• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Difference in pulse and blood pressure in both arms

gerbilwoman

Gerbil Queen
Supporter
Jun 9, 2014
USA
✟433,432.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Really not feeling well so took my blood pressure with one of those wrist ones.

Left wrist was 143/99 with a pulse of 90. Right wrist was 112/62 with pulse of 67. I did some research online and it said if there is over a 10 point difference something could be wrong. I guess I should see the doctor.

civilwarbuff

Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟603,290.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Really not feeling well so took my blood pressure with one of those wrist ones.

Left wrist was 143/99 with a pulse of 90. Right wrist was 112/62 with pulse of 67. I did some research online and it said if there is over a 10 point difference something could be wrong. I guess I should see the doctor.
You should take them simultaneously to ensure accuracy by people who know what they are doing. My guess is you did something wrong otherwise you would not have such a discrepancy in the pulse rate. Wrist measurements have a higher inaccuracy rate than arm cuffs due to the size of the artery they are measuring.

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
I agree, the pulse discrepancy kind of indicates that one or both blood pressures were not good readings....but it is time to get in for a check up and point out that you did have a different reading from left to right. In the meantime, best would be to find someone who can take them the old fashioned way with an upper arm cuff and a stethoscope....if you do that, also get an ankle reading for a top to bottom comparison.

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
You have two hearts??

I promise...I can make a heart beat change significantly between two reading taken 1 minute apart..with just one heart.

Let me pull out a needle and say I need to give you an injection in a very delicate body part...or tell you that you may have cancer...or even you put your foot in a puddle of wetness under your dining room table and you have a new puppy running around the house. On my patients with heart monitors, the heart rate can easily change 40 bpm if they get up to go the bathroom and have some level of pain involved in moving...

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I agree with others. If you had this much difference, you probably didn't take the pressure and HR properly.

Sit quietly, in a neutral sitting position and take the pressure and HR 3-4 times on each side. You shouldn't have much of a difference. If you do, see the doc.

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
I agree with others. If you had this much difference, you probably didn't take the pressure and HR properly.

Sit quietly, in a neutral sitting position and take the pressure and HR 3-4 times on each side. You shouldn't have much of a difference. If you do, see the doc.

Don't do them in a row...you got to give the arteries a minute or two to rest between readings.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I would get more data than that. I have found the wrist cuffs can be way off depending on how you hold your arm. just a few inches higher or lower can throw the reading off by 20 points or more.

Also - the more readings you get, the numbers usually go down. Since the 2nd reading was lower with a lower heart rate, you probably were more relaxed.

Upvote 0

Donna216

Oct 23, 2006
✟7,740.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
While the left arm typically has a slightly higher blood pressure (BP) than the right arm, due to the blood flowing outward from the heart on the left side, a large difference is not normal. Blood pressure needs to be taken with an appropriately sized arm cuff (not a wrist cuff since they can cause falsely elevated readings). To accurately take your blood pressure, the cuff needs to be the correct size and you should be sitting with your feet flat on the floor; it's best to sit quietly for 10 to 15 minutes before taking your BP. In terms of the cuff size, too large a cuff will cause a falsely lowered blood pressure reading and too small a cuff will cause a falsely elevated reading. I recommend taking your blood pressure unit with you to your next healthcare provider visit to make sure it is accurate.

Yes, readings that are > than 10mm hg, like you mentioned, may have other causes. I recommend visiting your healthcare provider.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums