys of the land.

Dinah was, in my estimation, a normal Cyndi Lauper kind of girl, and she just wanted to have fuh-uhn: something her toxic brothers would never understand.
_

Upvote 0

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hadn't realised that the by force wasn't in the original translation .

It makes sense when you consider that she was to marry her "rapist". I used to wonder how a loving father like Jacob would have allowed that and how God would desire it. God never condones abuse nor would force a woman to marry her rapist or stays with her husband of he were abusive

Upvote 0