✟8,172.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi friends,
I am a father of an extremely "difficult" teenage boy. So many times he is out of control and I have the feeling that talking or yelling doesn't help anymore. What do you think I can do about this behavior? Do you believe in spanking still? If so, how do I do it properly according to the scripture (any experts here on this?)? I myself have never been spanked and I'm afraid it would just worsen my relationship to him.

Thank you for your help!

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,117.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Responsibility is learned by learning there are consequences to actions. Now I know that politicians don't set the bar very high as an example to youth or anyone, but consequences for actions good or bad is what works, Like training a pet, for we are all animals. But don't worry. In another 20 years he may be faced with people like himself and finally understand.

I might add, most adults act according to how they were parented and what they learned in their first 5 years. If he had a good upbringing then, then this now shall pass after the waters calm.

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well.. you WILL get many different answers. Some think you NEVER should spank vs spare the rod spoil the child. There are at least 4 verses on this. Its your child. Good lord I still remember 3rd grade.. being sent to the principles office and getting spanked haha.

I know this preacher.. gone home now. When he was young lived with his grandmother. This grandmother prayed all the time for him <---theres key number 1. He would sneak out all the time. At this party the friends find him saying.. a your grandmother is here. He was shocked. He asked her how did she find him? The lord told here right where he was. Two girls want to go see this band back stage. As they try to go on, the man watching the door lets one in. The other he said "you can't go in" She asked why? he said "your a christian". See the mother every time she left mom prayed over her. No matter how the girl was living.

I have no problem with spanking. I am not like most. See before my kids were born.. I always prayed the word over them. Speaking HIS words.. on how they would be when they were born. GODS WORD can not lie. My Father does not lie. JESUS is real. Pray.. be at peace. KNOW HE HEARS YOU. Ask HIM what to do.. as you wait on Him.. He WILL tell you. Its your house.. kick out any evil there. Speak words of life. Your life ..how is it with Christ? Fix that 1st.. just repent.. ask to be on the right path and ..thats it :)

I posted stories to build your faith. To show you.. PRAYER works. Sorry.. be unwise to tell anyone how they should discipline there kids. KNOW who you are in Christ. Put CHRIST 1st.. then the enemy has no rights what so ever.

Upvote 0

MayYouBeBlessed

Jul 7, 2019
Earth
✟16,851.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Hi friends,
I am a father of an extremely "difficult" teenage boy. So many times he is out of control and I have the feeling that talking or yelling doesn't help anymore. What do you think I can do about this behavior? Do you believe in spanking still? If so, how do I do it properly according to the scripture (any experts here on this?)? I myself have never been spanked and I'm afraid it would just worsen my relationship to him.

Thank you for your help!

Don't spank. Won't help. Make him spend all of his time in smth productive, like sports, music or science club or whatever.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟690,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hi friends,

Thank you for your help!

by the time you get to the teenage years they really are to old to begin spanking at that point. Spanking (not abuse) is for a very young child that your teaching consequences to for breaking rules. These life lessons of every action having either positive or negative consequence should be ingrained into the child by the time he's a teenager - for just this reason.

Because by the time they hit the teenage years they are far more difficult to deal with as they are trying on their independence while still in a safe environment. But since this world and their decisions can have severe consequences we still can't let them have total independence yet. Baby steps.

Every parent deals with this fight for independence and pushing of boundaries to one degree or another - what makes it either difficult or easy on you is your parenting skills (and how the child's life went) up to that point.

If your son was never given rules and boundaries, and was basically spoiled to this point in his life, your going to have your hands full and I honestly wouldn't have a clue where to begin either because all children are asserting their independence at this stage, and any control you have is usually well established at this stage.

I will say that my daughter was raped at the age of 15 and that affected her very negatively and her entire attitude changed from that day forward.. After that incident she fought me tooth and nail over everything and was very self destructive. I remember once i had to sit on her to keep her from leaving the house and going to drink alcohol with a bad crowd she had fallen in with. Very self destructive.

I had her in counseling, but it was so difficult to get her through her teenage years, and she still dropped out of school and left home before she was of age.

My son on the other hand, who was 7 years older than my daughter, was an angel through his teenage years in comparison. Never any real issue, so I'm positive it was the emotional issues from the rape that caused my daughters self destructive behavior.

I mention that because if you feel that while you may not have spanked your child you did teach consequences and rules, and as such didn't spoil him, you may look the for external issues (like my daughter who was raped) that might be causing your child to go to extremes right now..

Hormones and the fight for independence can cause issues, but it's generally more that causes a child to go to extremes - whether that is mental health issues or not I can't say.. but counseling might be in order if your having to sit on your kid like I did, or if they are especially self destructive.

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Spanking at this point wouldn't solve anything except make him more angry. It is time for counseling for both of you...both independently and together (same counselor)...to find out what is broken and how to fix it. Sometimes it takes time to find the right counselor. Pray about it before making the first appointment.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums