Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Wow...That list is amazing. Did you put that together?? I wish I had come across that a long time ago!
No I am not the author. It is indeed a good starting point.

Upvote 0

EvangelCatholic

Oct 12, 2014
New York Metro
✟728.00
Faith
Lutheran
Can someone please explain to me the difference between the EPC and the PCA? From what I can tell, they seem very similar (except for how each denomination started).

Any insights would be greatly appreciated!

-Justin

For those unfamiliar with these acronyms, can you identify the denomination?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AMR

Presbyterian (PCA) - Bona Fide Reformed
Jun 19, 2009
Chandler, Arizona
Visit site
✟211,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I think I read somewhere a group of pca'ers are working on ordaining women in the future
Not likely unless the group plans on leaving the PCA.

Upvote 0

Calvinist Dark Lord

Apr 8, 2003
Near Pittsburgh, which is NOT in Scotland!
✟27,806.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
For those unfamiliar with these acronyms, can you identify the denomination?
EPC = Evangelical Presbyterian Church, and PCA = Presbyterian Church in America.

Upvote 0

Calvinist Dark Lord

Apr 8, 2003
Near Pittsburgh, which is NOT in Scotland!
✟27,806.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Can someone please explain to me the difference between the EPC and the PCA? From what I can tell, they seem very similar (except for how each denomination started).

Any insights would be greatly appreciated!

-Justin
The EPC has quite a bit more congregational autonomy than does the PCA and as such, one cannot claim that any one congregation 'represents' the EPC.

Some congregations have female Ruling and/or Teaching Elders, some forbid female elders. Some congregations are charismatic friendly, some are hard cessationalists. Some congregations have contemporary worship, some follow the regulative principle (as understood by the OPC or the PCA) and some have both kinds of services.

It has been my experience, having been a member of the EPC for 23 years that most congregations have female deacons (your mileage may vary). However since the deacons are neither a court of the church nor have any governing responsibilities, this is largely a non-issue.

At one point nearly all female Teaching Elders were gone from the denomination...and then a great number of former PCUSA congregations with female pastors joined the EPC and the number of female Teaching Elders increased.

The issue of female Elders is an in-house debate, and the denomination neither forbids nor mandates female elders at this time. Whilst the congregation has the right to call it's own pastors, said persons MUST have the call placed in their hands by the the Presbytery in which that congregation belongs. Teaching Elders belong to the Presbytery and not their congregations.

Reactions: AMR
Upvote 0

jinc1019

Christian
Mar 22, 2012
North Carolina
✟17,067.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The EPC has quite a bit more congregational autonomy than does the PCA and as such, one cannot claim that any one congregation 'represents' the EPC.

Some congregations have female Ruling and/or Teaching Elders, some forbid female elders. Some congregations are charismatic friendly, some are hard cessationalists. Some congregations have contemporary worship, some follow the regulative principle (as understood by the OPC or the PCA) and some have both kinds of services.

It has been my experience, having been a member of the EPC for 23 years that most congregations have female deacons (your mileage may vary). However since the deacons are neither a court of the church nor have any governing responsibilities, this is largely a non-issue.

At one point nearly all female Teaching Elders were gone from the denomination...and then a great number of former PCUSA congregations with female pastors joined the EPC and the number of female Teaching Elders increased.

The issue of female Elders is an in-house debate, and the denomination neither forbids nor mandates female elders at this time. Whilst the congregation has the right to call it's own pastors, said persons MUST have the call placed in their hands by the the Presbytery in which that congregation belongs. Teaching Elders belong to the Presbytery and not their congregations.

Good information, thanks!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BryanW92

Hey look, it's a squirrel!
May 11, 2012
NE Florida
✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No escape from politics

But many people do not see it as politics. They see politics as truth and politicians as people to be trusted to the extent that they will place their future in the hands of politicians and say "manage my life".

Upvote 0

tulipbee

Worker of the Hive
Apr 27, 2006
✟25,849.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
But many people do not see it as politics. They see politics as truth and politicians as people to be trusted to the extent that they will place their future in the hands of politicians and say "manage my life".

Arminianism vs calvinism
vs democrats vs republicans
both behave alike.

Upvote 0