• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Did Trump supporters know they’d be paying for his tariffs on Chinese goods?

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Sparagmos, May 15, 2019.

1. TLK Valentine

TLK Valentine You will be who you will be. We are our choices.

+15,675
    Agnostic
    Single
    Among Donald's numerous other charms, we can add hypocrisy...

2. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+19,211
    Anglican
    Married
    Hard to say, but there was no secret made about it.

I'm curious, though, as to how we could "incentivize buying American" and "discourage buying goods from China"--without paying more for those goods, as happens with the imposition of tariffs.

3. HTacianas

HTacianas Well-Known Member

+4,026
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    It's not to reduce consumption of Chinese goods. It's meant to leverage China into trading fairly with the US.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Steve Petersen

Steve Petersen Senior Veteran

+3,187
    Deist
    US-Libertarian
    I understand the reasons for Nixon/Kissinger and Chinese Engagement. If things can be worked out in the marketplace rather than the battlefield, that is nothing but good IMO.

If we can create a world in which there is disincentive to war on your trading partners, that is desirable.

5. Sparagmos

Sparagmos Well-Known Member

+1,550
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    There are other ways but tariffs are the most obvious and logical way, IMO. I’m also for public/peer pressure. And heavily taxing businesses like wal-mart that get everything from China.

6. Sparagmos

+1,550
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    I’m not an expert, but in my efforts to understand the trade war I’m learning that economists don’t necessarily think that China isn’t “trading fairly.” That its normal for a rich country to import far more than we export because rich countries consume so much more.

7. Sparagmos

+1,550
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Just read this tweet from Trump:

"For 10 months, China has been paying Tariffs to the USA of 25% on 50 Billion Dollars of High Tech, and 10% on 200 Billion Dollars of other goods. These payments are partially responsible for our great economic results. The 10% will go up to 25% on Friday. 325 Billions Dollars," Trump tweeted Sunday.

So looks to me like he believes, or wants people to believe, that China is paying the tariffs and that is somehow boosting the economy already.

8. HTacianas

+4,026
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    China places tariffs on US made products to protect their domestic industries. But more importantly in China, and Asia in general, intellectual property rights are not part of their culture. Chinese manufacturers crank out untold numbers of brand name products including everything from Levis jeans to copies of movies and Microsoft Windows. They then sell those counterfeit products at a profit undercutting the patent and trademark holders. That is the sticking point in the negotiations. The Chinese government effectively refuses to adopt Western trademark traditions.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  9. Speedwell

Speedwell Well-Known Member

+7,639
    United States
    Other Religion
    Married
    Then why not attack the problem directly? Why not impose tariffs only on Chinese goods which are in violation of US intellectual property laws?

10. paul1149

paul1149 that your faith might rest in the power of God Supporter

+3,032
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    US-Republican
    For the record, I'm not Donald Trump and neither do I speak for him. But I can easily imagine his reason here being that he as a businessman is not interested in putting himself at a disadvantage to the competition. As long as the rules allow cheap Chinese sourcing, so be it, he's going to play by the rules. But as president he now has the opportunity to change the rules for the long-term good of the nation, and everyone, including his own companies, will have to look elsewhere or pay a little more for their goods, at least until the tariffs might no longer be necessary or viable domestic alternatives arise. I don't see this as hypocrisy.

11. HTacianas

+4,026
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    Products in violation of intellectual property laws are illegal to import into the US. Customs confiscates and destroys tons of counterfeit goods every year but cannot keep up with it. And it is difficult to enforce patent laws on products manufactured in China but shipped to other countries.

The Chinese government is complicit in trademark violations and refuses to enforce trademark laws but Chinese trademark holders can sue American manufacturers in US courts. It's completely one sided.

12. essentialsaltes

essentialsaltes Stranger in a Strange Land

+7,490
    Atheist
    Legal Union (Other)
    Except for Trump's numerous inaccurate statements suggesting that China was paying the tariffs.

How to influence buying behavior? Advertising.

[​IMG]

13. TLK Valentine

TLK Valentine You will be who you will be. We are our choices.

+15,675
    Agnostic
    Single
    There's rarely any secret about any of Donald's lies... his followers choose not to see them anyway.

Well, rather than artificially inflating the prices using the government, what kind of incentives could we offer US companies to actually make better products?

14. OldWiseGuy

OldWiseGuy A person of low ability. Supporter

+5,804
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    He's giving China "space to repent". It's a Godly principle.

15. OldWiseGuy

+5,804
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    How dare you hit the nail on the head! Twenty lashes with a wet noodle! :zoro:

16. OldWiseGuy

+5,804
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
  17. iluvatar5150

iluvatar5150 Newbie

+8,203
    Other Religion
    I’m not sure Trump himself knew.

China is acting unfairly in some ways, but the trade deficit has nothing to do with it. The trade deficit is just Trump’s proxy target due to his inability to understand and/or articulate the real problem.

18. Sparagmos

+1,550
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Ah, thanks.

19. Sparagmos

+1,550
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    But he’s supposedly rich enough to buy American and support American manufacturing. We can’t “bring manufacturing jobs back” unless Americans buy American.

20. CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN .

+2,235
    United States
    Seeker
    Single
    US-Others
    I don't pay much. Because I don't buy much. Good for me. But I'm more liberal minded.