✟15,540.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello,

I'm looking for some words of wisdom and encouragement. I have a friend who flies for a major airline and he has a diagnosed condition (anxiety, stress and depression). He told me that he faked his medical otherwise he would lose his job.

It concerns me that he is in charge of 100-200 peoples lives when he flies these airplanes. I'm conflicted with reporting him as I know he will lose a job that pays him $300,000 a year. Also, I'm concerned for my family and my saftey if I report him as he has a little crazy side and I'm pretty sure he will know it is me who turned him in.

Can anyone offer any advice?
TIA.

• Prayers
Reactions: com7fy8

Call me Nic

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2017
✟481,735.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hello,

I'm looking for some words of wisdom and encouragement. I have a friend who flies for a major airline and he has a diagnosed condition (anxiety, stress and depression). He told me that he faked his medical otherwise he would lose his job.

It concerns me that he is in charge of 100-200 peoples lives when he flies these airplanes. I'm conflicted with reporting him as I know he will lose a job that pays him $300,000 a year. Also, I'm concerned for my family and my saftey if I report him as he has a little crazy side and I'm pretty sure he will know it is me who turned him in.

TIA.
I say let it be, and not meddle in that affair. If he is lying to them, he’ll get caught. Airlines are incredibly thorough. Not perfect, but I imagine at some point it’ll catch up to him.

I say leave it be and move on with your life.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hello and welcome to CF.

I understand the dilemma ... I was faced with something similar professionally this week. But in my case there was no real danger to anyone.

In the case you mention, if there is a very real danger to lives, that's a different matter. I'm not really sure how dangerous his condition makes him, and what failsafes are in place (aren't there always two pilots? ... though the other one being disabled somehow could potentially trigger his inability).

I think if it were me, I'd find a way to make someone aware to look at him a bit more carefully. Maybe there's a less obvious way to do that. But we are to act in love, and love in this case weighs in on protecting potentially hundreds of lives (and hundreds more on the ground potentially).

God be with you.

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hello,

TIA.
Co-Pilot in Germanwings Crash Hid Mental Illness From Employer, Authorities Say

Reactions: Call me Nic
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,157,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello,

TIA.

One thought to add to the useful responses just above. Since we don't want to accidentally make it seem his condition is different than it is, and don't actually know his exact condition... Isn't there definitely a 3rd way here -- to tell him he needs to immediately tell his doctor/therapist he is a pilot if he has not, and to give you the phone number of the doctor or therapist so that you can verify that the doctor/therapist is aware he is a pilot. That would allow you to put the situation into hands that are more competent to assess the situation.

Upvote 0