• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Difference between theoria and praxis?

Discussion in 'The Ancient Way - Eastern Orthodox' started by SingularityOne, Apr 17, 2019 at 11:47 AM.

1. SingularityOne

SingularityOne Member Supporter

+116
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    Theoria gets misconstrued in our western culture. So I'm wondering what this "contemplation of God" actually means. I think it to be "putting out of mind the thoughts of the created and putting in the uncreated", but I'm not sure what that means or if I'm correct in my assessment.

On the other side, it seems that true praxis cannot be separated from theoria. the more one grows in theosis, the more pure/true that one's theoria and praxis will be.

My question mainly is: "What is theoria and what is praxis purged from a western mindset?"

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. ArmyMatt

ArmyMatt Regular Member Supporter

+10,283
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    theoria is the vision of God in His glory. praxis is that vision lived out.

3. SingularityOne

+116
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    Praxis makes sense.

However, do you mind explaining theoria a bit more? How does one know that they are actually having a vision of God in His glory or not?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019 at 12:06 PM
  4. ArmyMatt

+10,283
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    well, He is God and almighty, so He can let you know and erase doubt.

but a good test is if you become aware of your sinfulness and just how much of a creature you are, and at the same time being enveloped by God's love and the peace and joy that comes with that.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  5. SingularityOne

+116
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    Thanks for the clarification!

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  6. ArmyMatt

+10,283
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    it's from folks far wiser than me, haha.

7. AMM

AMM A beggar named Jerome Supporter

+385
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    In Relationship
    can you explain the difference between theoria and the western idea of the beatific vision?

8. ArmyMatt

+10,283
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    theoria is seeing God as the risen Christ in His Uncreated energies. the beatific vision is seeing God in His essence.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  9. AMM

+385
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    In Relationship
    so both are beholding God, and sort of the same basic concept, but "beatific vision" is the Roman terminology and as such is associated with some of their heresies?

10. ArmyMatt

+10,283
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    yes. for us, you can never behold God's essence

11. AMM

+385
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    In Relationship
    can we ever behold any essence? Like human essence, for example? That would make sense intuitively. And does the essence/energy distinction apply to the whole created world, as a reflection of the uncreated Creator?

12. ArmyMatt

+10,283
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    no, we never behold any essence. what we do is communicate through the essential energies. there is no nature, Uncreated or created, that doesn't have energies/operations/activity.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List