Panevino

Sep 25, 2011
✟41,561.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I
Again, I repeat that it seems to be a great pity that your own Bible translators devised what, to you, seems to be a false, man-made, fad theology. You can thank your Saint Jerome for that. He knew full well what a brother and a sister were and what a step-brother, step-sister, cousin, or other relative was. However, he had the intellectual integrity to translate the gospel passages in question as brothers and sisters, being fully aware that they would be understood as brother and sisters of Jesus Christ and children of Mary. I am quite certain that Jerome never imagined that the brothers and sisters of Jesus Christ did not have the same mother. Was Joseph a philanderer or bigamist? I think not.
Jerome did.
Was Sarah a blood sibling sister or even a half sister of Abraham? He calls her that but it appears she was a cousin

Similar lot was a nephew (from memory) of Abraham.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟369,495.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I
Jerome did.
Was Sarah a blood sibling sister or even a half sister of Abraham? He calls her that but it appears she was a cousin

Similar lot was a nephew (from memory) of Abraham.

That was in the Old Testament, which, as you may recall, was written in Hebrew. Hebrew is not Greek and is vastly less precise in its vocabulary.

Upvote 0

Panevino

Sep 25, 2011
✟41,561.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
That was in the Old Testament, which, as you may recall, was written in Hebrew. Hebrew is not Greek and is vastly less precise in its vocabulary.
Do English translators use the word "sister" and "brother" today ? Yes, despite that some may misunderstand, particularly about Sarah

• Prayers
Reactions: Gabriel Anton
Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,356.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
And translated into Greek by Hebrew scholars, who used exactly the same terms. So there goes that argument.

• Prayers
Reactions: Gabriel Anton
Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟369,495.00
Faith
Non-Denom
And translated into Greek by Hebrew scholars, who used exactly the same terms. So there goes that argument.

Actually, translated into many languages, in which case the preferred translation from the Hebrew has been sister and brother, as you note. That said, my point does remain that the English translation of the Old Testament is from Hebrew, which is not Greek and, thus, the analogy between these passages fails.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,356.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Actually, translated into many languages, in which case the preferred translation from the Hebrew has been sister and brother, as you note. That said, my point does remain that the English translation of the Old Testament is from Hebrew, which is not Greek and, thus, the analogy between these passages fails.
But the English language does have words for cousin, uncle, nephew and step brother etc. So why haven't English translations of the Hebrew give the correct contextual translation?

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟369,495.00
Faith
Non-Denom
But the English language does have words for cousin, uncle, nephew and step brother etc. So why haven't English translations of the Hebrew give the correct contextual translation?

Because the Hebrew words carry all of these meanings, leaving the possibility that any of the English words could be use accurately. Greek, on the other hand, is much more specific, such that the words for brothers and sisters (adelphi and adelphoi) cannot mean cousins or other relatives. Greek does have words for these individuals whereas Hebrew does not.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,356.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Because the Hebrew words carry all of these meanings, leaving the possibility that any of the English words could be use accurately.
That is nonsense. We know that Lot is Abraham's nephew, so if the Hebrew word for "brother" encompasses "nephew" then the correct English translation in that verse ehen he is called Abraham's brother would be "nephew". The translators have left it as "brother", however.
Greek, on the other hand, is much more specific, such that the words for brothers and sisters (adelphi and adelphoi) cannot mean cousins or other relatives.
Not true. They have just as broad usage in Greek as they do in Hebrew.
Greek does have words for these individuals whereas Hebrew does not.
As does English. You are contradicting yourself.

Upvote 0