Mar 17, 2005
FEMA Region III
✟42,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi Dani,
There are several different kinds of baptists and many more different kinds of "non denominational" churches. And even within specific groups like Southern Baptists there will be further differences. You have to walk in and find out what and how each congregation believes and lives. "Labels" aren't really effective in this case.

Upvote 0

MatthewDiscipleofGod

Senior Veteran
Feb 6, 2002
Minnesota
Visit site
✟20,802.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
MrJim pretty much summed it up. Some nondenominational churches are identical to Baptist churches. Some times there are great differences. Since Baptist churches are often independent you have to take them by a case by case basis.

Upvote 0

hwyangel

Mar 25, 2012
✟15,466.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi Danni. I believe that Baptists as one member in the body of Christ is blessed with the spiritual gift of witnessing. They are very active in preaching the good word into all nations. Especially in third world countries the elderly, and childrens ministry. Though I prefer to consider myself an all denominational bible believer, I can identify with the non-denominational members for their spirit of teaching because I haven't fully realized my spiritual calling.

Upvote 0

GrayAngel

Sep 11, 2006
USA
✟21,292.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think one thing baptists should have in common with one another is their emphasis on baptism (hence the name). Mine insists on full-water baptism, not sprinkling, because sprinkling lacks the symbolism of immersion. It represents Christ's burial and resurrection, but for us it's death to sin and new life.

Anything beyond that, I don't know what Baptists would all agree on. Even within my own church, although there is a set theology for the church, I've found that there are a lot of (usually friendly) disagreements. Some believe in free will, others believe in predestination. Some believe God can change His mind, others think that's not so.

Upvote 0

hwyangel

Mar 25, 2012
✟15,466.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Romans 12
5 So we,being many,are one body in Christ,and every one members one of another.

6 Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us,whether prophecy,let us prophesy according to the proportion of faith;

7 Or ministry,let us wait on our ministering: or he that teacheth,on teaching;.....

Upvote 0

GrayAngel

Sep 11, 2006
USA
✟21,292.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Baptists seem to have a reputation for their lists of don'ts, but this seems to be changing, at least in my church. They used to be against tattoos, but now a lot of their leaders have tattoos. That rule has sort of faded out here. They also teach total abstinence from alcohol, but many in the church don't believe it's a sin to drink. In my opinion, Don'ts are good, as long as they're Biblical.

They also don't dance a lot. Don't know why. I guess they like to be dignified? But this doesn't mean they can't worship. They lift their hands, they sing along, they get into it. They just don't flop on the floor like dead fish, scream gibberish in the middle of services and/or prayer time, or act like a bunch of maniacs for one day out of the week, which I for one find refreshing. [/rant]

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

hwyangel

Mar 25, 2012
✟15,466.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
As a truck driver I attend different churches and denominations all over the country. I see non-denominational as a good place for new christain. You get the meat without the fancy stuff. For example it might be a little intimidating to a walk into a baptist church with everybody trying to hug on them or like a pentecostal church where everyone is dancing in the isles and shaking the lights off the fixtures or even a catholic church where you might be the only one who doesn't know when to kneel or how to say the prayers.

Upvote 0

DaniHorne

Apr 20, 2012
Salem
✟7,657.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
hwyangel said:
As a truck driver I attend different churches and denominations all over the country. I see non-denominational as a good place for new christain. You get the meat without the fancy stuff. For example it might be a little intimidating to a walk into a baptist church with everybody trying to hug on them or like a pentecostal church where everyone is dancing in the isles and shaking the lights off the fixtures or even a catholic church where you might be the only one who doesn't know when to kneel or how to say the prayers.

I totally agree with this! i have been in some baptist church services that seem to be more about the relationship with each other than the actual message being presented. and i have been in pentecostal services that downright scare me because i thought everyone was going into seizures at once. I dont understand why people have to categorize themselves if in the end they just believe in the bible. that is why i choose to be non denominational. i will go to any "label" of a church that teaches sound doctrine.

