• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The CF Faith Groups List has been updated. The Statement of Faith has also been updated (section on unorthodox Christian theology only). Please review both of these updates. If you would like to request a different faith group, please open a support ticket.

Did we owe a "debt?"

Discussion in 'The Ancient Way - Eastern Orthodox' started by Light of the East, Dec 7, 2017 at 1:54 PM.

1. Light of the East

Light of the East Ukrainian Greek Catholic Supporter

+832
    Catholic
    Married
    I was doing a little Internet browsing and came across a statement which said:

"I think when it comes to the atonement our debt was cancelled, not paid for. There’s a big difference."

Once again, this sounds like legal soteriology which is endemic in the West. What would be your take on the Cross having anything to do with any form of debt as opposed to healing mankind's nature from the consequences of sin?

Thank you.

2. SeventyOne

SeventyOne Not my faulty.

+1,394
    Calvary Chapel
    Married
    You mean like this?

Colossians 2:13-4: And you, who were dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, God made alive together with him, having forgiven us all our trespasses, by canceling the record of debt that stood against us with its legal demands. This he set aside, nailing it to the cross.

3. ArmyMatt

ArmyMatt Regular Member

+4,924
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    yes, Christ paid the debt to sin and death, not to the irked Father. legal language is not wrong per say.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017 at 2:30 PM
  4. gzt

gzt The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years

+1,206
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    And then there's the Lord's Prayer - forgive us our debts... We need to be careful about becoming too allergic to the idea of any kind of "legal" or "financial" metaphor for our atonement. We certainly can't reduce it to a legal transaction, but the way out of this is noticing all the plurality of models we have to describe it, not to throw out anything we want to avoid having it reduced to. All models are false, some are useful - as they say in a different field.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Hermit76

Hermit76 Member

+162
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    "...as we forgive our debtors." I think Our Father has a different relational context in that sense.