Visit site
✟25,473.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I have been posting on the internet for a few years now, and have learned in this time that there are many difference between American Evangelical Christianity, and that of the rest of the world. Some things as much as denominational distinctions are different in Germany. For example a friend of mine attended the only evangelical type services they could find and they were held at a Baptist church, but were Charismatic in practice. The Baptist name on the door in America generally means not Charismatic at all.

I just thought this might be a good topic to discuss, since we have forums specifically for British Christians, ect. Many if not most of the Christians that post here are American, and have no idea how the rest of the world does things. We Americans tend to think that the way we do it is the right/Biblical way, and that isn't necessarily so.

eldermike

Pray
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2002
NC
Visit site
✟20,209.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Good subject!

I am curretly taking "mentoring" in my studies. There are dramatic differences in what is considered mentoring depending on the culture. Same is true for church fellowships. Americans tend to be indenpendant thinkers and if we were to really face it; we are relationally challanged. We like the empty seat next to us in church, it's our space.
Our cultural expereinces impact our abilities to relate to people. It should go without saying that this is a problem, God works through relationships.

I hope we have some activity in this thread. I could use the research material.

Upvote 0

wvmtnkid

Order of the Candle
May 29, 2002
West Virginia
Visit site
✟10,466.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I went on a mission trip to Jamaica a few years ago, and I was really touched by the church services we attended down there. "The church" made up these people's lives.

Church started at 10:00 at didn't end until 2:30. We have people at my church at are ancy if the service goes beyond an hour. They we were back again that evening for several hours. They also had nightly services several times during the week. Not special services for just that week, but this was their usual schedule. The night I liked the best was family night. The familes gathered together for just fun and fellowship. We sang and played these hilarious games, of course some of the language barrier made it even more hilarious for us. But their church was more than just a building they attended for an hour on Sunday morning.

Something else interesting was that these people were a poor people. Some barely had running water at their house, let alone inside their house. But, at Sunday morning worship, they were dressed to the nines, what would be considered dressed up from them. They came to church in their best. They understood what giving their best to God was.

Upvote 0

Dandey

Oct 28, 2003
Bexhill on Sea
✟150.00
Faith
Christian
As a Brit I suppose I can only describe our impressions of American churches. Maybe you have incorrect impressions of us. We do have the impression that all churches in the USA are mega and we have something of an inferiority complex. My present church (Anglican) is one of largest in the Chichester diocese I am told, with some 300 members. Does that seem weird to you?

Some Baptist churches here as well as Anglican and others, have all the appearance of charismatics, but as someone involved in the Fountain Trust, (early forerunners of New Pentecostals) in the 1960s, many modern charismatics do not really seem to use spiritual gifts so much as enjoying jumping up and down!!

One impression which is widespread is that Americans are very insular (sounds strange coming from the British Isles!!) Also of the wealth having a corrupting influence in all areas of American society. Sorry, but you did seem to be asking :eek:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Metanoia02

Owner of the invisible &a mp;
Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟20,203.00
Faith
Catholic
Dandey said:
One impression which is widespread is that Americans are very insular (sounds strange coming from the British Isles!!) Also of the wealth having a corrupting influence in all areas of American society. Sorry, but you did seem to be asking :eek:
Your right on the money!

I think it is ironic how Americans proudly procliam this to be a great Christian nation when it is perhaps the worst example of what Christianity should be.

Upvote 0

eldermike

Pray
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2002
NC
Visit site
✟20,209.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
No apology needed!, That is the answer to the question asked. Christian workers here in the US we are both aware of these influences and affected by them as well. The best ideas for improving our current condition will most likely not come from here, although I do like 40 days of purpose as an example of a great try.

The US Christian has become a self contained unit, capable of sustaining a ministry of one in a fellowship of 1000's.. The mega Church is both a blessing and a curse, It reveals a need for people to find fellowship with God, but on their terms, being in Gods house without knowing anyone or risking personal relationships. It's a method of retaining accountability only to God as the self contained ministry unit hiding out in a multitude.

Don't take this wrong, I am not trying to step on toes here. If you look down you will see my toes also.

We can learn concepts but without a driving force the need to apply them seems to be missing.

Eldermike

Upvote 0

La Bonita Zorilla

Diana's Quiver Bearer
Mar 25, 2003
New York
Visit site
✟2,855.00
Faith
Methodist
Interesting topic. It is certainly in play in the controversy over Gene Robinson being named an Episcopal Bishop. The opposition to this comes primarily from African and Asian clergy (but Bishop Desmond Tutu of South Africa supports Robinson, perhaps out of his keen understanding of oppression). Some have opined this is due to the fact the Africans and Asians have not experienced "The Enlightenment" in their cultures.

Likewise, while American and European Catholics routinely ignore or defy Rome's policies on divorce, birth control, abortion, etc., it is the African, Asian, and Latin American Catholics who tend to support the church on these issues. Of course Latin America has a strong anticlericalism due to the church's alliance with oligarchs, too, but even its revolutionaries are nominal Catholics.

Obviously pluralism and being able to live peacefully with those of other sects remains an issue in Northern Ireland, the former Yugoslavia, the SubContinent, parts of the islands of Southeast Asia like the southern Phillipines and northern Indonesia, and the areas in Africa where Muslim and Christian spheres meet like northern Nigeria.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Metanoia02

Owner of the invisible &a mp;
Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟20,203.00
Faith
Catholic
theomnifish said:
Could you please explain how divorce is a sign of a culture being enlightened?
I use the term enlightened to signify the result of the "Enlightenment" which histroically followed the Reformation. The Enlightenment focused primarily on self or the individual. In today's terminology, "It's all about ME". Church, faith, family and community took a back seat to the individual. The exact opposite of what we see as Christian virtue. Divorce is just one of the things that have resulted from this mentality.

Upvote 0

Lotar

Swift Eagle Justice
Feb 27, 2003
Southern California
✟19,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Metanoia02 said:
I use the term enlightened to signify the result of the "Enlightenment" which histroically followed the Reformation. The Enlightenment focused primarily on self or the individual. In today's terminology, "It's all about ME". Church, faith, family and community took a back seat to the individual. The exact opposite of what we see as Christian virtue. Divorce is just one of the things that have resulted from this mentality.
The "enlightenment" that lbz is talking about is not a result of the Reformation, rather it is a result of secularism, which is just as prominent in Catholic countries as it is in Protestant ones. If you want to spread these antiProtestant beliefs, then go to the IDD to do it, no one wants to read this here.

Upvote 0

Lanakila

Not responsible for the changes here.
Jun 12, 2002
Nestled in the Gorgeous Montana Mountains
Visit site
✟25,473.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
*Mod Hat On* 3) Non-Protestant members (eg. Catholic members) can only post fellowship posts here or posts to ask a question regarding Protestant or Evangelical doctrine. Once the question is answered, there shall be no debate over the answer in this forum by the Non-Protestant. Any debate posts by Non-Protestants will be deleted or moved to the Interdenominational Doctrine Debate forum. In other words, only Protestant members can debate here. *Mod Hat Off*

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.