Upvote 0

hwyangel

Mar 25, 2012
✟15,466.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I enjoy the diversity. It's always about Gods word anyway.
Catholics have a spiritual gift of charity and their services are very reverent and prayerful. Pentecostals have a spiritual gift of tongues and healing and in their services they praise God with all they have. Two examples of very blessed denominations. We just need to understand our calling and where we fit into the body of Christ.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

pilgrim1999

Apr 10, 2012
Hammond, LA
Visit site
✟9,497.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Cultural issues like hugging or pot-lucks aside, here are some very general issues that often may separate the two in some cases:

1. Most Baptists will insist on baptism (by immersion) following a profession of faith and will insist on it prior to joining the church. While most non-denominational churches practice believer's baptism by immersion, sometimes they will not require immersion as a condition of church membership. Some won't even require baptism. And some non-denominational churches won't even have formal membership at all. (By insistence I don't mean it's insisted on as a condition of salvation. Most Baptists will instead say something like "Believer's baptism is the first step of obedience" after salvation.)

2. A smaller number of Baptists than #1 will also require believer's baptism (by immersion) prior to partaking in the Lord's Supper as well. Most if not all non-denominational churches will practice what is often called open communion where all who confess belief in Christ alone (and who aren't living in open and unrepentant rebellion/sin) are invited to partake. This would be the practice of the majority of Baptist churches today as well.

3. Historically, Baptists have usually practiced congregational church government, with decisions often being made by congregational vote. (What requires a vote will tend to vary from church to church.) To a somewhat greater extent, I think non-denominational churches will have more of the decisions made by elders or via some other non-democratic process. In recent years, there's been a move toward Baptists having multiple elders besides the pastor (a pastor is also an elder.) But if Baptist is on the door, the most important decisions (whatever that means in that church) will likely be made by a congregational vote.

4. In both cases, the churches are usually autonomous, meaning that no outside (human) authority can tell them what to do. Baptists more often will be part of some kind of Baptist denomination, convention or association. In these cases, they are still considered to be autonomous, but the affiliation is seen as a way to more effectively cooperate with like-minded churches to fulfill the Great Commission by planting new churches and sending out missionaries. In denominations like the Southern Baptist Convention, the Conservative Baptist Association and others, this includes supporting seminaries for the purpose of training pastors and other ministry workers.

In the above cases, the reasons for the different practices stem from differing interpretations of the Scriptures on these issues. Unfortunately, in some cases many people in the churches, including some in leadership, will not always be able to explain these things clearly i.e. why they do things different than other churches do. And that goes for all kinds of churches, not just non-denom or Baptist.

Of course, the above are generalizations. Both Baptist churches and non-denominational churches are basically independent and so it resists generalization in some cases. There are all kinds of Baptist churches, from Southern Baptist, to independent fundamental Baptist to Landmark Missionary Baptist, etc. With regard to non-denominational, many are independent "Bible" churches that are strongly opposed to things like speaking in tongues. (Most Baptists would oppose it too.) Whereas many other non-denominational churches will be charismatic and will embrace tongues and more. In certain parts of the country, particularly the rural South, it is often assumed that a non-denominational church is likely charismatic.

Many non-denominational churches (especially if it's a Bible church) will have a statement of faith that teaches a pretribulational rapture and will require all pastors, elders and teachers to agree with this. While many Baptists also believe that doctrine, often it will not be a requirement in order to pastor or teach.

Again, these are all just generalizations. Some non-denominational churches will be more "Baptist" in some respect than some Baptist churches.

With regard to particular churches, many will have a website which lists their beliefs that can tell you a lot about it prior to even setting foot in it. Since you are in the Pacific Northwest it might be even harder to generalize than it would be in other areas, perhaps especially with regard to Baptists.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

hwyangel

Mar 25, 2012
✟15,466.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My observations are only from experience. And in my experience the non-denominational churches seem to be more of a one-size-fits-all kind of deal. Like the saying "milk is for the baby and meat for the man". Non-denominational is for the baby christain. There are many that don't even have baptism like the truck stop chapels or prison ministries. Not because they don't believe in baptism, or speaking in tongues, or laying on of hands, any other spiritual gift. But because the non-denominational is alot like the baptist in their gift of witnessing. For those of us who haven't realized our calling yet it is a great first step.

Upvote 0
B

Blessedj01

LOL where did this hug thing come from? I've never seen that in a baptist church (not that it's bad, but yeah) :p

Baptists in my experiences have pretty humble church services, not intentionally boring at all and with good music and preaching, but minus the showiness that I've seen in some non-denominational churches. Course this is a huge generalization. I think there's a good line of tradition in baptists being level-headed and structurally sensible.

Also I see much less emphasis on the pastor/pastor's wife in baptist churches where i'm from.

Oh yeah and like was mentioned...baptists (usually) practice baptism by full body immersion. IMO this is pretty important and it's an important step for any new Christian to take when they're ready.

Last edited:
Upvote 0