Dilemma about alms : should I give charity to homeless?

Call me Nic

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2017
✟481,735.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You would do better to give them the gospel; that's treasure for their souls and not for their bodies, which is much more important. But sometimes it's hard to discern the right thing to do... let the Spirit guide you, is all I can say. If you give alms to the poor when they ask, just make sure to not do it in the sight of men, to be seen of men, but do it solely for the glory of God (Matthew 6:1-4).

Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
In general, No.
The vast majority of homelessness is because of perverse lifestyle choices.
These lifestyle choices are aided and abetted by constant government handouts and charity that enables then to continue in their bad choices.
If that charity was stopped fully and completely, you can bet that many would make the decision to get themselves sorted.
Before you give, go seek the Lord for his wisdom.

Upvote 0

Basil the Great

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
Give to a local organization that helps the homeless. They will know the truly needy.
Agreed. Give to an organization that helps the homeless and/or hungry. Remember, Jesus warned all of us to feed the hungry and clothe the naked, so this is a very important matter.

Reactions: Antig
Upvote 0

Kit Sigmon

May 18, 2016
USA
✟76,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Bible says to give alms to who begs but somerimes this feeds human trafficking. As christian , what should I do?
(I usually reject giving money to begging men because I prefer making donation to charity organization but I now wonder if Jesus approved me)

Is there found in the Bible an example of a godly person giving money to
a beggar that they didn't actually know that person to be in want or know that
the person was truly disabled etc?

Have you noticed that those in the Bible who asked Jesus to do something
for them, they didn't ask him for money?

In Israel it was commanded of farmers to leave the corners of their fields so
that any who be in want could glean.
I know farmers who actually do this around where we live.

Scripture instructs that people should work/earn their living 2 Thessalonians 3:10...this be aimed at those who are able-bodied...for we all should know that theere be people who are unable to work due to sickness and or disabilities, this too is in the Bible and it was commanded that they be taken care of /and they could ask for alms...read: Leviticus 25:35, Deuteronomy 14:28-29, Acts 3:2, 1 John 3:17, Luke 14:13-14

Those who asked for alms weren't made rich, they were given what could provide
for their living for the day...so that they didn't go hungry or unsheltered.

Upvote 0

actionsub

Sir, this is a Wendy's...
Jun 20, 2004
Belleville, IL
✟57,546.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Give to a local organization that helps the homeless. They will know the truly needy.

I am ministry director of such an organization. We came into being to be a clearinghouse that would vet requests for help so as to identify the truly needy to churches in our network. That grew to include direct ministry to the homeless.

Thus, I echo Antig's advice. Even we do not directly give money to our clients, we give it directly to the people (generally utility companies) to whom our clients owe the money.

There are other ways to give direct support other than cash. The old saw "if you give a man a fish, he eats for a day..." applies here, but at least that fellow ate for that day.

Reactions: DavidMil
Upvote 0