• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Difference between Eastern Orthodox and Coptic/Ethiopian Orthodox

Discussion in 'The Ancient Way - Eastern Orthodox' started by Bulldog, Feb 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bulldog

Bulldog Don't Tread on Me

+163
    Protestant
    US-Libertarian
    As you can see I've been asking questions about Orthodoxy lately, because its not something I was brought up learning about.(I've only looked into Othodox theology and beliefs recently) Now my question is: What are the differences between Eastern Orthodox and Coptic/Ethiopian Orthodox?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Maximus

Maximus Orthodox Christian

+365
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Please check out the articles here.

They will give you a good introduction to the differences between the Eastern Orthodox and the Non-Chalcedonians, among whom are the Copts and Ethiopians.

There is also a very thorough article here from the Catholic Encyclopedia, if you have time for a lengthy read.

I would add that for the Catholic Encyclopedia article, if you scroll down to the heading "Orthodoxy," you can read the conclusions of several experts as to whether or not the Non-Chalcedonians are to be considered heretical from the Catholic (and Eastern Orthodox) point of view.

3. Super Mickey

Super Mickey New Member

+5
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    The only difference is that the OO believee in the first 3 Ecumenical councils and the EO believes in the first 7 Ecumenical councils
    Everything else we all believe in it. I think it is a miracle that we both kept the true faith.
    For example EO and OO are not in communion since 451 AD we both dont believe in puregatory nor in the petrine authority and we both believe in the what the RC calls deutrocanonical books or what protestants call Apocrypha of the Old Testament. this means that we kept our beliefs unchanged since 451 and they are what all the united church believed before first schism
    for more info about the OO church check this link
    http://www.geocities.com/mfignatius/oo.html#a01

4. Reader Nilus

Reader Nilus SISU

+230
    Eastern Orthodox
    We are very close, and in unofficial communion with each other.
    Jeff the Finn

5. Bulldog

Bulldog Don't Tread on Me

+163
    Protestant
    US-Libertarian
    Thanks all. :)

6. Maximus

+365
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Those are MAJOR differences.

We do not believe that the Non-Chalcedonians have "kept the true faith."

An essential part of the true faith is the acceptance of all seven of the ecumenical councils.

For one thing, we Orthodox do believe in a purgatorial process after death as evidenced in the Confession of Dositheus (1672):

For another, we do accept the Petrine Primacy, but not the universal jursidiction of the modern popes.

For a third, we absolutely do regard the Deuterocanonical Books as an indispensable part of the Canon of Sacred Scripture.

7. Maximus

+365
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Not quite accurate.

Some have been fooled into thinking "we are very close."

The Antiochians have entered into unofficial communion with the Non-Chalcedonians, which brings the Antiochians dangerously close to being officially out of communion with the Orthodox Church.

8. Reader Nilus

Reader Nilus SISU

+230
    Eastern Orthodox
    Along with the Greeks, and for that matter the OCA. I saw with my own eyes Met ANTHONY of San Francisco commune an Ethiopian parish that met in a Greek Orthodox temple in Seattle. I also communed that day so as a fact I am in communion with the OO. It is just not the Antiochians.
    Jeff the Finn

9. Maximus

+365
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    I do not know the circumstances of the event of which you speak or what that Ethiopian parish had confessed.

I do think you should read the articles at http://www.orthodoxinfo.com/ecumenism/ea_mono.htm to see the reaction of the Patriarch of Jerusalem and the monks of Mt. Athos to the actions of the Antiochians, however.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.