• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

Digital Donation Dilemna

Discussion in 'One Bread, One Body - Catholic' started by TheOtherHockeyMom, Oct 18, 2012.

1. TheOtherHockeyMom

TheOtherHockeyMom Contributor

+232
    Catholic
    Private
    So, a few Sunday's back, I talked with a deacon after Mass about getting some new envelopes. He suggested I try the new online direct withdrawal donation system that the Church had started. I thought that sounded like a great idea, could give even when out of town, didn't have to fumble with a checkbook during Mass, etc. so I signed up.

Now, though, I feel a little bad at Mass when the collection comes by. Anyone else do this and feel this way?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Brooklyn Knight

Brooklyn Knight On a narrow road but not narrow minded

+174
    Catholic
    Engaged
    US-Others
    You could still offer a dollar when the collection comes.

3. TheOtherHockeyMom

+232
    Catholic
    Private
    I do, or have my kids do it, when I remember to grab cash :)

4. Anhelyna

Anhelyna Handmaid of God CF Senior Ambassador Supporter

+13,826
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    When my Old Church did this we were all given the same envelopes as everyone else - and we were able to put an empty sealed envelope in the basket .

As all envelopes were numbered, the Collection showed that #X had put in an empty envelope and the Church treasurer was told the identifying numbers of the empty envelopes and these were 'ticked off' as having made their donations . The only person who knew what the donation was was the Church treasurer .

5. MikeK

MikeK Traditionalist Catholic

+5,501
    Catholic
    Married
    Yes, I do. Even before digital collection I felt that way, as my wife and I like to go to different Masses, due partially to our gaggle of children and partially to our differing preferences. I do occasionally give the kids a buck or two to make us look legit, but most often I feel guilty and throw whatever cash I have into the basket. I generally don't carry cash, so it usually isn't much. I worry about it less now, as I'm no longer on the Church's payroll. I used to be quite sensitive to the idea that people might know that I was getting paid by the Church (it was never much, just as a musician and Catechist) but not contributing to Her.

6. Brooklyn Knight

Brooklyn Knight On a narrow road but not narrow minded

+174
    Catholic
    Engaged
    US-Others
    So, why worry? You give to your parish, you also give a few dollars here and there. You're golden.

7. Fantine

Fantine Dona Quixote Supporter

+8,599
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Democrat
    My parish doesn't have automatic donation, but I send a donation once a month through online banking for regular collections--it's easier.

I never feel badly because I play the organ and am always playing the offertory hymn when the collection is taking place.

8. MKJ

MKJ Contributor

+679
    Anglican
    Married
    CA-Greens
    I think this is a common feeling, but one you should try not to indulge. So what if other people think you are not giving? They should not be noticing (and probably aren't, really) and should not be making judgements about such things. But the issue is really related to pride - that's why it seems embarrassing to have people think you aren't contributing - and that is not really a good thing to feed.

A lot of people donate electronically now, I imagine most realize that others do too.

9. Root of Jesse

Root of Jesse Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord Supporter

+3,382
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Constitution
    In this case, we need to remember that people give Time, Talent, and Treasure.

Mike obviously is giving time and talent. Maybe you're getting paid, but you could make more playing for the Episcopalian church, or Saturday night at a bar. What we all need to do is to not judge people when we see some skipping the collection plate.

Personally, I give mostly to some entities that I feel do good work. A religious order, the National Shrine, and EWTN get a lot of my charity. I give to the Church I attend daily Mass at, as well as whatever Church I attend Sunday Mass at. But what I give the local Church is a pittance, unless I know there's a second collection for St. Vincent DePaul or Food for the Poor or something. If I attend the parish regularly, I try to see what they take in on a weekly basis, and chip in more if warranted.

10. FullyMT

FullyMT Veni Sancte Spiritus

+286
    Catholic
    Single
    I think that putting money in at the collection is an important witness for your children. I credit my parents' example for teaching me to always donate at Mass, even if it is only a few dollars (what I can afford to give right now as a graduate student).
    Anhelyna's system sounds really good, although you may want to explain and check with your pastor or parish treasurer about it too.

11. MikeK

MikeK Traditionalist Catholic

+5,501
    Catholic
    Married
    Pride is a part of it for me, but a certain amount is scandal as well. I don't want people to think that "Churchy" people are non-contributors.

12. Root of Jesse

Root of Jesse Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord Supporter

+3,382
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Constitution
    I understand, totally.

13. MKJ

MKJ Contributor

+679
    Anglican
    Married
    CA-Greens
    Jumping to that conclusion on their part would still be inappropriate. It is one thing to avoid scandal when people would reasonably come to a particular conclusion. It is a bit different when they are themselves giving in to inappropriate speculation.

Kind of like wearing a full veil because some numb-scull won't keep his mind out of the gutter. At a certain point the responsibility is theirs.

And really - there are tons of reasons people may not give on a particular occasion or even at every service. Including increasingly common digital giving. People would have to be purposefully obtuse not to realize that there are many possible explanations.

14. Angeldove97

Angeldove97 In the Lord, my labor is not in vain Supporter

+2,025
    United States
    Traditional. Cath.
    Married
    US-Others
    Hubby and I might switch to a different parish that has more younger families and they just started using Faith Direct (I think it's called that) for their donations. Apparently they understand that a person would still want to put something in the basket and will provide a card that you can print off and put into the basket.

Perhaps you and your child could use that idea and come up with some note cards you could put into the basket instead of more cash. On one side you could write that you made a donation using whatever system it is that they use and on the other side your children could draw a picture that is about the Gospel reading that week. :)

15. TheOtherHockeyMom

+232
    Catholic
    Private
    That's a really neat idea. Solves two problems at once, getting the kids into listening to the Gospel and drawing quietly as well!