✟558,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I was doing a little Internet browsing and came across a statement which said:

"I think when it comes to the atonement our debt was cancelled, not paid for. There’s a big difference."

Once again, this sounds like legal soteriology which is endemic in the West. What would be your take on the Cross having anything to do with any form of debt as opposed to healing mankind's nature from the consequences of sin?

Thank you.

SeventyOne

May 2, 2015
✟167,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
You mean like this?

Colossians 2:13-4: And you, who were dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, God made alive together with him, having forgiven us all our trespasses, by canceling the record of debt that stood against us with its legal demands. This he set aside, nailing it to the cross.

Reactions: gzt
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

yes, Christ paid the debt to sin and death, not to the irked Father. legal language is not wrong per say.

Last edited:
Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0

gzt

The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years
Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟117,925.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
And then there's the Lord's Prayer - forgive us our debts... We need to be careful about becoming too allergic to the idea of any kind of "legal" or "financial" metaphor for our atonement. We certainly can't reduce it to a legal transaction, but the way out of this is noticing all the plurality of models we have to describe it, not to throw out anything we want to avoid having it reduced to. All models are false, some are useful - as they say in a different field.

Upvote 0