Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
The King James Bible is very hard to read because it is not a direct translation from its original languages (Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek) to modern English, using English vocabulary, spelling, grammar, and syntax. Someone told me the New International Version is missing some verses that are in the KJV, so it is important to read the least readable Bible. Nobody can convince me I need to read a specific version of the Bible just like nobody can talk me into being a Catholic. I want to know more about different Bible versions that are readable for native English readers including the English Standard Version, American Standard Version, and similar Bibles.

Reactions: danbuter

Lazarus Short

Apr 6, 2016
Independence, Missouri, USA
✟294,142.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Even a badly translated Bible is better than none. I have been reading a version I ran into at half-price books, translated by a group in South Africa and printed in China of all places. It is simply called "The Scriptures," has a definite Hebraic flavor, and I'm really enjoying it. You just need to find the translation that "clicks" with you. YMMV, and all that.

Upvote 0

Call me Nic

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2017
✟481,735.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The King James Bible is very hard to read because it is not a direct translation from its original languages (Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek) to modern English, using English vocabulary, spelling, grammar, and syntax. Someone told me the New International Version is missing some verses that are in the KJV, so it is important to read the least readable Bible. Nobody can convince me I need to read a specific version of the Bible just like nobody can talk me into being a Catholic. I want to know more about different Bible versions that are readable for native English readers including the English Standard Version, American Standard Version, and similar Bibles.
Like the other poster said, why don't you just pick a version that you like and actually read it? as opposed to coming on here and ranting about how you don't like the KJV because you can't read it. This is the second thread you've made on the subject now. If you're that interested in different translations, Google them individually and read about them. Either way, on here, you're going to get some kind of bias. Don't seek bias, especially that which aligns with yours. Rather, seek the truth. Do independent research and find a Bible that works for you and start reading.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,159.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single

For me the best to use is Biblehub.com!
Genesis 1:1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.

Offers all English translations in parallel format presentation. Also includes Strong's Greek Concordance and cross references other related verses!! Really the best if you like to get in deep into the "rabbit hole"!

...Or just to make sure you don't get lost in the context or interpretation!

Reactions: JCFantasy23
Upvote 0

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Someone told me the New International Version is missing some verses that are in the KJV.
That's not true. The NIV has all the verses, however, those who were not found in the early Alexandrian manuscripts are italicized with notes explaining so.

• Winner
Reactions: DW1980
Upvote 0

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟149,049.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If you will self-learn Greek, you will be able to read John's writings in the original language in few months.
To use translations is not the only option out there, today...

Regarding English translations, I like Berean Literal Bible, but most of time I use NIV for quotations, just because its the first on biblehub.com :)

Regarding the Old Testament, I use Brenton's translation of the Septuagint.

Reactions: timewerx
Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

They all say the same thing. There are differences between the translations based on which manuscripts were given priority, subtleties in language, and biases of the translators. You can compare different translations if you find a discrepancy, and also compare them to the commentaries of the Church fathers who were native Greek speakers. But then you are also reading a translation of the fathers as well.

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟149,049.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
They all say the same thing. There are differences between the translations based on which manuscripts were given priority, subtleties in language, and biases of the translators. You can compare different translations if you find a discrepancy, and also compare them to the commentaries of the Church fathers who were native Greek speakers. But then you are also reading a translation of the fathers as well.
"And do not call anyone on earth 'father,' for you have one Father, and he is in heaven."
Mt 23:9

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
"And do not call anyone on earth 'father,' for you have one Father, and he is in heaven."
Mt 23:9

Rom 15:8 - Now I say that Jesus Christ has become a servant to the circumcision for the truth of God, to confirm the promises made to the fathers,

1Co 4:15 - For though you might have ten thousand instructors in Christ, yet you donot have many fathers; for in Christ Jesus I have begotten you through the gospel.

1Co 10:1 - Moreover, brethren, I do not want you to be unaware that all our fathers were under the cloud, all passed through the sea,

Gal 1:14 - And I advanced in Judaism beyond many of my contemporaries in my own nation, being more exceedingly zealous for the traditions of my fathers.

Heb 1:1 - God, who at various times and in various ways spoke in time past to the fathers by the prophets,

Reactions: Antoni
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Lazarus Short

Apr 6, 2016
Independence, Missouri, USA
✟294,142.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That comes from the bias of the translators.

Are you so sure? I am not wanting to derail the thread, but I happen to know that "hell" is not a word from the Latin, Greek or Hebrew. A good translator should have NO biases - text first...doctrine later.

Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Actually, they don't. Some Bible versions mention Hell, and some do not. I prefer versions that do not.

Jehovah's Witness Bibles call it Hades. I would be surprised if any Bible makes no mention of a place that we call hell, which is described as the "lake of fire" in Revelations.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Are you so sure? I am not wanting to derail the thread, but I happen to know that "hell" is not a word from the Latin, Greek or Hebrew. A good translator should have NO biases - text first...doctrine later.

There are a number of words throughout the bible often translated as "hell". It often depends on the translators' biases as to how they are translated.

Upvote 0

Concord1968

LCMS Lutheran
Sep 29, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟23,029.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hell is an English word that is the equivalent of "Gehenna". The only time it's a problem is when the King James translators also used it for Sheol and Hades.

Upvote 0

Concord1968

LCMS Lutheran
Sep 29, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟23,029.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
IOW hell is just a word for a place, not a name, because Hades, Shoel, and Gahenna are capitalized.
In the early Greek manuscripts words were written in ALL CAPS. Upper and lowercase was a quirk imposed on the text by later scribes. So you can't read any meaning into the uppercase/lowercase usages in an English translation.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Upvote 0